Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Could my pricing be wrong?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I simply hate cleaning very clean windows.

We had an old customer many years ago who has now passed away.

On one visit I causally remarked that her windows weren't dirty this time after I cleaned them.

She looked at me the only way old people can and replied, " Young man," ( that was a lie because I wasn't young even back then,) "I pay you to keep my windows clean, not clean then when they are dirty."

I was so impressed with that answer I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it. I've used it many times since on customers who open the door when I arrive and ask me to leave it this time as the windows are still clean.

I found out that comment helps to get rid of messers. "Well if that's your attitude then don't bother coming again. I'll find someone else who is more accommodating."

"Thank you for your custom and have a nice day."

Then a couple of months later my phone rings. " Hello, I'm looking for a window cleaner and a friend recommended you. I had a window cleaner who wasn't very nice and I got rid of him. I didn't like him at all. How much do you charge to clean windows?" 

"What's your address and I will call when I'm in the area and price them up."

" I'm sorry ma'am. But I'm the not very nice window cleaner you got rid of."

I never did find out who her friend was who recommended me.
She was most likely trying to blag her way out out of the previous encounter and would have been miffed to be sussed out ?

Facebook works well for me with enquiry's I have some contact me asking for a price which I can usually quote easily with them providing photos of each side of their house I give them a quote then nothing at all and my follow up message is ignored, then months later I get contacted by them again asking for a price again, FB archives all chats so I see the chat history instantly, 

I just wish they would be honest either I was too expensive or they are just going to leave things for the time been, messages get delivered but are never read ?‍♂️

I simply hate cleaning very clean windows.

We had an old customer many years ago who has now passed away.

On one visit I causally remarked that her windows weren't dirty this time after I cleaned them.

She looked at me the only way old people can and replied, " Young man," ( that was a lie because I wasn't young even back then,) "I pay you to keep my windows clean, not clean then when they are dirty."

I was so impressed with that answer I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it. I've used it many times since on customers who open the door when I arrive and ask me to leave it this time as the windows are still clean.

I found out that comment helps to get rid of messers. "Well if that's your attitude then don't bother coming again. I'll find someone else who is more accommodating."

"Thank you for your custom and have a nice day."

Then a couple of months later my phone rings. " Hello, I'm looking for a window cleaner and a friend recommended you. I had a window cleaner who wasn't very nice and I got rid of him. I didn't like him at all. How much do you charge to clean windows?" 

"What's your address and I will call when I'm in the area and price them up."

" I'm sorry ma'am. But I'm the not very nice window cleaner you got rid of."

I never did find out who her friend was who recommended me.
I tell them when I quote that the windows shouldn't look like they need cleaning, unless there is a bird splat / strike.  I say to them that the service is to have the windows 'looking clean all the time'.

I don't know whether that works or not but I've not had anyone in the two years since I started say to 'leave it because they look clean'.  Now that could either be because they don't want to get on wrong side of me or because they listened to what I said.  Personally I think I'm a nice person so I'd like to think it's the latter rather than the former ?

I wouldn’t want to be doing 6-12 weekly we only offer 4-8 , but that’s just me ware we are if you did 12 weekly clean every clean would be like a first clean , but obviously it’s up to you but I would be charging considerably more for that time scale . 
i do monthly,just picked up some customers because the 6 weekly option their previous window wasnt regular enough....

Latest Posts

Back