Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can I leave it until next month?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Golden rule always works. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Had a customer email me this week and say his missus had found another window cleaner half my price so they were cancelling. Asked if we had done anything wrong at all so we could rectify things. No nothing wrong the missus had just switched to her mums window cleaner as cheaper! 

I said thanks for the work over the last four years and see you around.

When he comes back to seek my services again the price will go up again as its a tricky house, gates etc that need unlocking by appointment bay windows on the front and round windows with lead too on some of them at least thirty five panes of glass so cheap at 25 I thought. Be 30 when he comes back.  Joy of window cleaning I guess.

Keep smiling soon be spring and we will be in demand again.!!!
Can almost guarantee that your former customer will be one of those who will be saying in a while "My last window cleaner just stopped coming" which if doing at half your price will happen!!!!. And reacting to the E-mail in polite manner means you are still on good terms with them, they know you, your reliability etc...so you will be hearing from them again.Happy days.

Good to see I have another fan ?.

Had a customer phone me last night who asked me can I leave her windows as my ‘special water’ is leaving stains on her patio ?.

I tried to talk to her but she just didn’t want to listen.

Sod her, soppy mare ?‍?

We lost an old girl because our water killed her rose bushes - in the middle of the garden. ?

Even her neighbour thought it was funny.

Bit of a flip here.Got a customer, texted night before for gate to be left unlocked, reply can you leave it this time on holiday in Florida. My reply was "course, no problem, enjoy the sun" Last year similar, texted, and he was on holiday in Scotland I seem to recall, same reply from me with "No problem".

If I see him or his wife in the street or Asda etc, I will not acknowledge them, you know why?, have never seen them!. My favourite type of customer, just communicate by text, money left in certain place, only access issue the gate which gets sorted.

Have been my customer for going on three years, picked up two walk ups on same street while doing is property,plus he recommended me to work mate who was looking for a window cleaner which I got and signed up.

If I acted the "Cannot run my business with you customers wanting a occasional miss" attitude, I would not have this valuable loyal customer today, and I added loyal, which is what I like to think I am to my custies in return with reliability.

As anybody been asked "can you leave the next clean as I'll be on holiday" then watch them blush in Tesco's while doing your weekly shop while they're supposed to be on their jollies?

I'm getting a bit confused reading the replies here, maybe I'm missing something, but what's the "please leave them, I'm on holiday" thing all about?

I've cleaned plenty of customers houses when they've been away, makes no difference to cleaning them ?

They just pay when they get back don't they?

I'm getting a bit confused reading the replies here, maybe I'm missing something, but what's the "please leave them, I'm on holiday" thing all about?

I've cleaned plenty of customers houses when they've been away, makes no difference to cleaning them ?

They just pay when they get back don't they?
Locked gates can be a pain.

Can almost guarantee that your former customer will be one of those who will be saying in a while "My last window cleaner just stopped coming" which if doing at half your price will happen!!!!. And reacting to the E-mail in polite manner means you are still on good terms with them, they know you, your reliability etc...so you will be hearing from them again.Happy days.
I started to question that phrase a while back. Sometimes you find out the previous windy was charging £7 and you’re at £15... there’s the answer. Sometimes they cancel if there are clouds in the sky etc etc etc. Asking them about it doesn’t weed out all the messers but it’s given me an opportunity to address potential problems early.

Howdy guys and gals,

Getting chilly out there now and with the bad weather I have had my first "er can we leave it until next month mate, they don't need doing".  This is after 8 weeks of them being cleaned.  Told the customer I can't run a business on an as and when needed basis.  They confirmed they are not on holiday, they just want to skip.  What do you reckon?  Messer get rid and move on?  I mean if they do it once the'y'll just do it again right?  Your thoughts and experiences with this form of messerisms?

I explained to the customer with this text "Hello, I can't run my business on a as and when basis.  I maintain the windows so the dirt does not build up.  I book people into slots for a clean on my 4 and 8 week rounds.  You are on my 8 week round.  Would you like me to remove you?"  She responded "Yes, and to be honest I am very surprised, you have any business, as you are so rude".  What you reckon?  Was I too blunt?  I just can entertain customers who think we are there when they feel the windows need doing, its a waste of my time.  Would you guys have handled this any differently? 

Cheers
Hey Dino,as HWCS & various guys replied buddy.

1) Dont take it personally,instead use that as your "demon to bounce back",gain another 2 or so clients.

2) Remember the lesson to be diplomatic to a client.I agree with you Dino..Clients can tend to stretch it out abit annoyingly...polite but Assertively as HWCS said: Explain,they would have gone past their "clean date",dirt will build up,back to the start (ThereFore,Client In Reality IS Back To Initial Clean Costing Them More Money,As Its Your Time !).There'll be an Extra charge im afraid.Dont Let It Grind Ya Fella???.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s a interesting one for you. I don’t think I’ve posted about this customer before. 

She has started cancelling cleans citing night shift as being the reason. Now of course this would normally lead to me dumping her but here’s the thing. Every clean bar one, she has always given me a £5 tip. Now, she is at the point where she cancels every second clean but then pays the normal amount plus £5 tip the next visit. The thing is, if she was bi-monthly her price would have been a standard £5 increase as that’s what I add on for them. So really, I’m making the same money, so I’m happy to continue playing this game. ?

