Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Difficult customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Elliott randall

Hi. I need to think of a professional reply that also states clearly what I’m saying. One of my customers after being s first clean has replied with “could we postpone the windows for a few weeks as they don’t look very dirty”. Any replies would help

Thanks

Hi Mr time waster, thanks for your message. Unfortunately X weeks is our longest cycle. In theory the windows should always look clean, our regular customers get a reduced rate as we’re maintaining clean windows rather than cleaning dirty ones. If it works better for you we can pop you onto an adhoc basis. We wouldn’t be able to maintain the same price but it often works out much cheaper overall. You just let us know when they next need cleaning.

Hi Mr time waster, thanks for your message. Unfortunately X weeks is our longest cycle. In theory the windows should always look clean, our regular customers get a reduced rate as we’re maintaining clean windows rather than cleaning dirty ones. If it works better for you we can pop you onto an adhoc basis. We wouldn’t be able to maintain the same price but it often works out much cheaper overall. You just let us know when they next need cleaning.
That great thanks

@Elliott randall
One of our old customers (sadly now deceased) said: "Young man, I pay you to keep my windows clean, not clean them when they are dirty."
That was nearly 20 years ago and I've never forgotten it.

Your customer is a messer. They wanted a one off clean. They don't learn. They will never learn.

The agreement was every 8 weeks.
"Madam, we only offered an 8 weekly service which you agreed to. The only other option would be 16 weeks which we don't offer. We could clean on appointment and that will cost you ..... (3 or 4 times your 8 weekly price.)

They will either accept a clean at 8 weeks or reject your conditions. Just thank them for their custom and walk away.
You haven't lost them as a customer - they never have been a customer. Glad they showed their true colours early.

No matter what, always be polite, quietly spoken and firm.

I would remind them of the verbal contract that they agreed to to clean the windows every xx weeks regardless of how clean or dirty they are then it would be an instant dump and block there number , I think a lot of this boils down to not being specific enough at quoting stage we really stress we work in all wethers within reason and it’s a year round service , if they hesitate then they aren’t taken on , can’t remember the last time we faced this type of situation since we took this approach.

I would remind them of the verbal contract that they agreed to to clean the windows every xx weeks regardless of how clean or dirty they are then it would be an instant dump and block there number , I think a lot of this boils down to not being specific enough at quoting stage we really stress we work in all wethers within reason and it’s a year round service , if they hesitate then they aren’t taken on , can’t remember the last time we faced this type of situation since we took this approach.
We did; a couple of years ago. "I'll call you when I need them doing again." " But we agreed we would clean the every 6 weeks." "Well, I've just changed it!" Door slammed.

Glad we got rid of that one>

We did; a couple of years ago. "I'll call you when I need them doing again." " But we agreed we would clean the every 6 weeks." "Well, I've just changed it!" Door slammed.

Glad we got rid of that one>
Luckily people like that are a rarity, I think after a while in business you get a 6 th sense for this type of person . I had a woman email me last week wanting her windows cleaning on a regular basis I knew the area well and thought there was no access to the back without going through the garage, she assured me there was a path down the side of the house so I said ok it will be xx she agreed ti a monthly clean one of my guys turned up today to do it and surprise surprise only access is through the garage just as I thought , no one in and garage locked not that we would have done it anyway, I have just had an abusive email from her demanding an explanation as to why she has come home from work and the windows haven’t been cleaned , so I phoned her explaining the situation she called me an fing w***** and said she will be leaving a bad review I told her to fill her boots ????

Hi. I need to think of a professional reply that also states clearly what I’m saying. One of my customers after being s first clean has replied with “could we postpone the windows for a few weeks as they don’t look very dirty”. Any replies would help

Thanks
Dump and move on… dont contact them again, they will only waste your time.

@Elliott randall
One of our old customers (sadly now deceased) said: "Young man, I pay you to keep my windows clean, not clean them when they are dirty."
That was nearly 20 years ago and I've never forgotten it.

Your customer is a messer. They wanted a one off clean. They don't learn. They will never learn.

The agreement was every 8 weeks.
"Madam, we only offered an 8 weekly service which you agreed to. The only other option would be 16 weeks which we don't offer. We could clean on appointment and that will cost you ..... (3 or 4 times your 8 weekly price.)

They will either accept a clean at 8 weeks or reject your conditions. Just thank them for their custom and walk away.
You haven't lost them as a customer - they never have been a customer. Glad they showed their true colours early.

No matter what, always be polite, quietly spoken and firm.
Thanks very much I’ll use this also on the next messer

I would say we only offer an 8 weekly service, Would you like to be removed off the round?
What happens in 99% of these cases is that they feel they are pressurized into accepting the terms that they agreed to in the beginning. They might accept this clean, but you can be assured @Elliott randall that they will cancel you very soon into the future.

This is a great answer @THL4KEL

I would say we only offer an 8 weekly service, Would you like to be removed off the round?
I more or less say the same thing, more often than not they say ok and stay on My books.
it’s what I offer and they are free to find someone els but they remain. Usually these situations arise based on wanting to save money but it goes to show that many people appreciate good service more than the cost as long as its not too prohibitiv.

They are on an 8 weekly cycle and of course we don’t offer anything else
I think you are missing out a bit, I have no issue if a customer asks for a longer frequency I have just two jobs that are done every 12 weeks first customer has been on my rounds for over 8 years he and his family are one of my nicest customers and they have been on GoCardless since day one they get charged double my normal rate it actually doesn't take me any longer than the neighbours as it's on a quiet road.

The second one I have just recently picked up and she asked if I could clean them every quarter from the outset it's a big house with a big conservatory I am charging them just over double if it takes me as long as I think it will I'll earning a good wedge for a not too bad job.

with your job, I'd say they were only wanting a one-off and to bid them farewell and block their number.

If its a easy clean then I will try and continue with the clean but if its difficult or takes too long I just don't go back and even don't communicate with them. Looking for the cream now because I have over 50 customers that are great cleans. I slowly weeded out the hard cleans and take care when looking at new cleans.

Just a thought, why don`t you ask her if you could put her on a 16 weekly clean and charge her more. This way it wouldn`t mess up your round and you wouldn`t lose her custom.
That's another suggestion. But by the sound of it, she wanted them left for a few weeks longer.

In our experience, once they start messing around, especially this early on, then they will just continue to mess us around. We heard the "the windows are still clean so please can we skip the clean this time," many times when we were starting out. When we did them 6 weeks later with the rest of the round, they complained we weren't regular enough and their windows were dirty.

Some of them seem to think we can operate the same as mobile hairdressers. Be at their beck and call.

I had one the other day. Can you come and clean my windows. Its in the middle of the town so parking is not that great. Windows are old wooden sash type single glazed. Busy pavement near a train station. She then said the last time you did them you left streaks on glass. I said its because they are old wooden types and the windows are 100 years old. I get a tenner when she wants them cleaned but I think it has came to an end now because it takes me 30mins by the time she comes down and we stop talking to each other. ? The hardest tenner I have ever made in my life even the guy in the shop below said that looks like hard work.

Latest Posts

Back