Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employees!?!?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

when you had 10 employees were you running the whole show single handed?
Yep, i was only 26 (now 27) blossomed too quickly and just wanted a clean break, dropped work that wasn't worth it, parted ways with a company who instantly told me instead of working on a bi-weekly pay to a 90-day payment terms, no thanks. We don't do any domestic window cleaning by the way, we do stuff like schools, building sites etc

We're getting bigger again and i will need to go back to finding staff, but i will possibly go via an agency, I also have a guy who runs a very large industrial cleaning company (similar to me but larger) who can supply me labour at the drop of a hat.

Also how did you go about letting 7 people go? Did you sell off the work? Just curious... managing 10 people must be hard and that's aloooot of glass!
i paid a few off, and the other 4 were agency so i just told them i never had any work for them. I'll take the others on again if i have the work to sustain it (i.e.: profit margins, not just working for the sake of keeping people in work as i was before where i felt an obligation to these people)

We are all domestic, at present I have the 2 lads out doing all the windows and I hit up a few gutters / conservatories a week to 'keep me hand in' I think by the summer I will be looking for a third lad but that will be it. With my last round back in 2008 I had 6 lads with 3 of them constantly changing, more of a headache than it's worth for me.

I like 3, seems a good number, enough to make some good money and cover each others vacation time etc but still small enough to give them the time and attention they need to feel like a valued part of the crew.

View attachment 3831 my guess,and it is a guess, is that once you make the move to 4 or more employees you need systems in place to keep close tabs on it all- or risk it falling apart due to workers taking the mick.

im thinking that a wife or partner , or possibly an old mum out on the street checking on it all would be a possibility.

the lads wouldnt like that ,

tho mum could be friendly bringin em coffee , whilst overseeing it with a clipboard ?, also be doin a spot of canvassing /touting for extra work to slot in on the afternoons

yeh the lads would love that!

Last edited:
I was a Pub Manager before I got into the cleaning game and I must say, the one thing I miss is having a team. I imagine having some other lads around you must be great for the motivation rather than just boring lone working. Looking forward to a time where I can employ.

I am too busy to get bored while working

Having people with me would just be a distraction

bore thats a great idea women wud craick the whip
i think employing a woman to oversee might well be the way forward , maybe a chinese ? i say that as in my local Mcdonalds they brought in a hands -on- chinese -no -nonsense- sort to get the place back on track when it was in sh/tstreet and she sorted it in no time. iv observed how McDonalds works right from when i first started dining there in a break from windows and it has given me no end of good ideas

such as employing 2 parttimers rather than 1 fulltimer

Back