Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Canvassing another window cleaners area

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Canvass were you want, But i have never in over 17 years asked other cleaners prices as I really don't want to know, Although I am the most expensive in my area  so it does't matter anyway  :1f602: :1f602:  and I get the vast majority of my quoted jobs just not a few lately as people are used to paying peanuts .

Canvass were you want, But i have never in over 17 years asked other cleaners prices as I really don't want to know, Although I am the most expensive in my area  so it does't matter anyway  :1f602: :1f602:  and I get the vast majority of my quoted jobs just not a few lately as people are used to paying peanuts .
Like I say, it's no good for any of us if you undercut. Knowing the pricing in that area keeps every1 calm, the prices windies charge on every estate that I have canvassed are all very different. As long as my customers are happy. That's all that counts 

Although I am not currently cleaning windows I want to add something as I think its fairly important and a lot of info and mentality we used back ten years ago in window cleaning might now be out of date. And I just fancy a bit of a rant really.

Something has happened in window cleaning since I was last in the game.  Nicely paid (relevant to other jobs most of them could be doing) teams bombing around in vans throwing water at windows and then jumping back in the van and out of the street in 5 mins.  I am not talking about the fast sole trader who has a mate in the van trying to do a good job quickly.  I am talking about two staff left up to their own devices that somehow think its fine to pretend to do a job.  I went to one of my friends houses and the windows looked like they had not been done in a year... they were done two days before.  £6 they paid for this, every 4 weeks.  I said it should be £10 or at least £9, not looking for work as I am not cleaning windows, just telling my mate why the work was so bad.  "I would pay £10 no problem if it was done right" he replied and asked me if I knew anyone.  This should highlight to you that the best customers are more bothered about the quality than saving one or two quid a month, or even four quid in this case. 

But some of these teams are charging the right money, and still doing a terrible job.

And some of them are over charging, and still doing a terrible job.

Going back to my friend, If you was cleaning them to a good standard at £10 and the old window cleaner came back in at £5 do you think he would get the work back?  Do you think if anyone at all came in at £5 when you are doing a great job at £10 that they would take the work off you after he has seen what cheap can look like?

These teams are your competition these days on the price front, and if you want to ask how much they are charging for this service so that you can price them in to that job for longer by bumping up your own price and price yourself out of a job then that is going to be a real problem.  When people say "do not undercut" what they actually mean do not undercut yourself because that is one of the ways you can undervalue yourself.  Another way to undervalue yourself is to think everyone else who cleans windows is the same as you.  Strive to do a good job, strive to earn good money doing it, and do not care what the business model of those around you is or how much they charge for it.

If a customer does move because of price, eventually they will get exactly what they paid for.

Like I say, it's no good for any of us if you undercut. Knowing the pricing in that area keeps every1 calm, the prices windies charge on every estate that I have canvassed are all very different. As long as my customers are happy. That's all that counts 

Sorry I am still baffled what other lads charge shouldn't matter at all. So I don't see why you are asking a unsuspecting person on a cold call.

If you are doing a quality job and that's reflected in your pricing then that's what matters, If you are concerned you're pricing is wrong why don't you ask the other cleaner's in those areas how much they charge I am sure they will happily tell you [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

So guys.....it dont matter to you that people pay thousands for rounds only for a chancer to go and knock on??? Not good in my opinion. I understand if a customer wants to change cleaner and they approach you

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

England is my area.

So guys.....it dont matter to you that people pay thousands for rounds only for a chancer to go and knock on??? Not good in my opinion. I understand if a customer wants to change cleaner and they approach you

Sadly, this is the nature of the beast in this dog eat dog world.

I wouldn't deliberately go and try nick someone else work thou! That's a bit different.

I've enjoyed how much debate has been created within this thread; shows a lot of hard working individuals/businesses who are out to earn an honest living with good quality work.

IMO prices should be totally private, unless a new customer openly 'tells you' what they're paying/paid for their previous/existing cleaner.

