Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customer complaints

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That's not a viable comparison to window cleaning, energy is a requirement to life in 99% of cases it is classed as essential by the government.
Window cleaning is seen as entirely optional cosmetic if you will, by the customers and the government so unless you have a contract and they want to walk you have no say in it. You do not and will never own a window cleaning round on other peoples properties, unless the government bring in legislation to dole out cleaning patches or allow legally binding contracts... I wish it was not that way but it just is...
I believe what we are talking about is referred to as 'Good Will' in accountancy terms. It is perfectly legal to sell the good will - i.e. existing customers who may be happy to have their windows cleaned by a different windy. There is an inherent risk in buying 'customers' but lots do it and it works well for most people.

The potentially 'iffy' bit is the customer data - i.e. phone numbers, email addresses etc as that comes under data protection laws. I believe that it's legal to sell part of a business including customer data.

I believe what we are talking about is referred to as 'Good Will' in accountancy terms. It is perfectly legal to sell the good will - i.e. existing customers who may be happy to have their windows cleaned by a different windy. There is an inherent risk in buying 'customers' but lots do it and it works well for most people.

The potentially 'iffy' bit is the customer data - i.e. phone numbers, email addresses etc as that comes under data protection laws. I believe that it's legal to sell part of a business including customer data.

And customers in general who you have done for years is going to trust your judgment if you are giving it to someone you can vouch for. We will all know people who charge for gutter cleans when they haven't been done etc, i wouldn't pass my work onto the people I know do that.

My last guy worked for someone who does this, when we were doing our gutters he called me and said nothing was in the one he was at what will he do, I told him not even to consider what he's considering and let them know there's isn't needing done this year.

This might sound daft but when situations like that happen I think what if this is a test to see if we say we done it when say there son done it the week previous. You get caught doing that once then they will never trust you again. It might be a daft way to to think but it means I don't even give it a second thought and I just be honest with them and say there fine this year.

And customers in general who you have done for years is going to trust your judgment if you are giving it to someone you can vouch for. We will all know people who charge for gutter cleans when they haven't been done etc, i wouldn't pass my work onto the people I know do that.

My last guy worked for someone who does this, when we were doing our gutters he called me and said nothing was in the one he was at what will he do, I told him not even to consider what he's considering and let them know there's isn't needing done this year.

This might sound daft but when situations like that happen I think what if this is a test to see if we say we done it when say there son done it the week previous. You get caught doing that once then they will never trust you again. It might be a daft way to to think but it means I don't even give it a second thought and I just be honest with them and say there fine this year.
Totally agree with you mate. Plenty of honest money to be made no need to rip people off. I was once called to a blocked gutter job. Water cascading over the gutters. Got there and threw the ladders up and it was a tennis ball blocking the top of the downpipe. Took it out and all the water flowed away nicely.
Told the client (an existing window cleaning customer) through a message that the job was done and when she messaged how much I said ‘nothing’ and told her about the ball. She was very very grateful and i kept her as a customer for many years until she eventually moved.

Totally agree with you mate. Plenty of honest money to be made no need to rip people off. I was once called to a blocked gutter job. Water cascading over the gutters. Got there and threw the ladders up and it was a tennis ball blocking the top of the downpipe. Took it out and all the water flowed away nicely.
Told the client (an existing window cleaning customer) through a message that the job was done and when she messaged how much I said ‘nothing’ and told her about the ball. She was very very grateful and i kept her as a customer for many years until she eventually moved.

Imagine doing it and it ending up on the towns Facebook page as your caught on camera, any credibility that you had with the people who see it is now gone. And alot would see it if its put on there own town facebook page.,

This year doing the gutters one who always gets done I chapped amd said tbh there's a wee bit there but not worth worrying about, she was getting a roof inspection the next week and said the roof guy was going to do them If need to as part of it. Imagine if I said the gutters are packed il get them sorted today. After the roofer had a look I would expect a text telling me not to come back.

I heard about this trick years ago, apparently people who are out to rip people off clear the gutters and then leave a tennis ball up there, eventually they get called back to clear the gutters again. Not sure how common place it was but I've heard of it before.

I heard about this trick years ago, apparently people who are out to rip people off clear the gutters and then leave a tennis ball up there, eventually they get called back to clear the gutters again. Not sure how common place it was but I've heard of it before.

I know someone who just chaps some doors who he's done for years and say they were done a few weeks ago, hel tell ppl they are due from last time for Windows when he missed them out etc. He tells anyone working for him that if there's nothing in them pretend your taking a bit out and put your hand in the pale so no one can see that your dropping fresh air into it. He always has his bucket a quarter full too so he has something to show them if there's nothing there.

