Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Electric is coming whether you like it or not

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Interesting but where is all the electricity coming from to charge at 4C? That's something like 400Kw power supply to charge one car! I'm not aware of National Grid investing big time to be able to supply these 'super chargers'.
The cars are getting better at a rate of knots but infrastructure isn't.

Their going to need to manufacture them in this country as transporting them here is not working out that well...

xcargo-ship-3000-cars-ablaze-off-dutch-coast-1-1690457563.jpg.pagespeed.ic.06yMKhQbeI.jpg

That’s coming a big battery manufacturing plant is being built near Bridgwater Somerset , and Cornwall is on the verge of having a large lithium mine enough to supply large amounts to a lot of Europe .
Cornwall having a lithium mine big enough to supply the UK would be a great start, then supplying the EU would help us become a bit more self sufficient. The EU would find some way to penalise the export of the batteries or cars with UK batteries though ? .

Cornwall having a lithium mine big enough to supply the UK would be a great start, then supplying the EU would help us become a bit more self sufficient. The EU would find some way to penalise the export of the batteries or cars with UK batteries though ? .
They are doing test mining at the moment and it’s looking very good the concentration of lithium in the test bores is very high and good quality with less contaminants than most sites , it’s only 10 miles from ware I live .

Cornish Lithium was heading for bankruptcy a few weeks ago. The Gov stepped in and gave them 50 mill to keep going. The battery mob went bust and now someone else has bought it but we are still waiting for the latest deposit from them. Its like Electric vehicles are haunted, at every turn of the wheel nothing seems to work. They keep flinging money at it and they manage to come up with another problem. The sane businesses are sticking with diesel or petrol hybrid to run an electric motor which will run the car. Tesla has dropped the price again to compete I think Tesla will go bust and folk will be stuck with them and won't be able to get parts but that's my thinking.

Cornish Lithium was heading for bankruptcy a few weeks ago. The Gov stepped in and gave them 50 mill to keep going. The battery mob went bust and now someone else has bought it but we are still waiting for the latest deposit from them. Its like Electric vehicles are haunted, at every turn of the wheel nothing seems to work. They keep flinging money at it and they manage to come up with another problem. The sane businesses are sticking with diesel or petrol hybrid to run an electric motor which will run the car. Tesla has dropped the price again to compete I think Tesla will go bust and folk will be stuck with them and won't be able to get parts but that's my thinking.
They weren't heading for bankruptcy but as a small firm needed more money to keep going with the testing the government want to encourage British firms to succeed especially in this field that’s why they have given them a loan I think they want to be associated with the project as if and when it is a roaring success ( hopefully) they think it will be a feather in there cap

The problem is govs around the world - well 1st world countries, are vowing to stop selling new diesel and petrol vehicles within the next 7 years to 'save the planet'. The problem is there isn't a feasible solution, so govs need to 'invest'/ support businesses in developing solutions for their grand plan. I am surprised our gov isn't building nuclear power stations in a big way as without burning fossil fuels wind farms and solar can only do so much even with power management/load balancing systems.

I am a bit surprised that car manufacturers are not just using IC engines as generators when needed to charge the batteries. They could build very efficient IC engines just big enough to produce enough electricity to power the car on the motorway for extra range (no mechanical drive) and plug in charging battery for 'normal' stuff. I think BMW tried it on an i3 with the extended range version.

As for Tesla I think they are just reducing their prices as now they actually have some competition, before they didn't really have much to sell against. From what I have seen they operate very like Apple in that they dictate how you can use their products and who can look after them. I have to give them some credit though as they have pushed the other manufacturers to make better EVs.

I think we will look back at the last few years in the years that come and think we where mad using Internal Combustion engines that where only 30% efficient! You only have to look how far tech has come in the last 40 years! I wasn't allowed to study 'computers' as that was only for the CSE people, now everyone has multiple 'computers'! Mobile phones where the size of a car battery, 4 tv channels, lucky to get 30mpg from a petrol car - oh hold on that's not much difference now ? ?

I heard that the batteries are only guaranteed for 8 years now. A set of batteries for an electric car are not far off £20k. So 8 year old electric cars will be as cheap as chips then the thieves will be stealing electric cars to order, just to remove the batteries. Who would have thought that batteries would be so lucrative.

You would need to charge the battery in a freezer or it will burst into flames unless they can remove the heat.
They are talking about using a new superconducting fluid which would negate the heat issue I would think
These lithium batteries are dangerous though if they crack and oxidise
This is the remains of a ups Jumbo after it’s cargo of lithium batteries went up due to leaking

Attachments

• IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 12
I heard that the batteries are only guaranteed for 8 years now. A set of batteries for an electric car are not far off £20k. So 8 year old electric cars will be as cheap as chips then the thieves will be stealing electric cars to order, just to remove the batteries. Who would have thought that batteries would be so lucrative.
That may well be true but how long is the engine in a Ford guaranteed for? It's 3 years or 60,000 miles! Just have a search for Ford EcoTech aka EcoBoom engines! So in comparison 8 years is so much better! After 8 years it doesn't mean a battery is dead, just it may have lost 10 to 20% range. On Youtube Electric Vehicle Man bought a 2016 Renault Zoe for £4400 and after 7 year sit still has the same range as new!

There will always be scare stories for 'new' technology. Some of them are completely true, some complete bull!!

I bet when cars where first on the road there where stories of them exploding with that nasty fuel, people said that if you went over 40mph you wouldn't be able to breath, they had to have people walking in front waving a flag at one point!

