Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First clean results

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ian F

Hi

I've not been too happy with the overall finish of the glass after my first cleans. I haven't had complaints but being self critical.

I did a rather large bungalow yesterday so after I'd finished had chance to go back and take a look at the windows which had dried. There are marks on the glass ,mainly to the lower end which are visible. A quick wipe with a dry cloth and they come off but I don't understand why they are still there after a good brush with chemical and rinsing (very) thoroughly. 

Can anyone help 

Thanks

Hi

I've not been too happy with the overall finish of the glass after my first cleans. I haven't had complaints but being self critical.

I did a rather large bungalow yesterday so after I'd finished had chance to go back and take a look at the windows which had dried. There are marks on the glass ,mainly to the lower end which are visible. A quick wipe with a dry cloth and they come off but I don't understand why they are still there after a good brush with chemical and rinsing (very) thoroughly. 

Can anyone help 

Thanks
If it’s at the bottom of the glass you need to really scrub the bottom seal and frame. If there is dirt built up there it will be drawn out through capillary action. Either that or your not rinsing all the way to bottom. All windows are different mate, some will give you trouble in different ways and some not at all.

On first cleans I use screwfix degreaser on every window and leave them to soak and then give them a good scrub.  It just gets the window free of grease and dirt ready for just using pure all the time.  

Basically just use a rectangular bucket with a mix of pure and degreaser and just dip the brush in the bucket and proceed to apply to the windows and frame, then do the one next to it then go back to the first and give it a really good scrub, same with second then clean off thoroughly with pure. 

I spend a lot of time on first cleans, first impressions count and all that.  Getting off on the right foot is the most important, speed can come later once you have the customers trust.    

Basically just use a rectangular bucket with a mix of pure and degreaser and just dip the brush in the bucket and proceed to apply to the windows and frame, then do the one next to it then go back to the first and give it a really good scrub, same with second then clean off thoroughly with pure. 

I don't even do that with the bucket I just spray it directly onto my brush. Soak up windows, spray brush, give entire window a good scrub with water turned off, let it dwell for x amount of time, give another good scrub but with water on, thorough rinse.

Another simple but effective solution is to squirt fairy liquid on the brush for first cleans. As long as rinsing is done off the glass it works very well. 

If it’s at the bottom of the glass you need to really scrub the bottom seal and frame. If there is dirt built up there it will be drawn out through capillary action. Either that or your not rinsing all the way to bottom. All windows are different mate, some will give you trouble in different ways and some not at all.
Yes, always seems to be bottom. I first thought I wasn't rinsing enough but that certainly isn't the case now. I've been using screwfix degreaser, spray on diluted then scrub , leave a minute or so then scrub with pure water on.

I think I may get a stiffer brush .... mine are soft/medium 

I don't even do that with the bucket I just spray it directly onto my brush. Soak up windows, spray brush, give entire window a good scrub with water turned off, let it dwell for x amount of time, give another good scrub but with water on, thorough rinse.
Same as me, I use caustic TFR from vision. Awesome stuff.

Yes, always seems to be bottom. I first thought I wasn't rinsing enough but that certainly isn't the case now. I've been using screwfix degreaser, spray on diluted then scrub , leave a minute or so then scrub with pure water on.

I think I may get a stiffer brush .... mine are soft/medium 
I use either a flocked or a tucker dual trim for first cleans.

I go up and squirt the frames with water to get them wet, then I scrub the window and frames with TFR that I apply to the brush head directly.

I then put an abrasive or microfibre attachment on the pole and give the glass the best damn scrub its ever had, by that time the frames have had a couple of minutes of TFR treatment, get the flow on high and scrub the frames again before rinsing everything off.

Might sound like over kill but it gets the windows clean as can be.

I go up and squirt the frames with water to get them wet, then I scrub the window and frames with TFR that I apply to the brush head directly.

I then put an abrasive or microfibre attachment on the pole and give the glass the best damn scrub its ever had, by that time the frames have had a couple of minutes of TFR treatment, get the flow on high and scrub the frames again before rinsing everything off.

TFR dilute or neat?

Do you put a cloth on a bronze wool pad holder?

TFR dilute or neat?
You can put a a few dabs on neat, because once you have wet the window up its going to get diluted anyways.

BE VERY CAREFUL with this stuff, never let it dry on as you'll ruin the frames and glass.

Do you put a cloth on a bronze wool pad holder?
I made a bronze wool applicator from an old extreme stock, a made a micro fibre one the same way.

Will i need to do any of this on windows ive been cleaning Trad or just my new customers?
Yes you have to treat them as first cleans but you shouldn't need to use a tfr  or anything.  The way I don't it is do everything frames and glass really scrubbing the frames then start again but I dry the top of the frames off with a towel or cloth and only do the glass . 

Yes you have to treat them as first cleans but you shouldn't need to use a tfr  or anything.  The way I don't it is do everything frames and glass really scrubbing the frames then start again but I dry the top of the frames off with a towel or cloth and only do the glass . 
I ment when i move frpm trad to wfp

I used to just spray the brush but I found it annoyingly awkward when the pole is extended, bring the pole back down and having to then get to the head (which is not within reach) just to spray it.

Using a ready mixed bucket means you don't have to pre-wet the window which saves time, you just dunk the brush in the bucket and get on with it.  For the upstairs windows you just have to have the bucket further away and keep the pole extended.

I used to just spray the brush but I found it annoyingly awkward when the pole is extended, bring the pole back down and having to then get to the head (which is not within reach) just to spray it.

Using a ready mixed bucket means you don't have to pre-wet the window which saves time, you just dunk the brush in the bucket and get on with it.  For the upstairs windows you just have to have the bucket further away and keep the pole extended.

Each to their own mate. But by the time you've farted on with filling buckets and putting in solution I'll of already soaked up the window and give it a good scrub already ?‍♂️

Each to their own mate. But by the time you've farted on with filling buckets and putting in solution I'll of already soaked up the window and give it a good scrub already ?‍♂️

Takes less than a minute to empty half a drum into a bucket for me, probably 20 seconds, then that bucket is good for the whole house unless it's a really bad one.   I find I then am able to do what I want to do faster and better compared to just spraying the brush.

Back