Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Difficult customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I think it comes down to this. How much do you need the work? If you need it then something we just have to put up with them. If you don't need the job then just don't go back
We definitely fell into this trap at the beginning. The trouble with people like this is that they waste our valuable time when we could be out looking for better customers.

If we don't filter the rubbish out early, we just end up with a round full of rubbish customers. At one time we followed the advice of 3 strikes and they are out policy, but when they start this on the second clean, they have accumulated their 3 strikes in one go. It's cost me money to arrive at their home only to be turned away.

I think it comes down to this. How much do you need the work? If you need it then something we just have to put up with them. If you don't need the job then just don't go back
I don't agree I have never tolerated people like this even when I started , if you do you are making a rod for your own back , dump move on and canvas replace with decent customers

I don't agree I have never tolerated people like this even when I started , if you do you are making a rod for your own back , dump move on and canvas replace with decent customers
Whose windows are still clean after 8 weeks?

A lot of people struggling with hugely increased mortgage payments, fuel, insurance and motor costs. The windows are going to be the first thing to go. God help us if they decide, like some already have after a few weeks that windows never need cleaning, just leave the rain to do it!

A lot of people struggling with hugely increased mortgage payments, fuel, insurance and motor costs. The windows are going to be the first thing to go. God help us if they decide, like some already have after a few weeks that windows never need cleaning, just leave the rain to do it!

And the window cleaner is experiencing the exact same problems. So less income for him isn't going to be any good.

I'm lucky with where I am, it's mostly people that are retired, not alot of families with young kids with mortgages.

This is why we need to put more focus on ensuring our debt list is kept under control @doce . We have lost a few single parent families, and we have a couple more whose payment isn't forth coming. Now, if the previous clean hasn't been paid, then we don't clean again, and they get chased.

We also have a payment staller. New customer via recommendation.
"Please give your bank details, so I can pay you online."
Nothing. 2 weeks later; "sorry, my banking isn't working. Please, can I leave payment in an envelope hidden around the back? "
"That's fine, please let me know where you hide it." Nothing.
6 days later. "I have nowhere to hide the money. Please, can you give me your address so I can drop the money off."
Address given.
10 days later, nothing. I'm waiting for his next move.

I had a bad feeling about this customer right from the start. I'll wait patiently and string him along. Then I will inform his friends that he never paid us and he's not the kind of person they should recommend any trades people to.

In the last 2 months I’ve lost 1 customer ( husband made redundant). And 1 has asked to go every other.
Other than that nothing has changed, I’m still picking up the odd house here and there.

This is why we need to put more focus on ensuring our debt list is kept under control @doce . We have lost a few single parent families, and we have a couple more whose payment isn't forth coming. Now, if the previous clean hasn't been paid, then we don't clean again, and they get chased.

We also have a payment staller. New customer via recommendation.
"Please give your bank details, so I can pay you online."
Nothing. 2 weeks later; "sorry, my banking isn't working. Please, can I leave payment in an envelope hidden around the back? "
"That's fine, please let me know where you hide it." Nothing.
6 days later. "I have nowhere to hide the money. Please, can you give me your address so I can drop the money off."
Address given.
10 days later, nothing. I'm waiting for his next move.

I had a bad feeling about this customer right from the start. I'll wait patiently and string him along. Then I will inform his friends that he never paid us and he's not the kind of person they should recommend any trades people to.
Update: I gave his memory a bit of a jolt on Friday, 8th Sept.

"Please advise when you will be dropping the money off at our home. Thanks."

"Aw ... I'm so sorry, I've had some bad news and it's slipped my mind. I'll sort it out today and will pay you £20 for the next time so I'm all paid up. Is that ok?"
"That's fine, thank you. Sorry to hear about your bad news."

Nothing since. He works about a 1/4 mile from where we live.

Last edited:
Here’s the argument to charge more for the first clean.
I quote like this.
first clean or as and when required £35.
after the first clean £20 on a 6 weekly basis.

Depends on what you want to achieve with your reply.
Dump with, this is the only schedule I work to. Thank you for your custom to date
or
Your custom forms my income so I can provide you with a dependable service. Sadly I can’t change my schedule as this works for all my current customers. Would you like to remain on my book?

If they don't pay after two cleans then I drop a note with card saying if they pay the balance and set up a SO or DD then I will continue. The last one I did I'm still waiting but did their neighbour last week and no contact. I'm happy because it wasn't a great clean and the area is heading down hill. I find families are struggling but everyone else is doing well.

If they don't pay after two cleans then I drop a note with card saying if they pay the balance and set up a SO or DD then I will continue. The last one I did I'm still waiting but did their neighbour last week and no contact. I'm happy because it wasn't a great clean and the area is heading down hill. I find families are struggling but everyone else is doing well.
Just the other week you said your best customers are the ones on benefits :unsure:

Hi. I need to think of a professional reply that also states clearly what I’m saying. One of my customers after being s first clean has replied with “could we postpone the windows for a few weeks as they don’t look very dirty”. Any replies would help

Thanks
I just say the likes of 'oh okay, let me know' and then leave them to it. They may or may not get back in touch. If no contract has been signed there is nothing you can do. Trouble is, the next time might be some time off and thus a first clean again!

Update: I gave his memory a bit of a jolt on Friday, 8th Sept.

"Please advise when you will be dropping the money off at our home. Thanks."

"Aw ... I'm so sorry, I've had some bad news and it's slipped my mind. I'll sort it out today and will pay you £20 for the next time so I'm all paid up. Is that ok?"
"That's fine, thank you. Sorry to hear about your bad news."

Nothing since. He works about a 1/4 mile from where we live.
Update. Had a Facebook message last Saturday morning.
"Sorry, I've been away on holiday. If I leave your money with the receptionist, can you come and collect it"
"No problem, let me know when she has it."
Message a little later. "I've left your money with ......."
I hop into the van and drive down to where he works. He left money for one clean.

So now I await him asking when I'm going to clean again. :ROFLMAO:

Update. Had a Facebook message last Saturday morning.
"Sorry, I've been away on holiday. If I leave your money with the receptionist, can you come and collect it"
"No problem, let me know when she has it."
Message a little later. "I've left your money with ......."
I hop into the van and drive down to where he works. He left money for one clean.

So now I await him asking when I'm going to clean again. :ROFLMAO:
Replying to your own replies reminds me of someone ?

Latest Posts

Back