Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dont want another today EVER

WCF

Help Support WCF:

@spruce that would be me and you without a window cleaner ?, I honestly couldn't do that without speaking to the family I have a genuine sympathy for those with dementia and there families who have to deal with it, an old lady who lived next door to us as kids looked after us like we were her own grand kids and she developed it, I can still see her face now after more than 35 years I also know a few customers at different stages, it's the the one thing that haunts me as my memory can be shocking now at 44 years of age.

The wife tells me she is going to fire her window cleaner because he is just too unreliable. I keep telling her to keep him on as he is a really nice guy and does a good job; he just old. He also has a key to the front door and lets himself through the house to clean the back windows and doesn't leave a mess behind him. The dog is always happy to see him as well.  ? I'm not sure what the problem is with our window cleaner. Both his short term and long term memory are going. Dementia will explain one but not the other. He even helps out in the winter and takes our dog for a walk when its too dark for the wife to do it on one of her two work days a week.

On a serious note, I agree that this is when we can show a little empathy.Sooner or later we could well be in the same position; me sooner than most on here. Having had both parents suffer dementia I have seen both the humorous and the sad sides of the illness. As my Dad used to say; its not always about the money, its also about going the extra mile for someone in need.

When dealing with someone with dementia we always speak to the family and ask them how we should proceed. Many cases they tell us to collect from them. We also had a daughter cancel her mother's window clean and give the job to her window cleaner so she could pay for them both at the same time. That made sense to me.

The neighbours also tend to be on the look out when someone has dementia, so we can make or break our reputation with those listening in. Old Betty was one such customer. She would open the front door every few minutes and greet us, mention that it was a lovely day and then ask how much she owed us. She would pay us, then the greeting, weather and payment request would happen another 10 times whilst we were cleaning. We got commended a few years later for our dealing with Betty from the neighbour behind her whose windows we never cleaned. The whole estate knew about our dealings with her.

Then there's also the funny things that happen that in their sadness can bring on a smile. Our neighbour across the road is 92 and is suffering from dementia. We have cleaned their windows for many years before his wife died last year. He told me he didn't want another window cleaner because he already has one. ? I mentioned the conversation to his daughter and we both laughed. But he is happy for me to continue to put his dustbin out every collection day which I have done for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the invite for that ?. No Dave B?

I’ll be doing over six hours on the lash today as Millwall are at home ?

Hope you had a good evening ?‍?
Had a few issues at home so no Dave b unfortunately. 

Next time though I'll drink double to make up for it.

The wife tells me she is going to fire her window cleaner because he is just too unreliable. I keep telling her to keep him on as he is a really nice guy and does a good job; he just old. He also has a key to the front door and lets himself through the house to clean the back windows and doesn't leave a mess behind him. The dog is always happy to see him as well.  ? I'm not sure what the problem is with our window cleaner. Both his short term and long term memory are going. Dementia will explain one but not the other. He even helps out in the winter and takes our dog for a walk when its too dark for the wife to do it on one of her two work days a week.
Sounds like me, just not old yet ? I do joke a little about the dementia think, but I do worry that I will develop it and I know quite a few people in there 40's and 50's who have terrible memories as well, I think to myself that in 20 years time or so there will be a lot more of my generation with dementia

On a lighter note not remembering things is not always a sign of impeding dementia, sometimes it is a case of not having a trained memory, I suffer from this so as a solution I bought a book on memory improvement....cannot remember where I left it though!!!

Reminds of Tom Rush's song car keys

I'm finding that the important stuff I should remember I don't now. The garbage I shouldn't remember will be there forever taking up the space reserved for the important stuff.

Mind you, I'm also finding I can get away with a lot more that I couldn't when I was younger as people just expect an older one to be going senile.

I was out taking a very leisurely walk with our old Labrador last week. We must looked a sight. A passerby made a fuss of old Oscar and commented " You look like your are struggling a bit old fella."

I responded, "Yes I am. The dog is as well." ?

On a lighter note not remembering things is not always a sign of impeding dementia, sometimes it is a case of not having a trained memory, I suffer from this so as a solution I bought a book on memory improvement....cannot remember where I left it though!!!

I think confidence can also play a role in memory too. I frequently find i need to remember something, when it comes to recalling it i then doubt myself and have to go back and check only to find i had it right in the first place.

Then there's times when i genuinely forget...  not ideal but hey ho

But yes I do worry that with the ever growing complexities in life and the way we live it (eg chemicals everywere in the food chain) that we are all being affected in a negative manner. Seen Heinz Ketchup lately? - Take a good close look at it in the supermarket next time. Some will be fit for the queen - with the royal warrant proudly displayed. Others won't display it but will instead show the 57 varieties in its place. Make of that what you will..

Back