Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fascia & gutter cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Paul Ford

Hi 

Any ideas how I can clean the fascia & guttering above the roof tiled extension below without standing on it ?

thanks 

99B2A9F7-8D56-4941-A416-56F29AA1B3F0.jpeg

Thanks 

trouble is I have only got a carbon SLX 22 that stretches to 38ft & it bends ?

no unfortunately the client would not pay extra for a tower. 

An Xtreme would bend at that angle, try the lightest brush you've got. At the end of the day some jobs you just have to say sorry I can't do it from the floor and I need to hire some equipment and the price is ???? If they don't want to pay the price they'll have to get someone else to do it. Don't beat yourself up because you can't do it, we have loads of different poles etc but sometimes say no as the investment required doesn't warrant taking the job on

thanks it’s frustrating as I regularly clean their windows, it’s a big house and would be a well paid job for me, the only issue as you know is the part above the extension. 
totally agree with you.  

Just do it from the ground don’t  extend any section fully this will make the pole much stiffer we do ones like this all the time it’s a bit hard going on the lower back and shoulders though , I would spray with virosol mix first to soften it up then light rub with the pole and rinse with garden hose that’s the easiest way to do that to save your body . 

The only "cheap" way I can see that being done is by getting some scaffold boards under the top fascia for you to walk on. Should be relatively safe but not exactly ideal and as long as you're not my size the tiles should be safe as well.
Wouldn’t comply with H &S but years ago I would run up a roof like that it’s shallow pitch , the tiles should be fine depending on your size don’t  do  on a wet day and stand to the dry side of the roof and work your way across as you are cleaning . BUT IME  NOT RECOMMENDING DOING  THIS ,but it SHOULD be ok if you are competent at heights . 

Wouldn’t comply with H &S but years ago I would run up a roof like that it’s shallow pitch , the tiles should be fine depending on your size don’t  do  on a wet day and stand to the dry side of the roof and work your way across as you are cleaning . BUT IME  NOT RECOMMENDING DOING  THIS ,but it SHOULD be ok if you are competent at heights . 
Agreed but it is residential and as long as he explains what he's doing to the home owner, is careful and doesn't do it on a wet / freezing cold day he should be ok. I wouldn't advise anyone to walk and work on any roof but that one has a very shallow pitch and appears to be moss free. 

Ultimately the OP should risk assess it and make his own mind up.

That roof at a glance looks fine to walk on providing they are concrete type tiles and robust, as a sole trader I'd have no issue walking on a roof like that and have to on some window jobs, if I was doing the fsg I'd possibly consider doing it by hand with a spray bottle to avoid a slip hazard as these tiles can be slippy when wet more so if they have greened up some over the years

Could you not use the water fed pole to wet, apply a light hypo blend and then rinse. From the ground. And a gutter vac if u need to remove debris from inside gutter

Could you not use the water fed pole to wet, apply a light hypo blend and then rinse. From the ground. And a gutter vac if u need to remove debris from inside gutter
Then  you will end up leaving cleaner patches on the roof underneath. 

You would need to soak the roof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'd never use hypo as a matter of routine on plastic and the window frames would also need thorough soaking before, during and after. As @Pjjhas said already use Virosol. That is far safer, less harsh and more suitable for f/s/g or TFR, Kryptonite or any other multi surface type of cleaner

Personally I'd never use hypo as a matter of routine on plastic and the window frames would also need thorough soaking before, during and after. As @Pjjhas said already use Virosol. That is far safer, less harsh and more suitable for f/s/g or TFR, Kryptonite or any other multi surface type of cleaner
The window frames would not need soaking as you would be using a 1% mix on the fascias etc anyway and would only improve the frames.

I do this sort of thing daily.

Out of interest why would you not use it on upvc?

That roof at a glance looks fine to walk on providing they are concrete type tiles and robust, as a sole trader I'd have no issue walking on a roof like that and have to on some window jobs, if I was doing the fsg I'd possibly consider doing it by hand with a spray bottle to avoid a slip hazard as these tiles can be slippy when wet more so if they have greened up some over the years
I'm like a mountain goat mate.. I'd just run up it lol.

The window frames would not need soaking as you would be using a 1% mix on the fascias etc anyway and would only improve the frames.

I do this sort of thing daily.

Out of interest why would you not use it on upvc?
Yes we regularly use hypo now on plastic cleans it’s our favourite product for best results , but don’t like using it from the point of view of getting the drips on yourself . We do use a lot of Virosol but hypo does  freshen up old grey plastics very nicely . 

Yes we regularly use hypo now on plastic cleans it’s our favourite product for best results , but don’t like using it from the point of view of getting the drips on yourself . We do use a lot of Virosol but hypo does  freshen up old grey plastics very nicely . 
You're a chlorine cowboy just like me Paul ?

I'm like a mountain goat mate.. I'd just run up it lol.
I know your track record you need to be more cautious now your getting older ?

Mind you, I was up a ladder yesterday cleaning internals not done that for a while 

Those 5' high internals must be really tricky for you
Over 12ft up high level windows and glass balustrade panels, not really something I wanted to do so much, but it's for a regular well paying job and if they have them done every 4 months it will be a decent extra just more time consuming trying not to knock the chandelier's 

Back