Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Electric Van & Fitted Tanks

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Brandon

I've been looking into electric vans and have found an electric version of the Renault Kangoo - the Kangoo ZE.

With a payload of 650kg and a range of around 100 miles (probably more like 50 when fully loaded), I think it would make an ideal van for a fairly compact round with a 300-400 litre tank fitted for 1 operative.

The obvious advantages of owning an electric van being you don't pay any road tax, running the vehicle is so much cheaper and of course the benefits to the environment.

They can be bought quite cheaply second hand with very low miles.

I'd need to look into common faults and how much parts would cost if anything went wrong, but apart from that it seems like a decent small van.

One thing I can't quite figure out is how a water tank could be fitted, as I know electric vehicles house their batteries under the floor of the vehicle, and water tanks are fitted to the vehicle floor.

Has anyone seen an electric vehicle being used as a window cleaning van? If not do you think a tank could be fitted despite the battery pack potentially being in the way?

I've found this picture (not sure how accurate it is) that shows the battery pack housed in the middle of the load area, could the tank then be fitted at the back of the load area? 

Renault_92969_global_en.jpg

@CHWS Just seen your posts on the Vehicle Expenses thread. Great to see that you're using an electric van for window cleaning with success! Could you shed some light on the subject?

I've been looking into electric vans and have found an electric version of the Renault Kangoo - the Kangoo ZE.

With a payload of 650kg and a range of around 100 miles (probably more like 50 when fully loaded), I think it would make an ideal van for a fairly compact round with a 300-400 litre tank fitted for 1 operative.

The obvious advantages of owning an electric van being you don't pay any road tax, running the vehicle is so much cheaper and of course the benefits to the environment.

They can be bought quite cheaply second hand with very low miles.

I'd need to look into common faults and how much parts would cost if anything went wrong, but apart from that it seems like a decent small van.

One thing I can't quite figure out is how a water tank could be fitted, as I know electric vehicles house their batteries under the floor of the vehicle, and water tanks are fitted to the vehicle floor.

Has anyone seen an electric vehicle being used as a window cleaning van? If not do you think a tank could be fitted despite the battery pack potentially being in the way?

I've found this picture (not sure how accurate it is) that shows the battery pack housed in the middle of the load area, could the tank then be fitted at the back of the load area? 

View attachment 14606

Whilst there are obvious advantages to owning an electric vehicle, one of the biggest drawbacks, even now, is resale value. People would be scared about having to replace batteries at great cost. So I would need to calculate that into my overall running costs.

The other is charging facilities.

Citroen were one of the first to introduce a electric version of the Berlingo van some 15 plus years ago. When they were a couple of years old you couldn't give them away.

A customer of ours bought a Mitsubishi Hybrid Outlander PHEV a couple of years ago.  She used it as a company car locally - they couldn't wait to get shot of it and lost big money selling it.

I appreciate that electric vehicles have gained in acceptance since the electric Berlingo but I think there's a long way to go yet. Despite what Volvo and Government (funding and votes - remember global warming) are saying about internal combustion engines, I honestly believe hydrogen will be a future buzz word for combustion powered engines. Maybe I'm commenting with vision through 'old' eyes. Most Americans do mega miles in their vehicles a day - the country couldn't afford to consider electric as a total solution. I think their future policies will influence what happens in Europe and will inturn influence us.

Diesel will still play a major role in the delivery of goods and services despite what politicians say.

Hi @Brandon as far as I know about Renault you actually have to rent the battery or something, where as with Nissan you own the battery. My tank is actually bolted to all the upper bolt holes. I made a steel frame for it and bolted in to where the bulk head bolts to and also other bolt holes around it. I also fibreglassed my floor. There was an access hole that opened and when I opened it looked to have served no purpose. I do know the batteries are stored under it so it might be a problem bolting to the chassis 

Whilst there are obvious advantages to owning an electric vehicle, one of the biggest drawbacks, even now, is resale value. People would be scared about having to replace batteries at great cost. So I would need to calculate that into my overall running costs.

The other is charging facilities.

Citroen were one of the first to introduce a electric version of the Berlingo van some 15 plus years ago. When they were a couple of years old you couldn't give them away.

A customer of ours bought a Mitsubishi Hybrid Outlander PHEV a couple of years ago.  She used it as a company car locally - they couldn't wait to get shot of it and lost big money selling it.

I appreciate that electric vehicles have gained in acceptance since the electric Berlingo but I think there's a long way to go yet. Despite what Volvo and Government (funding and votes - remember global warming) are saying about internal combustion engines, I honestly believe hydrogen will be a future buzz word for combustion powered engines. Maybe I'm commenting with vision through 'old' eyes. Most Americans do mega miles in their vehicles a day - the country couldn't afford to consider electric as a total solution. I think their future policies will influence what happens in Europe and will inturn influence us.

Diesel will still play a major role in the delivery of goods and services despite what politicians say.

I also heard hydrogen will will be the future. The thing is though they might lose value but your saving at the same time with the running costs. Also where the batteries are concerned there is companies that replace the individual cells and not the whole battery 

Back