Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customer says dont clean my windows this time as there still clean

WCF

Help Support WCF:

As @spruce says, we're paid to keep their windows clean. The occasional miss for a genuine reason, holiday etc, we accept. Constant skipping is a dump for us.
This came from an old customer who sadly is no longer with us. " I pay you to keep my windows clean, not clean them when they are dirty." I've used this many times; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Usually when it doesn't you find the customer was looking to discontinue your services for what ever reason but didn't know how to. At least it stops them messing you around next visit with another excuse.

Not to hijack the topic or anything, but when dumping a customer under these kind of circumstances, do you always text to let them know or just don't go back?
Personally, I would prefer to tell them nicely. We live and work in a tight-knit community. I'm continually conscious of my reputation and don't need someone bad-mouthing me when it's nothing to do with me. I've even had a bad customer who we parted business company with (never had any money) recommend me to her friend. Her friend has been a good customer.

If I see an ex customer in the street we didn't have a good business relationship with, I will still stop and have a chat; ask them how they and their family are doing. There is no way we can afford to fall out with anyone.

Not to hijack the topic or anything, but when dumping a customer under these kind of circumstances, do you always text to let them know or just don't go back?
Don’t go back , when they phone asking why we haven’t been for the last 6 months they get told , or if it’s a face to face leave it this time usually we will say sorry we only di regular work that’s what you agreed to bye bye thanks for your custom ?

If you decide to cancel a business relationship always thank them for their custom first; then you can inform them they are dumped.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for you business over the last 2 months; but as you are a tardy payer, and indecisive on whether to have them cleaned or not, I am dumping you.

If you owe us money, keep it and treat yourself to a pizza, or more garbage from just eat as you binge watch eastenders (as if.....like you need to...cough cough)

If you need the work then put up with it but if you're busy drop it. The worst kind of skips are the bi monthly ones anyway.

I personally never charge full price if there's access issues because they forget or are away. I charge for the work done. I did one yesterday who were away on holiday and they knew i was coming. Just did the fronts, half price. Charging full price in my opinion is likely to get backs up. I still get what i need for the job and a bit of good will goes a long way in business. Charging full price in that kind of scenario is money grabbing IMO and isn't a good look.

If your chocker fill the space with a regular monthly customer i had similar thing with one of mine he wanted monthly then bi monthly which is ok then when it came to the 2nd bi monthly clean i mesaaged to say be cleaning next day he messaged back "they still ok bud will leave it this time" i relied the price would be abit more with it being left longer was from £9 would be £12 he replied think we'll keep it £9 mate as it shouldn't take any more time to clean lol my reply was "Ok well that is my price for cleaning next time if you want to confirm this for next clean" he didn't reply so i just dropped it off my round

Last edited:
If you decide to cancel a business relationship always thank them for their custom first; then you can inform them they are dumped.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for you business over the last 2 months; but as you are a tardy payer, and indecisive on whether to have them cleaned or not, I am dumping you.

If you owe us money, keep it and treat yourself to a pizza, or more garbage from just eat as you binge watch eastenders (as if.....like you need to...cough cough)
I get the feeling sometimes they think they're your boss and you need them if they can do it to you they will do it to another i like the professional let down and wait for the begging or humble pie smell lol always good

I would just give it a miss as asked. If however it became something of a regular thing I would dump them as they are then wanting one off cleans really.

I get the feeling sometimes they think they're your boss and you need them if they can do it to you they will do it to another i like the professional let down and wait for the begging or humble pie smell lol always good
The reality is that they are your boss. They have employed you to clean their windows.

On the other hand, you have the option to not accept the conditions of that relationship by not working for them under their terms. Each one of us will have a different tolerance level of what we will accept and what we won't. If we desperately need the work, then we will have a different tolerance level than someone who has a full schedule.
"PJJ" employs people. His tolerance level will be really low because his business can't afford wasted time.

For me when they have this attitude of they are clean still not this time. Its an instant dump for me. I have no problems if someone's honest and says I have builders working or away on holiday or sick so please skip this time. But when I get they are still clean or just not this month I have a standard reply... hi thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately due to being so busy and having a waiting list of new customers and quotes I only operate regular cleaning and it sounds like you would be better with a window cleaner who has more space and can just come on an ad hoc basis when your windows are dirty and uou want them done. Thanks very much for your past custom

I only offer 4 weekly and am straight with them, that’s all I offer. Most of the time they come round and understand. They wouldn’t like it if they turned up to work and their employer said not today haha. Obviously when there is building work going on or other such circumstances I don’t mind. But I’ve always thought why should I change it to bi monthly if I then need to find another customer to fill the month in between. Obviously if it’s not out of your way and say next door to a job then it’s probably worth it. Maybe I’m just stubborn and don’t like the customer trying to dictate to me. But then again I am busy and just don’t like the feeling of being used.
I only offer 6 weekly and will not deviate from that except for my commercial work which is a couple grand but on different frequencies, one monthly, one 8 weekly and one quarterly but that works completely different from my domestic work.
As for binning customers I always message them so I have a record of it as I’ve had someone badmouthing me on Facebook in the past saying I stopped turning up for no reason etc so I pasted the message I sent them about failing to pay and they suddenly disappeared off the group lol

It does pee me off when people say leave it i just say ok see you next visit but most of my customers don’t get chance to cancel as I only text a few that have access problems if I feel a job starts playing up to regular I’ll dump them it’s easy to forget people go through stages money issues etc from time to time but are too embarrassed to say so and make a excuse to cancel

Just text my customers for tomorrow, had one come back asking to skip this time as its forecast to rain for the next 2 weeks......
If it weren't for the fact they are usually very good customers I'd probably be suggesting they will never get cleaned if they want 2 weeks of garunteed rain-free weather afterward.

Just text my customers for tomorrow, had one come back asking to skip this time as its forecast to rain for the next 2 weeks......
If it weren't for the fact they are usually very good customers I'd probably be suggesting they will never get cleaned if they want 2 weeks of garunteed rain-free weather afterward.
Now that is a classic instant dump if ever I Hurd one ??

Wouldn't get their windows cleaned up here then with the amount of rain we get. Meant to rain all day up here today and it turned out lovely. Got 3 new cleans because cleaner never came back, I wondered why till they told me what they paid him, I'm double the amount which is normal for a 30 foot clean. I wonder why he did not say I can't do it for that price.

I used to get really p1ssed about this. They make the conversation you need to have awkward. On the one hand you can just agree no problem and feel like your services aren’t appreciated. You can get all uppity, kick off at them or try and charge them for services you haven’t provided etc… I went through all of the above.

Now I just say “no problem, let me know when you next want them done”. It removes the need for conversation 95% of the time. The odd one comes back, most you never hear from again. When they do come back you just give them the adhoc price.

They kinda are in a way, they hire us and sometimes fire us. They tell us if they aren't happy with our job etc. You don't want to start bending over backwards for them all the time but in general we alway try accommodate them. I actually had this conversation the other month with someone. He was saying it must be great not having a boss to answer too. I said I've hundreds of bosses who I have to answer too. Each customer basically.

Back