Locked gates can be a pain.

Yes fair enough ?

Though I've not seen anyone with a locked back gate in my area, none of my customers or quoted jobs have had a lock on the gate that I've ever noticed.

Maybe it's just in certain parts of the country that people lock their back gates?

Here’s a interesting one for you. I don’t think I’ve posted about this customer before. 

She has started cancelling cleans citing night shift as being the reason. Now of course this would normally lead to me dumping her but here’s the thing. Every clean bar one, she has always given me a £5 tip. Now, she is at the point where she cancels every second clean but then pays the normal amount plus £5 tip the next visit. The thing is, if she was bi-monthly her price would have been a standard £5 increase as that’s what I add on for them. So really, I’m making the same money, so I’m happy to continue playing this game. ?
If your client has started cancelling cleans,it depends how she is paying you,or have i missed something ?.

If your client has started cancelling cleans,it depends how she is paying you,or have i missed something ?.
So she’s £15 a clean. I text her before hand as she has a locked gate. Every second time I text her she now says not to do them, citing night shift, they look clean enough, etc. However, as she always tips me £5 she is actually paying £20. So even though she cancels every 2nd clean, she then pays £20 which is how much I would charge her for a bi-monthly clean. So include making the same money so don’t want to complain. I hope this makes sense! ?

So she’s £15 a clean. I text her before hand as she has a locked gate. Every second time I text her she now says not to do them, citing night shift, they look clean enough, etc. However, as she always tips me £5 she is actually paying £20. So even though she cancels every 2nd clean, she then pays £20 which is how much I would charge her for a bi-monthly clean. So include making the same money so don’t want to complain. I hope this makes sense! ?
It makes sense now mate..yes..All well & good now...Id be careful,once she realises whats been happening..how much of a Stink is she prepared to kick up ???‍♂️...I see your point & what shes doing..id just be mindful..Nothing much bothers me..you just want UN Wanted attention fella,thats all ?

It makes sense now mate..yes..All well & good now...Id be careful,once she realises whats been happening..how much of a Stink is she prepared to kick up ???‍♂️...I see your point & what shes doing..id just be mindful..Nothing much bothers me..you just want UN Wanted attention fella,thats all ?
I don’t think there is any issue to have. I only charge her £15 and she gives me the £5 tip. If this changes then in time I’ll address it, but I don’t ask for the tip. ?

I don’t think there is any issue to have. I only charge her £15 and she gives me the £5 tip. If this changes then in time I’ll address it, but I don’t ask for the tip. ?

I have a customer like this, quoted and agreed on £12 but they always pay £15. Told them twice and said don't worry about it.

plenty of people out there that see the benefits of a regular and good quality clean .

I have a customer like this, quoted and agreed on £12 but they always pay £15. Told them twice and said don't worry about it.

plenty of people out there that see the benefits of a regular and good quality clean .
Yeah the good customers are great. I have a few that tip every time, others every now and then and others at Christmas. It’s always good practice to remember then when we’re pulling our hair out over non-payers. Yes folk can be a pain but a lot more folk are decent than aren’t! 

Yeah the good customers are great. I have a few that tip every time, others every now and then and others at Christmas. It’s always good practice to remember then when we’re pulling our hair out over non-payers. Yes folk can be a pain but a lot more folk are decent than aren’t! 
I mentioned this before, but it’s a nice tale so I like telling it. Anyway when I first started around 25 years back, a customer asked me what my favourite chocolate is, to which I replied a topic.

Nearly every time I’ve done his windows, right up til now, he has a topic waiting for me.

Only twice as there been an exception to this. He couldn’t get a topic so he got me a twix instead, and even apologised! What a lovely guy ?

I mentioned this before, but it’s a nice tale so I like telling it. Anyway when I first started around 25 years back, a customer asked me what my favourite chocolate is, to which I replied a topic.

Nearly every time I’ve done his windows, right up til now, he has a topic waiting for me.

Only twice as there been an exception to this. He couldn’t get a topic so he got me a twix instead, and even apologised! What a lovely guy ?
Sounds like a legend! It’s small things like that that show folk are appreciate!

Steve Garwood: Thats great,nothing wrong with that fella.A Twix..crumbly toffee..A Topic (one of my Fav's)..A great rapport  mate..Thought a Lion Bar would be more in Line???.

Should have just nicely said OK no bother.

Then put the customer on a flexible anytime basis clean when it suits you and text before arriving to avoid a wasted trip.

On 1st Jan 2020 when you increase your prices put this customers price up by 25%.

I've got a couple days worth of this type of work, they get done 8 - 12 weeks when I need jobs to fill in a spare hour or two.

Once a year I dump the least profitable of them.

The premium price makes up for the extra hassle involved.

Should have just nicely said OK no bother.

Then put the customer on a flexible anytime basis clean when it suits you and text before arriving to avoid a wasted trip.

On 1st Jan 2020 when you increase your prices put this customers price up by 25%.

I've got a couple days worth of this type of work, they get done 8 - 12 weeks when I need jobs to fill in a spare hour or two.

Once a year I dump the least profitable of them.

The premium price makes up for the extra hassle involved.

That’s ok we hen you are still building a round but not an option when you are full as no spare time to do it , we just dump and replace them with better paying jobs , but to be fair rarely get this now as customers are told before we take them in how we work . 

Back