Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you prefer gutter cleaning or gutter clearing?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Scrubsy

As the thread title asks, does anyone prefer gutter cleaning to clearing or vice versa? As in cleaning the outside or clearing the inside?

Although it can be a ball ache in some instances, I have done quite a few gutter clearing jobs before and generally don't mind doing it.

I thought I'd add gutter cleaning recently, and did my first one this week. While the job went ok I really didn't like doing it at all. They weren't terrible and I only used a mild detergent (similar to virosol) and everything looked very clean, it just seemed to be alot messing about - best part of the guttering to start on, how to get in right behind the gutters themselves, scrubbing the soffits, and those little areas where drips gather, and then when you've dried them they gather again.

I used a Gardiner flocked super lite as the bristles are long, and a mayyker handy sleeve with a cloth to dry them off.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but wasn't expecting to dislike doing it.

I quoted another customer afterwards with what I thought was a very good price - others locally to me advertise quite a bit higher - and she went as white as a sheet.

Anybody else feel similar/different?

Thanks for any input.

i sidestep the outsides if i can after all they can be so nasty ingrained . i do clean outs and i do repairs however and carry a stash of the different rubber seals etc. i had to get additional insurance for repairs

i sidestep the outsides if i can after all they can be so nasty ingrained . i do clean outs and i do repairs however and carry a stash of the different rubber seals etc. i had to get additional insurance for repairs
@Bell Pallisey ok, I was unaware that you would need additional insurance for repairs but it does make sense. I have only repaired my own before (even that was only either seals or end caps). Thanks for the info 👍

I like clearing out gutters.

I dislike cleaning them. Hard work.
@Bart90 it’s not just me then 🤣. I also thought that gutter clearing made more money for the time it takes, and the customers were also a bit of a better type overall - they like maintaining their home rather than just the gutters have got disgusting to look at and need a clean down. I’ve had someone ask before to clean the outside but they weren’t bothered about what was on the insides, and another person asked “do you clean gutters and fascias? I’m in a semi detached so it shouldn’t take longer than 20 minutes”. I think that’s what the regular customer that has asked me thinks too and is why they were surprised at the price.

Both are great work - although you can get the odd tough clear most are very straight forward and done within an hour.

I love cleaning - satisfaction in walking away from a property that looks stunning rather than rank.

op- you shouldn't be getting dirty drips - sounds like you need to give it a little more scrubbing - ive found most rectangular brushes get nicely up behind the gutter to clean - check your angle.

Both are great work - although you can get the odd tough clear most are very straight forward and done within an hour.

I love cleaning - satisfaction in walking away from a property that looks stunning rather than rank.

op- you shouldn't be getting dirty drips - sounds like you need to give it a little more scrubbing - ive found most rectangular brushes get nicely up behind the gutter to clean - check your angle.
I love window cleaning. I like gutter clearing. I thought I may be ok with gutter cleaning, I just didn't think I'd particularly dislike it. I used the flocked super lite as it's rectangular and got long bristles. The overhang of the roof was long though which I don't think helped with the drips. It was only in certain areas. It's the sort of work that I take while it's there, rather than passing on it and not having anything else to do, if you see what I mean. Then as windows get a bit busier/fuller I'll phase it out. I have noticed that it's maybe the less house proud people that suddenly need it done at the moment and they are really quite dirty, rather than people who readily maintain there home. Then again the enquiries I've had are all through Facebook apart from the one regular customer, and I find Facebook has got me some really good customers, but also attracts people who expect everything to be cheap and that you are available almost immediately.

I think @Pjj likes to use hypo these days - its good and quite quick but can end up needing new uniform :giggle:

most TFR (non cystic) re good - and ubik and others used them all - much the same between brands

We used to use Virosol , does a very good job , but now use a hypo mix so much better results and so much quicker literally one or two passes with the brush regardless of how dirty it is quick rinse .
Thank you. Not sure I'm confident enough to use hypo, but I used a citrus degreaser similar to virosol and it did a good job. I only used it with cold tap water and the results were good. Thank you for the advice 👍

Yes please if @tench0771 and @Pjj can I ask what your preferred chemical / cleaning solution are for gutters, fascias please?
Pureseal max clean pro or Ubik 2000, spray on with a Gardiner backpack and a fan jet and the dirt will just fall off with little effort, get your drips with a trad applicator on a pole - swipe along soffit and gutter and you’ll have no mucky drips on the first pass

Back