We won't have a choice in the not too distant future as even though the gov say they are only banning the sale of new IC cars the fuel stations will start to close, mot's tightened up and 'road tax' jacked up to price them off the road!

That may well be true but how long is the engine in a Ford guaranteed for? It's 3 years or 60,000 miles! Just have a search for Ford EcoTech aka EcoBoom engines! So in comparison 8 years is so much better! After 8 years it doesn't mean a battery is dead, just it may have lost 10 to 20% range. On Youtube Electric Vehicle Man bought a 2016 Renault Zoe for £4400 and after 7 year sit still has the same range as new!

There will always be scare stories for 'new' technology. Some of them are completely true, some complete bull!!

I bet when cars where first on the road there where stories of them exploding with that nasty fuel, people said that if you went over 40mph you wouldn't be able to breath, they had to have people walking in front waving a flag at one point!

We won't have a choice in the not too distant future as even though the gov say they are only banning the sale of new IC cars the fuel stations will start to close, mot's tightened up and 'road tax' jacked up to price them off the road!
The main question is how are they going to produce enough electricity to charge all theses cars , the simple answer is by burning fossil fuels so you might just as well keep cars with petrol and diesel engines in the first place , the whole thing is a complete twist of the facts to suite what they want to do , years ago petrol engines were the worst thing going we must all switch to diesel now it’s we must all switch to electric it’s utter rubbish, it’s all spin .

I remember electric milk floats so its not new technology. Taxi drivers up here with new electric taxis were whistling dixi because they were charging them for free. Now the reverse has happened and one guy was telling me that it was costing him £25 a night to charge it and it was going through tyres like no tomorrow. He also said it was taking 8 hours too charge and the KW price just seems to go one way, up. He wished he had never bought the damme thing, don't even mention the depreciation. Quickest way to the poor house is to buy an electric car or van and try and sell it after a few years, even the garage that sold it doesn't want it back again because the longer on the floor court the cheaper they get. ?

The push for EV is basically to limit the amount of vehicles on the road...
Vehicles are money printing machines for UK Gov since their creation. Now they want this to continue but are tangling themselves up on the red tape that comes with them. When gorgeous George removed the road tax for small cars they were sold out immediately and then had a waiting list for them. Think it lasted 3 years and then shot up to £140 when they realised how much money they had lost. It will be good to see what the road tax will be in 2025. Fuel duty is 70% of the fuel price so if we all change to electric then the UK Gov will lose alot of dough. So now they are trying to think up ways to tax electric vehicles but it is not that easy to do. At the moment everything is up in the air and I think electric cars will go out of fashion especially after 2025. Human Behaviour has always told me that humans make choices involving the money cost. Mate bought a Bentley recently and he was over the moon with it and its over 10 years old. Later he was telling me it cost him £700 or there abouts to road tax it. The gladness is slowly turning to sadness with the costs building up each day. We dislike loses nearly three times more than we like wins, its in our DNA.

They'll figure it all out along the way. In early days they will appear behind the game, but even if we as a country fall behind the rest of the countries, well the growth of China and the constant push for bigger, better, faster, cheaper will mean that any problems will get sorted but it might just take 3 or 4 years longer for us than the leading countries.

Each year our solar power generated increases massively as a proportion of total energy used and solar power is the cheapest, fastest way to produce energy. Think about it, all you need is a solar panel and an inverter with a few wires and you have power, compare that to fossil fuels and how you have to dig it up out the ground and the cost involved with doing all that... it's a no brainer.

Basically the future is car batteries that are all linked up to the grid when not in use. The grid will fill those batteries when there is too much energy generated, and use those batteries when there is not enough power generated. The actual power will be Solar and Wind Generated power. If that is not sufficient then we will import the electric via cables from sunnier countries who will be only too willing to sell us the power for profit. We're not self sufficient with our energy needs at the moment so buying in electric is no different to buying in gas, it's just that it's a clean energy.

It's simple, we won't need nuclear or anything like that, there will be a period of transitioning over to it all but ultimately the future will be totally green energy with more than likely Hydrogen power for industrial vehicles.

Vehicles are money printing machines for UK Gov since their creation. Now they want this to continue but are tangling themselves up on the red tape that comes with them. When gorgeous George removed the road tax for small cars they were sold out immediately and then had a waiting list for them. Think it lasted 3 years and then shot up to £140 when they realised how much money they had lost. It will be good to see what the road tax will be in 2025. Fuel duty is 70% of the fuel price so if we all change to electric then the UK Gov will lose alot of dough. So now they are trying to think up ways to tax electric vehicles but it is not that easy to do. At the moment everything is up in the air and I think electric cars will go out of fashion especially after 2025. Human Behaviour has always told me that humans make choices involving the money cost. Mate bought a Bentley recently and he was over the moon with it and its over 10 years old. Later he was telling me it cost him £700 or there abouts to road tax it. The gladness is slowly turning to sadness with the costs building up each day. We dislike loses nearly three times more than we like wins, its in our DNA.
Electric to charge cars is going to be charged at a much higher rate and the old 13 amp socket to charge a car is being done away with so the car chargers will be on a totally different tariff and meter the electric company will know that it’s charging a car so a higher rate of tax will be applied to the bill , this is how they intend to get the lost revenues from petrol and diesel back it will cost far more to run electric cars that diesel and petrol. initially they will offer incentives to buy electric cars but this is a sprat to catch a mackerel , there was a TV documentary a few months ago about it all and everything they said on it is coming true ,

Latest Posts

Back