Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why I've Been Absent From Wcf For 8 Months.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Masons

Hello all,

It's long time no speak from me and I've decided to come back to explain why, not because I feel I have to or that you want an explanation but because I want to for those who'll wonder and also as an aid to those who may now or one day go through what I've gone through.

For those of you who do not know me I'm Will and I've been a member since October 2011, so almost 2 and a half years.

For the past 10-12 years, or at least as long as I can remember, I've had sciatica, a sharp pain running down from the base of my back to my knee in my left leg. It's something I've tried treating before with physiotherapy on the nhs.

But the problem would arise only when I'd done a particularly long day and would go the day after so I never thought much to it.

Then, last July on Monday the 2nd I started the day normally but by then end I was in agony with my sciatica.

The rest of the week showed no improvement and it's been the same since.

I haven't been on here because I've had a lot on my plate trying to keep the business going, keep the family going and get through this injury.

It turns out one of my legs is 8mm longer than the other, which has meant my spine is curved and twisted, and my body has been functioning for the last 27 years in a position it shouldn't have to.

My back in particular has been working at full capacity, growing and then working in a position incredibly unsuited.

I tried physiotherapy for 3 months, no use. And while doing this I had been booked in to get an MRI scan to determine if it was maybe, a medical condition with my bones, a tumour or other problem affecting my nerves in my back.

It turns out one of my discs in my back is severely prolapsed and has constricted the nerves in my back to a very tiny area, and has given me constant, day and night pain.

But since October I have been seeing a chiropractor, who FULLY explained how everything worked and gave me advice which has meant that I've been able to work and exercise while trying to correct this.

During this time also a surgeon said surgery to cut away this disc herniation would be a long term solution to my problem.

I had some progress as I said with my chiropractor, exercises, massage and skeletal reallignment have greatly helped me but he also agree'd at the end of 3 months of treatment that the only real solution to my problem would be the surgery, I showed him the MRI scan and agree'd that the disc prolapse was at a size that wouldn't heal itself.

So since January I've been on the waiting list for surgery, I'm booked in for May 1st, the day before my 4th wedding anniversary, for a microdiscectomy. And recovery should be 6-8 weeks, meaning by the time I'm back at work, a full year of my life will have been affected.

I write this also for any window cleaners out their who experience similar pains in either or both legs which could be a sciatica to see a Doctor immediately.

I've paid a huge price for my being too lenient with my health.

There's a 95% chance I'll recover and be able to continue working as a window cleaner, but there's a 5% chance my nerves may be permanently damaged, to any degree from loss of sensation or considerable pain, and there's also the chance that surgery could leave me paralised or in very very rare cases dead (very small risk but it has been something that I think of a fair bit).

I'm hoping to continue on here, come back regularly but so much time before was spend trying to get things done with great difficulty or trying to escape the situation by reading or watching tv or playing games, as coming on here was hard as I want to work, and I love work, I love my business and love providing for my wife but when I couldn't I didn't want to constantly be thinking about things I couldn't do.

So yes, my reasons are here. I hope everyone is ok and from what I've briefly seen it seems to be doing well.

And welcome to all the new ones too.

If this post can help just one of you I'll be glad.

Thank you for reading. /emoticons/smile.png

Good to see you posting again, i have never come across you before (fairly new)

Welcome back and good luck!!!!

Nice to have you back Mason sorry to hear about your sciatica I know it is a pain I injured my back approx. 20 years ago and every since then it get a bit of sciatica running down the back of right leg thankfully not often and manly in the winter .I hope the operation goes well and you get back on track with your business

Echoing thoughts from the other guys Mason. I hope the treatment works out for ya and everything including the family and business hold it together in the meantime. I had wondered actually so good to see ya back and good luck Im sure all our thoughts will be with ya on the big day.

Was thinking about you the other day and wondered why we haven't seen you about, glad to see you back on.

Hope all goes well with it all,

I too was wondering where you had gotten!!

I was offered surgery to try straighten my spine after I crushed 3 vertabrates. I was interested until he said we go through your chest, lift a few things out of the way to get to my spine, build it up like mechano with rods and screws, and take bone from my hip to replace the crushed bone.. I was warned I could be left paralyzed or dead, was something like 97% success.. My luck I'd be in that 3% so I passed on it.. Thing hat worries me is what will I be like in 10 or 20 years or older, only 26 now..

Hope all goes well for may pal

Good luck mate with everything,got mw thinking myself many thanks and all the best to you,really hope it works out.

I wondered what happened to you too!

Good to see you back, at the same time sorry about your sciatica and hope your treatment goes well!

Thanks guys. Yeah can't believe how long it's been. Feels to some degree yesterday since I was here regularly. Hope to be fully returned, it's not the biggest surgery in the world and it's done regularly enough nowadays it's just I'm a very active person and window cleaning is my career so been a struggle.

I'll keep you all posted as to what happens and get myself reaquainted on here.lol

Nice to meet you, sorry to hear about this.

Can I ask was it pain from back to knee or just in back or just in knee?

I get pain in my lower back and sometimes my left knee but always assumed it was from where I got hit by a car...

Certainly makes you think

Hi Mason.....I'm new here, but thought i would say good luck......I know exactly how you feel as i had the same operation as you are booked in for nearly 18 years ago now.

