Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning Aluminium foil from windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

HanSolo

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the WindowCleaning forums so first of all thanks to everyone for the wealth of information on here.

I've got a specific question that I'd be grateful for any suggestions for - couldn't find a solution using the search function.

I've come across some white marks on the inside of windows that seem very stubborn - on chatting with the customer we worked out that its markings from having aluminium (kitchen) foil against the window to block light, which has since been removed. You can see the grid pattern from the foil on the windows. Perhaps aluminium oxide?

Any tips on method / products that can remove these marks, please?

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Hummm that’s a new one not come across that before I assume you have tried al, the usual things like vikal , solvent cleaner , and scraper .
Hi ,

Thanks for taking time reply Pjj.

Limelite (a limescale remover a bit like viakal) and alcohol based cleaner didn't work for me unfortunately. It was such a large area I didn't try scraper until I'd learnt more about how to tackle this type of problem.

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this?

Interesting. When I moved in to my current house there was aluminium foil over all the windows that had been badly removed. House had been used to grow weed. Ended up using pcv solvent to remove it and the adisive. Ended up working out quite nicely
Thanks so much for the suggestions, Mattlekim and Scottish Cleaning service.

Will try this out on my next visit.

I should add there is no evidence of mass weed cultivation by this customer in her 70's!! ?.......She explained it was to reduce sunlight in the summer heatwave.

Back