Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Double Di or??? Help needed please.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Newlwb

Hi all, very lucky with my last post I was really helped out!

Recently bought a used Cleaning Spot wash20di trolly and under carbon pole. Lovely bit of kit.

Been using and was getting spots did research blah blah blah. My TDS arrived today to give me this bit of lovely news 338 straight out the tap ( I live down in the dirty south.
Now out of the brush it comes out at 246. (Hindsight is a wonderful thing should have bought the tds first o well….)

Now as the ppm isn’t 0 spots makes sense.

My question to the wise gurus on this page.

Do I purchase another Di vessel and double up ? Do I change the resin as it wasn’t fresh, Or does anyone have any suggestions except for slamming my head in the fridge 😁

Thank you
Neal

23CE5282-DB58-4508-A20E-C55D1DF2B54D.jpeg
5D2C09B5-4627-40E4-B8BF-989C050A5BCA.jpeg
Just a few of the spots it’s leaving.

F7B8057A-6502-4BF6-AB09-D5C77413FAE0.jpeg
B2AB40C7-75C2-41A5-9703-980D85D7156E.jpeg

You’ve got to go RO with that kind of TDS. All your profits will go on resin.

Double DI is a good idea even with RO. Swapping the vessels around means you use every drop of resin rather than throwing away resin that’s only been partially used.

If there’s a Spotless Water fill up station near you I’d suggest filling up there if you need to save up for an RO system. It’ll be cheaper than the amount of resin you’ll be using even with double DI.

I have a TDS 140 - 180 and realised that the resin was eating profits too much so invested in a decent RO. I can’t imagine how much you’ll be burning through.

I realise it’s probably not the answer you were looking for but in the long run a RO system is going to be a must.

You’ve got to go RO with that kind of TDS. All your profits will go on resin.

Double DI is a good idea even with RO. Swapping the vessels around means you use every drop of resin rather than throwing away resin that’s only been partially used.

If there’s a Spotless Water fill up station near you I’d suggest filling up there if you need to save up for an RO system. It’ll be cheaper than the amount of resin you’ll be using even with double DI.

I have a TDS 140 - 180 and realised that the resin was eating profits too much so invested in a decent RO. I can’t imagine how much you’ll be burning through.

I realise it’s probably not the answer you were looking for but in the long run a RO system is going to be a must.
Thank you so much for the reply, and yes not the ideal but it is what it is.
Yes I have a couple of those stations nearby, I shall check some out.
Do you have any suggestions for RO systems?

That TDS is simply too high for resin to take care of. You NEED an RO to get it down. Can't imagine the state of the windows if you were cleaning with that 🫣

@Newlwb yes you need a ln RO or go to Spotless water mate. I have a high-ish TDS of about 270-280. I have a small RO which comes out at about 12, and then into a resin vessel. I don't use much pure water but would still burn through resin even with double DI. Its a 20 mile round trip to spotless for me and I got fed up with it so have just set up a new RO. There's a guy on here sometimes, Doug at Daqua, he'll tell you what the best one would be for you. Good luck with everything mate and glad you are enjoying using your new kit.

Hi all, very lucky with my last post I was really helped out!

Recently bought a used Cleaning Spot wash20di trolly and under carbon pole. Lovely bit of kit.

Been using and was getting spots did research blah blah blah. My TDS arrived today to give me this bit of lovely news 338 straight out the tap ( I live down in the dirty south.
Now out of the brush it comes out at 246. (Hindsight is a wonderful thing should have bought the tds first o well….)

Now as the ppm isn’t 0 spots makes sense.

My question to the wise gurus on this page.

Do I purchase another Di vessel and double up ? Do I change the resin as it wasn’t fresh, Or does anyone have any suggestions except for slamming my head in the fridge 😁

Thank you
Neal

View attachment 30615
View attachment 30616
Just a few of the spots it’s leaving.

View attachment 30617
View attachment 30618
With the utmost respect, you've brought the worst and cheapest Chineseium tds tester that isn't a HM digital so your figures are most likely BS based on zero equipment calibration and quality

It's absolutely key to do your research before starting out, this trade isn't a simple anyone can do it and we don't just splish splash water around on windows. Chemistry is a huge part of our trade so getting the right equipment & knowledge would of served you better

Anything over 150ppm is like liquid lead and you'll bound to encounter spotting, streaks & poor results.

