Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cost of running lpg hot water

• Thread starter Stayclearwindowcleaning
  • Start date
WCF

Help Support WCF:

I use a hot water system, DIY set up that runs off LPG 19kg canister.

I use it all year round and personally wouldn't go back to cold water as I find it cleans the whites, fascias, conservatory roofs especially much easier. Birds muck is easier to tackle even if really stubborn.

The other main benefit is that the hose stays more supple even when running approx 30/35 degrees, the hose is easier to handle and kinks less often and it will lay flat without curling up in the air, that way its less likely to get caught up on all the usual objects, branches and bin wheels etc.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I need to fit one or 2 to our van but really am unsure what one to get...
8L Tankless Propane Gas LPG Instant On-Demand Hot Water Heater With Showers

That's the one I use from Amonstar on eBay. Good service from them, always reply and turns up faster than they predict on postage.

You have to have a little play about with the controls to get it just right and the water flow and the flame **** can be turned just ever so slightly to get the boiler to go from not firing to just enough but when it's set I generally just leave it alone and it's been fine for 3 years now.

I only needed to replace the last one because I left it full of water one winter night and hadn't flicked the switch on the extension lead for the overnight van heater..... -5 degrees and it split the brass inlet pipe [emoji51].

Cost me £100 for that particular lesson! I haven't forgotten since the though.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello Chris,

Easy to set up. It was a bit daunting to begin with but all very simple really. When I first got things set up for the boiler I was thinking it would be too expensive to run and just another thing to potentially go wrong or leak etc but I wouldn't want to be without the hot water now.

Cost wise I pay £33 for the 19kg LPG refill and at approx 20 houses (going by roughly average size) 5 days per week I reckon 3 weeks refill needed.

Although that would depend on a lot of different things like, conservatories, if you do extra on frames and doors etc and obviously some like to run it hotter but mine is usually between 40-45 degrees after it's on for a minute or so. I change the canister every 4 weeks approximately and I always keep a spare full one in the garage as I get annoyed even if I have to do one day or a half day with the cold!

@Dean Rogers thanks for all that detailed information.

I have it watched on eBay now.

Is there anything else I'd need to buy to set this up with my new van mount? I'll be doing a whole round of first cleans wfp and this would be so handy for frames expecially; and then for removing maintenance clean bird **** etc

The gas barb fitting comes with it in 10mm and the gas line (not included) fits on with a squeeze but you will need jubilee clips for each end. 2 x hozelock type tap connectors with the 1/2" female to 3/4" male (usual ones is window cleaners use) as the thread on the inlet and outlet is 1/2".

Then just the hose to go from the pump to boiler and boiler to the hose reel....then you're cooking on gas [emoji618]️ [emoji91]

Also the batteries that come with it will get you by for a while but aren't great quality so I got some Duracell 2x size D and spares. I pulled the old boiler apart once trying to sort out why it wouldn't fire up and after 2 hrs and putting it back together I tried new batteries and ta dar! Another one of those lessons I learnt.

I used a 90 degree 4 inch elbow and some 4 inch waste/stack pipe to send the gas from the flue out towards and out the rear door. I used a 4 inch pipe clip to hold it in place on the roof of the van.

Hope that helps out a bit.

Got to get some shut eye as I'll be scrubbing my life away again tomorrow [emoji3]

Cheers

Just had a huge Really Dirty firstclean with gren frames and all ... Ran out of propane halfway ... :mad::mad: Must say i loved the ease of the first part and hated the second part, and i realized HOW Much it means at these jobs to go hot. Of course i knew the advantages ,but when you run it for a while you kind of take it for granted..:rolleyes:

Back