Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dilemma!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnDoeWindows

So my van has broken down today, I suspect the gearbox has gone and will need replacing - I don't think its worth repairing as I planned on getting a new van in March, however I have just had fitted a brand new PureFreedom system.

The dilemma I have is, in order to have that system removed and installed in the new van I'm going to have to somehow get it to them, towing it would be an option I guess but I'd be open to other suggestions if anyone knows any firms that come out to you etc.

Thanks folks

£1200 isn't too bad if it includes labour etc I suppose, its just whether or not its worth doing when I plan on getting a new van. The new system has probably been in for two weeks, just my luck really

£1200 isn't too bad if it includes labour etc I suppose, its just whether or not its worth doing when I plan on getting a new van. The new system has probably been in for two weeks, just my luck really
All depends on the van, mileage, condition etc. i.e. if you sell it as a non runner how much would you get? How are you going to manage till you get a new van - how much will that cost you? How much would the repair be and how much would the resale/trade in be for a working van?

Maybe if you tell us what van and it's year we might be able to advise better?

Hard to answer all of these questions until I get it looked at, most likely on Tuesday.

Its a renault trafic, its done 125000 miles and I did intend on getting a new van anyway, just not quite so soon. I can get the van relatively quickly, the main issue is getting my system moved from the old van to the new one

Hard to answer all of these questions until I get it looked at, most likely on Tuesday.

Its a renault trafic, its done 125000 miles and I did intend on getting a new van anyway, just not quite so soon. I can get the van relatively quickly, the main issue is getting my system moved from the old van to the new one
To be fair any competent mechanic should be able to change the tank over just remove and re fit in another van might need different length bolts and spreader plates but that’s not difficult to do .

Just had a quick Google and it comes up £1100 + VAT fitted on a national site. £750 + VAT for the exchange gearbox. My van had similar mileage when the box went.

i bought a vivaro with two "missing" gears it still drove well apart from the gears, when i'd had enough of struggling with it i drove down to wolverhampton to see a guy called ian peck -very well known through the traffic/vivaro groups.
he had the gearbox out within two hours re-built it with replacment parts and new bearings new earth strap as that had gone aswell
i got there at seven am after a good old fry up he lent me his mini and i visited cosford air museum called back at 2pm and it was all done the total bill was just over £700
and all done in a day i was back home by 5pm gearbox was absolutley perfect from then on.
its just food for thought mate as its going to cost one way or another but to lose just one days work could be a better option for the moment.

i bought a vivaro with two "missing" gears it still drove well apart from the gears, when i'd had enough of struggling with it i drove down to wolverhampton to see a guy called ian peck -very well known through the traffic/vivaro groups.
he had the gearbox out within two hours re-built it with replacment parts and new bearings new earth strap as that had gone aswell
i got there at seven am after a good old fry up he lent me his mini and i visited cosford air museum called back at 2pm and it was all done the total bill was just over £700
and all done in a day i was back home by 5pm gearbox was absolutley perfect from then on.
its just food for thought mate as its going to cost one way or another but to lose just one days work could be a better option for the moment.
That mechanic sounds like a 5star chap

Heres what I'm thinking -

Have the van repaired, I've found a company that offer fully kitted out window cleaning van hire for 100 p/week which isn't bad. I'll then have my system removed from old, repaired van and fitted in the new one and sell the old one as a working van.

Thanks for all the replies and insight guys, much appreciated as alwaysv

Van will be ready this afternoon, turns out it was the drive shaft that went. No need for a hire van after all, happy days ?
That's great news.
I had similar many years ago, broke down on motorway, recovery said gearbox had failed. Towed home, frantically searching scrap yards for replacement box as was supposed to be going on holiday. Got used very oily gearbox, jacked car up and as I pulled myself under I grabbed the driveshaft and it was loose!!! Turns out it was an outer CV joint!!! By that time it was bank holiday weekend and all shops/scrapyards were shut!! Got CV on the Tuesday and 30 mins later all fixed!! So annoying...

That's great news.
I had similar many years ago, broke down on motorway, recovery said gearbox had failed. Towed home, frantically searching scrap yards for replacement box as was supposed to be going on holiday. Got used very oily gearbox, jacked car up and as I pulled myself under I grabbed the driveshaft and it was loose!!! Turns out it was an outer CV joint!!! By that time it was bank holiday weekend and all shops/scrapyards were shut!! Got CV on the Tuesday and 30 mins later all fixed!! So annoying...
Is that the universial joint you are talking about? I did mine months ago and had to grind a bolt head flat to remove it with a spanner. Then had to go to dealer to get one so I bought the 4 of them.

Is that the universial joint you are talking about? I did mine months ago and had to grind a bolt head flat to remove it with a spanner. Then had to go to dealer to get one so I bought the 4 of them.
Universal joint is normally a connection point between say back axle and prop shaft or prop and gearbox. They are, as you say normally bolted to flanges.

A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is normally used on front wheel drive vehicles (or Independent rear suspension vehicles like old jags or Sierras) and has a splined male end that goes into the front hub and the other end has a female spline that takes the drive shaft. Sometimes inner CV joints are bolted to gearbox flanges. They are normally protected from the elements with a rubber boot/gaiter. Some come as a complete assemble with inner CV shaft and outer CV as a single unit.

They do similar jobs just look different.

Latest Posts

Back