Every vital piece of equipment and knowledge has been shared on here and you can search for everything or even ask the most stupid of questions to get the right answers

Unfortunately you've not had the best start and you'll need to spend some serious money and purchase an RO or but spotless because you'd need deep pockets and more than 4 Di's

With the utmost respect, you've brought the worst and cheapest Chineseium tds tester that isn't a HM digital so your figures are most likely BS based on zero equipment calibration and quality

It's absolutely key to do your research before starting out, this trade isn't a simple anyone can do it and we don't just splish splash water around on windows. Chemistry is a huge part of our trade so getting the right equipment & knowledge would of served you better

Anything over 150ppm is like liquid lead and you'll bound to encounter spotting, streaks & poor results.

Every vital piece of equipment and knowledge has been shared on here and you can search for everything or even ask the most stupid of questions to get the right answers

Unfortunately you've not had the best start and you'll need to spend some serious money and purchase an RO or but spotless because you'd need deep pockets and more than 4 Di'
I appreciate the honesty.

Is there a TDS that you would recommend?

I’m starting out like you said I have put any sort of liquid on anyone’s windows except for mine. I like the process and wouldn’t touch someone’s windows until I knew I’d be happy with that condition on my windows.

:)

Just checking I haven't missed anything here. I double DI, but have never swapped the vessels round. I measure my tds from the first output, then the second when the first hits my "danger number". I've never swapped them though, I just run through a 25l into an 11l and swap the resin when it gets to what I consider 'spent'. Am I missing something in economy here? From your post it sounds like swapping makes the resin last longer, but I figure each batch of resin can purify a finite amount of water, so don't see how that would be the case.

Always glad to learn, so if you can explain what process you're referring to I'd be grateful. :)

Just checking I haven't missed anything here. I double DI, but have never swapped the vessels round. I measure my tds from the first output, then the second when the first hits my "danger number". I've never swapped them though, I just run through a 25l into an 11l and swap the resin when it gets to what I consider 'spent'. Am I missing something in economy here? From your post it sounds like swapping makes the resin last longer, but I figure each batch of resin can purify a finite amount of water, so don't see how that would be the case.

Always glad to learn, so if you can explain what process you're referring to I'd be grateful. :)
Will try and write this in a simplified form so it’s easy to understand rather than waffling mate. This is how I’ve always done it and it works really well.
2 di’s - water goes into 1st one and then through the 2nd one (through to reel)
Once the tds of the 2nd one hits around 5 ish then place that as your first di. The original 1st di replace the resin with fresh and place that as your second di. And so on
Hope that helps
Ps I used to measure the tds on both di’s but now only measure the tds on the 2nd one before the reel as that’s the important one

I’m starting out like you said I have put any sort of liquid on anyone’s windows except for mine. I like the process and wouldn’t touch someone’s windows until I knew I’d be happy with that condition on my windows.

@Newlwb I have this one mate. 'HM' have a good reputation for TDS meters. The lower part slides off like a lid and has the tds testing prongs (or whatever it's called). I just scoop a little of the water into the lid, press the 'on' button and dunk the tester into the lid. It will give the TDS reading.

Attachments

• hm-digital-tds-3-handheld-tds-meter-with-case.jpg
    hm-digital-tds-3-handheld-tds-meter-with-case.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
@Newlwb I have this one mate. 'HM' have a good reputation for TDS meters. The lower part slides off like a lid and has the tds testing prongs (or whatever it's called). I just scoop a little of the water into the lid, press the 'on' button and dunk the tester into the lid. It will give the TDS reading.
That’s the one

You need an HM digital TDS-3 buy from this link only as this seller is trusted member if this group and only sells OEM genuine products

Why do i say that?? There are countless cheap Chineseium counterfeit clones everywhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240823_191334_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240823_191334_Chrome.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0
If you are starting out ask questions first and part with money second, you'd be wasting your time buying an R/O if you don't make the business work, you'll have already wasted money on a DI plus resin go to a Spotless water station as required and save yourself the headache of trying to produce pure water

Back