Just recently, in an area I've covered and built over the last few years (150+ houses), another window cleaner sold off about £1500 worth of work but didn't introduce ANY of his customers to the new cleaners. In the past month I've gained about 10 of those customers, simply because the previous guy who 'sold HIS round' didn't inform customers or introduce the new team (the customers approached me, for anyone interested. I already covered some houses on their street).
What happened in the sale is absolutely none of my business, but I'm more than happy to work for anyone who requests my services and is willing to pay my prices, regardless of who reckons they own a territory.

Moral is, as many have stated in this thread, customers are people; you have absolutely no right to their property or 'cleaning on this patch', like everyone else trying to earn a living. Do a good job consistently, never let anyone down, charge honestly, and enjoy what you do - you'll never lose any custom. If you're out to earn a fortune or rip people off, you'll shoot yourself down in a matter of months.

The only way someone else could target the actual customers on a bought round is if the seller dishonestly provides them with a list.  Otherwise they would just be coincidental on a canvassers program - no different from an existing round that wasn't up for sale.

An honest seller would give some sort of guarantee, and include an offer of introducing the buyer to the customers so they would know the 'chancer' wasn't the one who had bought the round

The only thing they have paid for is an introduction at best, or at worst just a list of customers that are being dropped by the window cleaner that sold the list.  They have not bought the customers mate, the customers are never for sale and can never be bought.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that if you are canvassing an area where there are a lot of other window cleaners be prepared to pick up a lot of "messers" who other window cleaners have dropped (ie: non-payers, 'not this timers' etc...).

Very true, but on the opposite side of things there are many people who've gone years without a window cleaner and decide sporadically that they want one (don't want newbies to feel completely out on their own when there's always potential, willing, long term customers out there)...

Yep - and not all customers like the thought of them being sold on like some kind of commodity. 

People get funny about that. From their side - What if they don't like him?? Can get a bit awkward, as he'll feel it his as he bought it, but actually - it's all botox and untangible. (is that a word?!) 

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing they have paid for is an introduction at best, or at worst just a list of customers that are being dropped by the window cleaner that sold the list.  They have not bought the customers mate, the customers are never for sale and can never be bought.
EXACTLY TRUE.

It all goes back to doing a good job on your customers windows and charging accordingly. Then they stay, of course some will get lured by "better offers" pricewise.........hey but that,s life.

Why should i care if someone has payed loads for a round?

I will knock any door i like it is up to the customer to :

A tell me they already have a windie

B say sorry i don't want a windie

C say how much? I could do with a window cleaner 

D say i have one but he is useless/unreliable

If you payed for a round but can't keep your customers there is something wrong with how you work.. simple as that

It's not my responsibility to know who cleans what and i also need to pay my bills which in this free market we have i will do any way i have to

Paying £1,000s for a round off another cleaner or a canvasser isn't a  guaruntee that the work is yours longterm, The client will ultimately decide who they would like as their cleaner whether that is based on the quality of the job or the price its up to them

Why should i care if someone has payed loads for a round?
I will knock any door i like it is up to the customer to :
A tell me they already have a windie
B say sorry i don't want a windie
C say how much? I could do with a window cleaner 
D say i have one but he is useless/unreliable
If you payed for a round but can't keep your customers there is something wrong with how you work.. simple as that

It's not my responsibility to know who cleans what and i also need to pay my bills which in this free market we have i will do any way i have to
It was a question i asked..... im well liked on my rounds and have had them for years. I dont need to go looking

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Exactly

Nobody owns work which is why i have never bought any

Someone owns a house and decides who they want to do the job

Plumbers etc don't have their own exclusive customers and nor does anyone else

Why do windies think they do?

I had one guy tell me "this is my area i work round here"

I told him he needs to be a bit bigger than he is if he wants to try and intimidate me lol

It won't wash with me

Back