Not the same as the OP but rather than start a new thread I'll post on here.
We did a gutter job in Cambridge in January and have received a complaint from the PM company we did it for.
The block of flats we did have a bush growing out of the wall and after a couple of years it starts to look like it's in the gutter. To remove it we have to put the ladders up and snap what we can off.
To do this we have to put the ladders up on next doors drive, a couple of feet in. The neighbour has sent a photo from his CCTV saying we were in his "garden" without permission ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230223-115017_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230223-115017_Gmail.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 38
We did a gutter job in Cambridge in January and have received a complaint from the PM company we did it for.
The block of flats we did have a bush growing out of the wall and after a couple of years it starts to look like it's in the gutter. To remove it we have to put the ladders up and snap what we can off.
To do this we have to put the ladders up on next doors drive, a couple of feet in. The neighbour has sent a photo from his CCTV saying we were in his "garden" without permission ?

I'm not sure if it's different in England but in scotland access can't be denied if you need to go in for maintenence of another house/building.

Some people all they want to do is complain very petty I think it’s right you are allowed on neighbours property to do maintenance

I think it's the same in England but to say I was in his garden is a joke, there's a big window up there so when that's being washed he'll probably complain the water is going on his garden / car

I had one last year, there's flats 4 stories high, guy in the bottom flat has basically made the bit beside his patio doors his although he doesn't own it. He's put plants there and made it all nice. Usually I put the ladder right back and the other guy foots it. I was myself one day and carefully avoided his plants and put the ladder in the mud. He came out absolutely raging. Told him I hadn't went near his plants, explained that as he knows I usually don't put the ladder in, the wife came out going tonto too. Told them although I was carefull this time, next time I'm going to ruin the ******* plants. Told them that they don't own that part and I was being polite avoiding it. Told him to get back in his house and go check his deeds. Next time I was there he came over and shook my hand saying things got a bit heated last time, let's start again, he's obviously checked and noticed he doesn't own it and wants to be civil. If he had got the answer he was looking for I don't think he would have been so nice the next time. Waves and smiles at me everytime I'm there now lol

Lol what an idiot it’s hardly in his garden it’s on a bit of gravel ! some people are unbelievable

I carry secateurs with me and occasionally prune bushes that are hitting the glass or ones that can hit my eyes. Got told off last week and may lose a customer through it but its the hardest house I regularly clean because no one will do it. I see it as a win win situation either way.

I carry secateurs with me and occasionally prune bushes that are hitting the glass or ones that can hit my eyes. Got told off last week and may lose a customer through it but its the hardest house I regularly clean because no one will do it. I see it as a win win situation either way.
Surely the customer is paying you to clean the Windows not prune bushes , in my books it’s the customer’s responsibility to make sure the Windows are free from bushes if the are obstructed we will do our best but won’t trim them back as it’s not our job and some like bushes over there windows they think is ascetically pleasing .

Surely the customer is paying you to clean the Windows not prune bushes , in my books it’s the customer’s responsibility to make sure the Windows are free from bushes if the are obstructed we will do our best but won’t trim them back as it’s not our job and some like bushes over there windows they think is ascetically pleasing .
Yeah that's a good point, you also have to be careful not to mistake it as your customers bush and chop it down and remove it when it's actually the neighbours bush, isn't that right Scottish ;)

Was the previous window cleaner trad??
hi lad been at this game 40y ya can not please every body some times its just happens to be honest iv sacked loads over the years ya get some that look down on ya after a few yrs ya will get the knack of it lad as for ya father in law wanting 100% NO WAY just be happy take everything not too searous

Have to agree with oldtimer. I started three new customers today. All happy, one 'amazed' in her words. This evening I get a message from another customer I've done for a about a year and has always happy with my work. Monday her husband was working from home when I called. I cleaned them in exactly the same way as always and there was nothing wrong with the windows when I left. Wiped down all ledges and even doorstep. According to the husband I didn't wipe any ledges and they all had to be cleaned again after I'd gone. I think I now know why the previous windy packed up. You can't win em' all I'm afraid.
Don't let it get to you. Just move on to the next one

Have to agree with oldtimer. I started three new customers today. All happy, one 'amazed' in her words. This evening I get a message from another customer I've done for a about a year and has always happy with my work. Monday her husband was working from home when I called. I cleaned them in exactly the same way as always and there was nothing wrong with the windows when I left. Wiped down all ledges and even doorstep. According to the husband I didn't wipe any ledges and they all had to be cleaned again after I'd gone. I think I now know why the previous windy packed up. You can't win em' all I'm afraid.
Don't let it get to you. Just move on to the next one
It always makes me laugh when I get what I consider to be a daft complaint clearly something else is going on that the customer will never disclose to us

Hi all, new to the forum. Have been window cleaning by pole system for about 2 years now. Started up a new business with my father in law. He bought a new van, hot water system, a couple of new rounds of other window cleaners. We have started a new round recently (in January) some customers have called and said they don’t want us to clean their windows anymore (no reason was given even after we asked why). Is this normal? The person we bought the round off of was their window cleaner for 20 years. I haven’t been rushing the jobs or cleaning any different to what I usually do, is this something to be wary of? I thought some customers would leave because people don’t like change usually which is understandable but my father in law is very precise and can have a bit of OCD so he wants everything to be 100% and not have any complaints ever. Any advice would be very appreciated thank you.
Sometime its just your face doesn't fit ,people don't always take to new people no matter if they are nicer , wouldn't take it personally.

Latest Posts

Back