Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Commercial window cleaning prices

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ours are running 8 hours a day its difficult to be precise on fuel consumption as they are plumbed into the vehicles fuel tanks but I think it uses around 1:1-1:2 ltr per hour , which is more than the manufacturers figures we have two Ionic’s thermopures and one Grippatank 9 kw two man set up all use very similar amounts of fuel although the Ionic’s ones are a different model Wabasto boiler .
I heard one can run the heater with red diesel but one would need a separate tank.

Why do ones use diesel for hot water systems surely gas or coils much cheaper??
Gas has so many hazards associated with it as far as I know the only WFP supply company that fitted gas boilers was that firm from wales ,who are no longer in business fitting systems Ionic’s after two years stop producing them due to the H&S issues , also if you employ it’s a minefield with gas boilers in vans .

I thought red diesel had been banned? No one sells it down here anymore and a couple of farmer customers started complaining around 18 months ago that they were having to use road diesel due to the changes in the law ?..
Yep Red Diesel banned for most purposes in April 2022. Technically still allowed for farming but a lot more paperwork so lots of suppliers just binned it off.

Yep Red Diesel banned for most purposes in April 2022. Technically still allowed for farming but a lot more paperwork so lots of suppliers just binned it off.
I thought boats used it but I remember they were talking of doing away with it. Some companies are still selling it or so they say on the net but it looks like its on the way out. I guess one could use heating oil at 97p a litre plus vat.

I have just googled it and it appears farmers and agricultural businesses can still use it , we have loads of farming around hear but no one sells red diesel anymore the pumps have been removed , so not really sure what the situation is , not that it affects me but just interested.

Ours is supplied from a seperate Gerry Can and it cost us around £1.50 an hour to run. This also included the recirculation frost stat that must of ran a few hours during the night. We don’t know how much it used doing this so probably around £1.40 an hour whilst cleaning windows.
That’s the only way to get an accurate fuel usage rate

I have just googled it and it appears farmers and agricultural businesses can still use it , we have loads of farming around hear but no one sells red diesel anymore the pumps have been removed , so not really sure what the situation is , not that it affects me but just interested.
I think easiest way now is for the farmers to have their own bunded storage tank and get it delivered by the 1000 litres. Retail from a pump probably is too difficult due to paperwork.

@scottish cleaning service

The boating community can still use red diesel for heating and propulsion. But the agreement is that when filling up a canal boat with red diesel, there is a 60/40 tax mix. You pay full tax on 60% of the bill as that's treated as propulsion and 40% at a lower tax rate as that is treated as heating. At the pump you can specify a different percentage. Each fill up is invoiced with your details, so expect a visit from HMRC if you declare that 80 or 90% of your diesel is for heating. You have to be able to justify any alteration of the accepted tax split.

If you run a fishing boat, then you may still use red diesel legally, as can farmers. Technically, they can only use a tractor running on the road between fields using red diesel, but farmers don't always adhere to the rules as it's too complex for the government to police. So they turn a blind eye to the practice.

Red diesel is no longer legal for commercial use. It can only be legally used for personal heating requirements. If you were using an air diesel heater to heat the inside of your motor home, then using red diesel is totally legal. However, using it to heat water for commercial use as window cleaners is no longer allowed from April 2022. Red diesel isn't allowed to be used in the fuel tank of your motor home, so you would need a separate fuel tank for the diesel used for heating. All building sites and landscapers for example now have to use road diesel, where they were allowed to use red diesel before.

@scottish cleaning service

The boating community can still use red diesel for heating and propulsion. But the agreement is that when filling up a canal boat with red diesel, there is a 60/40 tax mix. You pay full tax on 60% of the bill as that's treated as propulsion and 40% at a lower tax rate as that is treated as heating. At the pump you can specify a different percentage. Each fill up is invoiced with your details, so expect a visit from HMRC if you declare that 80 or 90% of your diesel is for heating. You have to be able to justify any alteration of the accepted tax split.

If you run a fishing boat, then you may still use red diesel legally, as can farmers. Technically, they can only use a tractor running on the road between fields using red diesel, but farmers don't always adhere to the rules as it's too complex for the government to police. So they turn a blind eye to the practice.

Red diesel is no longer legal for commercial use. It can only be legally used for personal heating requirements. If you were using an air diesel heater to heat the inside of your motor home, then using red diesel is totally legal. However, using it to heat water for commercial use as window cleaners is no longer allowed from April 2022. Red diesel isn't allowed to be used in the fuel tank of your motor home, so you would need a separate fuel tank for the diesel used for heating. All building sites and landscapers for example now have to use road diesel, where they were allowed to use red diesel before.
Thanks spruce nice to have a consise easy to understand explanation ?

I think easiest way now is for the farmers to have their own bunded storage tank and get it delivered by the 1000 litres. Retail from a pump probably is too difficult due to paperwork.
Farmers always have and still do they have to able to fill all there tractors etc at the farm, let me know the next time you see a massive crop sprayer or a combine at your local garage ?

Latest Posts

Back