Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customers slab broken

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bwfc

A week or so ago I was doing windows & outside patio door is a step of two slabs and I stepped back onto edge after cleaning the window & a corner snapped off where it hangs. Customer wasn't happy understandable but I don't feel its my fault as its meant to be stepped on. I asked how long ago it was done & she said last August. She wants to go through my insurance, I told her to get builders back & they did today apparently and they fine with it. So what shall I do??

Tricky one but if it broke and you had been hurt then she might well have to be claiming on her insurance for your loss of earnings!
Keep things civil but what would she have done if one of her elderly relatives stood on it and it broke - blame them!

Can't really see it as you where negligent, so not your fault her builders built such a dangerous step!

Tricky one but if it broke and you had been hurt then she might well have to be claiming on her insurance for your loss of earnings!
Keep things civil but what would she have done if one of her elderly relatives stood on it and it broke - blame them!

Can't really see it as you where negligent, so not your fault her builders built such a dangerous step!
Appreciate the reply that's where this forum is so good. I thought builders would think its fine but they would, I feel what of it happens again? Difficult one like u said

Appreciate the reply that's where this forum is so good. I thought builders would think its fine but they would, I feel what of it happens again? Difficult one like u said
Maybe have a friendly chat to your council building control department and ask if there are any building regs that cover steps. It might well be that the steps don't comply with building regs - so builders at fault - unless the customer instructed them how they wanted the job doing..

If insurance companies were not so devious I would call them and ask if a customer could claim for a step you stood on and it broke. They would probably have a laugh and say no way would they pay but the cynic in me says they would make you pay the excess which would cover the repair then increase the premium next year!

You say a slab the thick concrete ones shouldn't break but if it was sandstone it's possible that the guy who made the step had left too much of an overhang on the front edge and that corner has been stood on multiple times since it was laid, at least she employed someone decent who was willing to come back and replace it which they will have done under a 12-month warranty so it's nowt to do with you anymore and never was as the paving developed a defect and has been replaced, just don't stand on that corner anymore (y)

You say a slab the thick concrete ones shouldn't break but if it was sandstone it's possible that the guy who made the step had left too much of an overhang on the front edge and that corner has been stood on multiple times since it was laid, at least she employed someone decent who was willing to come back and replace it which they will have done under a 12-month warranty so it's nowt to do with you anymore and never was as the paving developed a defect and has been replaced, just don't stand on that corner anymore (y)
It was probably broke when the job was finished and they stuck it with clear CT1 every builder is using it now. If he takes a close look at the break and notices clear resin on it then that's what's happened and someone unsuspecting gets the blame later on. ?

I once was cleaning a house years ago when I did trad. Was carrying ladders and suddenly my foot went down a drain cover that was in middle of path. Really hurt , when and told the owner I told him I could have broken my leg. Never even considered that I could be liable. If something is designed to be walked on it's not your fault if while standing on it, it breaks

It's not your problem.some people will try and get you to pay for something that is clearly not your fault.dont forget you could of injured yourself which would make the customer liable.

Remember your on their property and if there's a faulty slab it's their responsibility to get it fixed.not yours.

I've had something similar before where the flag snapped down the middle when we where back and forward across it (when I was in telecoms) there was clearly a problem there before it's just that you found it.

They complained and the company who always sides with the customers as they happily take the money out of the lads wages to pay for it actually sided with us on this occasion.

It clearly wasn't put down properly to begin with so definitely don't pay for it fixing. Just find a way to explain it to them in the nicest possible way.

Spoke yesterday & same company coming back to repair but saying not there fault, 6k they spent on patio & steps. Customer said repair could be £100 to more but I said they shouldn't be charging you for it as there mistake. I think as a gesture of good will I will pay for slab £18 but no more..

Difficult one. Trouble is that if you go through insurance, the repair will be less than the excess and your premiums will go up.
Spoke yesterday & same company coming back to repair but saying not there fault, 6k they spent on patio & steps. Customer said repair could be £100 to more but I said they shouldn't be charging you for it as there mistake. I think as a gesture of good will I will pay for slab £18 but no more..

If it was me that had paid 6k for a patio they'd be getting told to replace the slab free of charge, a £100 is taking the pee hardly a big job taking up a knackered slab and cementing another one in place.

it's amazing what some tell customers spoke to one the other day they have been waiting around 3 months for the guy to come back and seal the sandstone paving he said they'd have to wait 7 weeks until the ground underneath was dry enough as they'd had heavy rain during the job, my mate laid the same paving at our previous house it lashed down on the last day and he called back within 2 days to seal it no issues at all.

Latest Posts

Back