Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Clean Methods

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thanks for the advise mate. I love that feeling! This is what’s great about this work. You can put the time and effort in and see instant, huge results. The feeling of exceeding a customers expectations is amazing, addictive almost and I find that the feeling filters through into all other aspects of life away from work 
You can smell the enthusiasm of a newbie ? Just wait until you've been doing it for 5 years, your shoulders aching, it's freezing cold and you've got a minging first clean to do ?

You've got to charge double on first cleans, if you are more apprehensive about charging double at least charge 50% more if you are wanting to gain work, I always explain a first clean will take 3 times longer than a regular clean to get the frames up to standard, I use Ubik-2000 on all of the windows and a magic sponge on lower sills as required but I don't go over board as in a restoration job if frames are really grey. 

You've got to charge double on first cleans, if you are more apprehensive about charging double at least charge 50% more if you are wanting to gain work, I always explain a first clean will take 3 times longer than a regular clean to get the frames up to standard, I use Ubik-2000 on all of the windows and a magic sponge on lower sills as required but I don't go over board as in a restoration job if frames are really grey. 
I always charge double, id just like to start getting a bit quicker but I know that will come. I’m a lot quicker than when I first started but not as quick as I want to be! 

I always charge double, id just like to start getting a bit quicker but I know that will come. I’m a lot quicker than when I first started but not as quick as I want to be! 
Speed comes with practice but it’s worth taking the extra time on the first clean when you do the second clean it will be very quick like you had been cleaning it for years as all the grime has been removed .  

Speed comes with practice but it’s worth taking the extra time on the first clean when you do the second clean it will be very quick like you had been cleaning it for years as all the grime has been removed .  
I have only had a few cancel after i have spent much time on a first clean. Both houses were joined and they were related. I needed to use 3 ladders trading those houses. I'm very glad they cancelled but with the wfp they would be a lot easier now.

That has been my attitude from first starting, the more time and effort I put in now the easier the rest will be. It’s been great turning up on the following maintenance clean and flying through it - apart from the last few days after these storms. It’s made a right mess of a lot of them! 

I have almost got first cleans down to fine art and can get them done pretty quick, but a 4 bed detached in 40 minutes and charging double does mean I am earning less than I would like, they can all be different, I take as much time as needed and sometimes a job will take me longer than I hope

I have almost got first cleans down to fine art and can get them done pretty quick, but a 4 bed detached in 40 minutes and charging double does mean I am earning less than I would like, they can all be different, I take as much time as needed and sometimes a job will take me longer than I hope
Do you just use pure on them?

Is this using pure water all they way through with the UBIK or is it any water UBIK and finish off with pure? That’s great going! 

Is this using pure water all they way through with the UBIK or is it any water UBIK and finish off with pure? That’s great going! 
If it’s not to bad we just use pure water , if it’s really minging we spray a 10-1 mix of virisol on all the windows and doors and all frame work and scrub using lure and rinse with pure , if you don’t  have much pure you could do the initial clean and remove most of the dirt with the tap water then do the final quick rub and rinse with pure 

If it’s not to bad we just use pure water , if it’s really minging we spray a 10-1 mix of virisol on all the windows and doors and all frame work and scrub using lure and rinse with pure , if you don’t  have much pure you could do the initial clean and remove most of the dirt with the tap water then do the final quick rub and rinse with pure 
That’s what I’m doing at the minute. Got a big place tomorrow first clean in and out. Need to see if the UBIK will react with the sandstone looking window surrounds on these Georgian windows. Fingers crossed it won’t ?? 

259B822A-FDB5-45C5-A0A4-0D129F3039C9.jpeg

One of the things we forget as window cleaners is that it takes time to build a business and as others have said, that is built on customer trust @BWC.

We charge extra for the initial clean for 2 reasons;

1. Its takes longer.

2. The customer may only want a one off clean but disguising it as a regular clean request..

So when that very nice lady says after the clean that she will phone you when she wants them cleaned again, then you can walk away knowing that she hasn't totally caught you for a sucker. You were prepared for this.

We take our time on the first clean and ensure that the job is right (no streaks left on any windows). We also explain that window frame restoration isn't what we do but we clean frames as part of the service.

If you see black streaks down the frames from weathered window seals then you need to ensure the customer understands that this isn't something you can fix.

This house you are going to clean tomorrow has sash windows. My advice is start at the top. Do the top half of the window and frame first. I would also clean under the center meeting rail.and let them drip down. Work around the house and then come back and do the bottom glass, frame, inner sliders and cill. Then do the lower windows the same way.

As @Pjj says, speed will come later. IMHO first cleans aren't the time to show off your cleaning speed skills. That customer needs to see they are getting value for money. For some strange reason, a customer sees value and price as the same thing.

If it's a first clean always do outside first, amazing what you can see from the inside looking out. Be careful with those windows as the amount of ? that gets in the side runners is unbelievable.
I’ll be sure to be thorough with the hosepipe scrubbing and rinsing off before i finish off with the pure water! 

Back