I injured my back at the age of 15, felt better, got on with life. Then started in the building game, lots of heavy lifting and bending and would get the odd twinge. Had some physio and all sorted. But then had a car accident that was the down hill spiral to ending up having surgery. I was taking some serious pain killers and stupidly also taking any other tablets i could to numb the pain, so know how you feel.

The day came for my opp and i was scared of being the couple of percent that it goes wrong for, but had it done.

Anyone who has had this type of pain will tell you how awful it is, it can take over as it is never ending. I had the opp and when i first came round felt terrible, but your spin and nerves have gone through a big shock and after a few days this does start to calm down......keep your pain killers topped up!! Its a long process and leaning curve getting back to health again. Take your time, listen to your physio and you will be back to health.

At the time of my opp i had been working on a race course as a groundsman (a break from building for other reasons) Anyway, due to this my physio signed me off for 2 months. Then when i went back i did light duties. But my job involved lots of walking and i am sure that this helped. I also cycled to work.

I eventually went back into building working for myself due to lack of money! But since divorced her lol......

That was 17 years ago, I will always have a weakness and i wont lie i do get some back pain, but not the sciatica. But i havent done my self any favours doing building and roofing work for all these years. This is one of the reasons i have ended up here, I am moving my business into window cleaning, and small property maintenance. At 44 i feel i really should try and stop any further problems.

My biggest advice is to you, .....take your time, no point rushing your recovery to get back to work....it wont help! After you have finished physio, do your exercises regular, stretch and think before doing things. Listen to your body and if you are feeling some pain, ease up for the day. I dont regret having the op ever, yes i have a weakness there and yes i get the odd back pain. But nothing like i ever had and i have had 17 years mostly pain free which without the opp i think i would of shot myself by now.

Anyway......long winded hello.....Good luck, take care

James

Hi Masons... Am fairly new here so not seen you around before (although think I've seen some of your posts on older threads I've read), but all the best with your recovery and wish you, your family and job well /emoticons/smile.png

Nice to meet you, sorry to hear about this. Can I ask was it pain from back to knee or just in back or just in knee? I get pain in my lower back and sometimes my left knee but always assumed it was from where I got hit by a car... Certainly makes you think
I get pain running all the way down to my knee from the base of my back, with the strongest pain being square in the middle of my pelvis. It runs through, but I'd suggest seeing someone about the problem you have. Any pain that lasts longer than a few weeks, even if it's a recurring pain from old injury I'd check out.

Hi Mason.....I'm new here, but thought i would say good luck......I know exactly how you feel as i had the same operation as you are booked in for nearly 18 years ago now.I injured my back at the age of 15, felt better, got on with life. Then started in the building game, lots of heavy lifting and bending and would get the odd twinge. Had some physio and all sorted. But then had a car accident that was the down hill spiral to ending up having surgery. I was taking some serious pain killers and stupidly also taking any other tablets i could to numb the pain, so know how you feel.

The day came for my opp and i was scared of being the couple of percent that it goes wrong for, but had it done.

Anyone who has had this type of pain will tell you how awful it is, it can take over as it is never ending. I had the opp and when i first came round felt terrible, but your spin and nerves have gone through a big shock and after a few days this does start to calm down......keep your pain killers topped up!! Its a long process and leaning curve getting back to health again. Take your time, listen to your physio and you will be back to health.

At the time of my opp i had been working on a race course as a groundsman (a break from building for other reasons) Anyway, due to this my physio signed me off for 2 months. Then when i went back i did light duties. But my job involved lots of walking and i am sure that this helped. I also cycled to work.

I eventually went back into building working for myself due to lack of money! But since divorced her lol......

That was 17 years ago, I will always have a weakness and i wont lie i do get some back pain, but not the sciatica. But i havent done my self any favours doing building and roofing work for all these years. This is one of the reasons i have ended up here, I am moving my business into window cleaning, and small property maintenance. At 44 i feel i really should try and stop any further problems.

My biggest advice is to you, .....take your time, no point rushing your recovery to get back to work....it wont help! After you have finished physio, do your exercises regular, stretch and think before doing things. Listen to your body and if you are feeling some pain, ease up for the day. I dont regret having the op ever, yes i have a weakness there and yes i get the odd back pain. But nothing like i ever had and i have had 17 years mostly pain free which without the opp i think i would of shot myself by now.

Anyway......long winded hello.....Good luck, take care

James
Your experience comforts me, as you said and you couldn't have put it better...

"Anyone who has had this type of pain will tell you how awful it is, it can take over as it is never ending."

I've experience panic attacks and anxiety with it as sleep is hard and some nights never comes and doing even basic things take all your energy to do without screaming and giving up.

But knowing there's a light at the end of the tunnel and knowing that once surgery is done that a lot of my progress lies with me is comforting and thanks for your story.

I've scheduled 8 full weeks off work, I'm struggling round it now and am struggling for money so another 8 weeks of having no income can't hurt me more (it feels hehe).

I just know that once I can work my destiny is back in my hands to a large degree, the surgery couldn't come soon enough.

It affects your every day activities, affects work, my marriage, my hobbies and the time and things I can do with my family.

I won't rush and your words won't fall on deaf ears. Thanks again.

Thought you fell out with someone on the forum...

Anyway...

Do you like the new forum, am sure you were gone before the new forum came about?

Been alot of changes too /emoticons/smile.png

Back