Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you have a car? If so, why?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mowgli

I’ve been driving vans my whole life. As I don’t commute to work I struggle to justify running a second vehicle. I’m curious as to how many of you live with your van as your day to day vehicle and how many have a car too.

I don’t have kids or a dog. The wife and I do a lot of camping and XC cycling so the van ticks the box there with the only exception that some sites don’t seem to allow commercial vehicles. I’m just tired of running around in work vehicle, especially on longer journeys. We drove from Brighton to Newcastle last week and the journey got me thinking.

Currently driving a 2012 Peugeot partner which has been super reliable. Thoughts on upgrading to a newer/more comfortable van vs a car would be appreciated. E.g Ford Transit Custom vs Audi A4 Avant or similar. I’d be willing to spend £10-12k which doesn’t seem to buy much of a van these days!!

Help me!

Yes I have a car don’t want to go places in my sign written van and be reminded of work all the time need some time away from work related reminders

Had both to begin with, ended up getting rid of the car though as it was never getting used, I had bmw convertable, was no point using that to take the dog out etc so just ended up using the van, after a tank of petrol lasting 3 to 4 months I didn't see the point in having £400 a month outlay sitting outside doing nothing.

I won't need a van for a few years yet but when I do eventually have to get something I'm seriously going to consider a pick up as an option, I wouldn't get it sign printed, it would however have a roof rack on it. There's some smart looking pick ups out there. It's like a van and a car rolled into one.

I had a new car but sold to my mate when I bought the van. He had it for years until it got flooded and started floating down the street. He got a van with the Insurance money. I always wanted to buy it back until the flood.

I am fortunate enough to have both, though if circumstances ever changed I wouldn’t hesitate to get ride of the car, as much as I love it. I have twice tried just having a van & really struggled. I love driving & after being in the van it’s really nice to slide into the car. Somewhere clean, comfortable and fast. But I’m single with no children, so no where else to spend my money anyway ?
A mate of mine recently got himself a X4M. He’s a gardener. His misses drives it & hates it, far too much power for her. He’s always in the van & never gets a shot of it. ?

I am fortunate enough to have both, though if circumstances ever changed I wouldn’t hesitate to get ride of the car, as much as I love it. I have twice tried just having a van & really struggled. I love driving & after being in the van it’s really nice to slide into the car. Somewhere clean, comfortable and fast. But I’m single with no children, so no where else to spend my money anyway ?
A mate of mine recently got himself a X4M. He’s a gardener. His misses drives it & hates it, far too much power for her. He’s always in the van & never gets a shot of it. ?
That’s such a valid point! My wife works with me a few days a week, but the rest of the week she’d be driving the car if we get one, except for those longer weekend journeys. However, we don’t agree on what said car should be. Everything I like is “too big”. ?

Really appreciate the different viewpoints so far. Thanks all!

Yes I have a car don’t want to go places in my sign written van and be reminded of work all the time need some time away from work related reminders
Yeah, nice to have some separation. Every time I drive a car it feels like a luxrury… no matter what it is. ?

My wife has her own motor as she needs it for her work, she has Berlingo multispace rear seats removed as they unclip easily and put a boot jump in for our camping weekends away,

Do a web search for micro-campers if you want a separate motor that will make camping more comfortable and can be used for typical car use.

I have a car and a van, but I have a young daughter and a very safety conscious missus who doesn't think having the little one in the van is safe.

I wouldn't imagine there's much difference between sitting in the front of a van and front of a car. I'd argue you'd have less chance of getting injured if you had a smash in the van than the car.

I was looking at Nissan nivaras as I think there quite nice. Seems they have a problem of snapping though so that quickly made me rule one of them out. Quite like the look of the Ford rangers. I wouldn't be spending 60k for a new one but when I was looking you can get one 3 or 4 years old with around 40k miles for under the £500 mark.

I'd feel sick spending that amount on a van each month but your kind of getting 2 thrown onto one with a pick up so I wouldn't mind paying a bit more. I'd need to properly look at common faults and maintenance costs compared to other pick ups before I made a final decision on one.

I was looking at Nissan nivaras as I think there quite nice. Seems they have a problem of snapping though so that quickly made me rule one of them out. Quite like the look of the Ford rangers. I wouldn't be spending 60k for a new one but when I was looking you can get one 3 or 4 years old with around 40k miles for under the £500 mark.

I'd feel sick spending that amount on a van each month but your kind of getting 2 thrown onto one with a pick up so I wouldn't mind paying a bit more. I'd need to properly look at common faults and maintenance costs compared to other pick ups before I made a final decision on one.
Wouldn't mind one at £500 mark. ???

That’s such a valid point! My wife works with me a few days a week, but the rest of the week she’d be driving the car if we get one, except for those longer weekend journeys. However, we don’t agree on what said car should be. Everything I like is “too big”. ?

Really appreciate the different viewpoints so far. Thanks all!
What you thinking about so far?

Have a Nissan Qashquai. Pick a new one up every 3 years. Absolutely been bulletproof. Treated ourselves to a BMW 3 series sport when our mortgage ended but just didn’t like how low it was ??.
I’m forwards and backwards to Cornwall visiting family and often take my sons who are both over 6ft so having the car is handy.
Up to recently had a motorbike as well, but sold it after my mate was killed on his in Dartford tunnel.
Started to miss it now. Once a biker always a biker ?

Have a Nissan Qashquai. Pick a new one up every 3 years. Absolutely been bulletproof. Treated ourselves to a BMW 3 series sport when our mortgage ended but just didn’t like how low it was ??.
I’m forwards and backwards to Cornwall visiting family and often take my sons who are both over 6ft so having the car is handy.
Up to recently had a motorbike as well, but sold it after my mate was killed on his in Dartford tunnel.
Started to miss it now. Once a biker always a biker ?
Sorry for your loss pal. Heartbreaking on many levels.

What you thinking about so far?
As for cars have been considering a 3 Series Tourer or Audi A4 Avant. Can’t go too flash or the missus will hate it.

Have considered a pick-up for the tax benefits but after seeing how easy they are to get in to the back I’m not so keen. Also, “too big” for my 5’2 wife ?

As for cars have been considering a 3 Series Tourer or Audi A4 Avant. Can’t go too flash or the missus will hate it.

Have considered a pick-up for the tax benefits but after seeing how easy they are to get in to the back I’m not so keen. Also, “too big” for my 5’2 wife ?
Those are nice motors. And can be spec’d pretty inconspicuous as well. What about a T-Roc R? Not too big, it’s a VW so not flash, but you also have 300bhp when you need it ?

Careful with pickups. I have family with them and they’re also needing repairs. They look great man don’t seem the most reliable, but then that’s just my experience.

Latest Posts

Back