Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Not sure what

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If a customer thinks your work is not up to the standard they expect and so ceases with your service it is entirely up to them. And if you believe your technique etc is okay , then you have done what you do. If however you get more complaints then perhaps your technique is at fault, but at this time you aren,t. So it is a case of natural wastage. And maybe they are using an excuse to cut back on their outgoings.
Agree mike you get a red flag with some that say i let other one go and you find why eventually becos not incases where it's a windys work but becos they've messed about with payments or skipping schedule cleans when they've asked for your services so rather it put us off they don't get a flexible windy its bye bye and there are plenty of us

If a customer thinks your work is not up to the standard they expect and so ceases with your service it is entirely up to them. And if you believe your technique etc is okay , then you have done what you do. If however you get more complaints then perhaps your technique is at fault, but at this time you aren,t. So it is a case of natural wastage. And maybe they are using an excuse to cut back on their outgoings.
Times have got harder financially for custs everything going up etc i always probably think you'd get more complaints from a first clean with substantially dirty and grimed windows especially sills and frame bottoms

I did send a professional messgae yesterday obviously apologising that he wasn't satisfied with the clean, and that id like to see issues of concern and rectify these with an offer of discounted price as its not all windows that are of concern from what cust expressed. And ??

15 minutes isn't long enough for a 3 bed detached unless it's a new build smaller type.

Every cleaner has different standards, I class myself as up there at least in the top 5% if not at the top when it comes to standards. After cleaning I wipe down all sills with a microfibre cloth and also wipe underneath the sills. I also wipe the door handles and give the wall lights a quick wipe.

But that's just my standards, they are very high but my prices are also high. Your prices are way cheaper than mine so I expect your standards will be lower than mine but your price reflects this. So I wouldn't worry. You just need to make the customer aware that your price is cheap compared to the likes of me, sell your service based on cheap and reliable, I sell my services as being the best and reliable.

Btw, everyone has different standards, what one person regards as 'not worth worrying about' another regards it as a big problem, this is customers and window cleaners / cleaners in general. I've spent over 20 years in most aspects of cleaning and worked with hundreds of cleaners, I've seen the difference in peoples standards and I know mine is at the top.
How condescending
“Your prices are lower so you won’t have as high standards”
You got a high opinion of yourself don’t you

How condescending
“Your prices are lower so you won’t have as high standards”
You got a high opinion of yourself don’t you
I do have a very high opinion of myself, it's called 'confidence' and it's because I value myself highly and I know 100% that I am up there in terms of being at the top with high standards, I know this through experience.

However, there are two parts to window cleaning, one is doing the work, the second is running a business with good business sense and the two are totally unrelated. You can offer the cheapest rubbish service but still operate a very profitable business, and you can run the best possible service and but operate a very unprofitable business.

It's nothing personal, but cheap price and quality service don't go hand in hand, if the price is cheap it usually means that the service is poor.

Tell me how many £6 window cleaners offer a better standard of cleaning than yourself?

I do have a very high opinion of myself, it's called 'confidence' and it's because I value myself highly and I know 100% that I am up there in terms of being at the top with high standards, I know this through experience.

However, there are two parts to window cleaning, one is doing the work, the second is running a business with good business sense and the two are totally unrelated. You can offer the cheapest rubbish service but still operate a very profitable business, and you can run the best possible service and but operate a very unprofitable business.

It's nothing personal, but cheap price and quality service don't go hand in hand, if the price is cheap it usually means that the service is poor.

Tell me how many £6 window cleaners offer a better standard of cleaning than yourself?
I know plenty that are good window cleaners that are cheap doesn't necessarily mean they lack quality just they are just competitive honestly i know plenty that are as cheap or cheaper that do work that the customer is very satisfied with when you hand a card out and a cust says sorry mate already have one is an obvious clue if your work isn't great then your reputation is damaged and keeps damaging can't imagine business would be be very profitable. yes there probably are some that just aren't that bothered but plenty that are ?

I know plenty that are good window cleaners that are cheap doesn't necessarily mean they lack quality just they are just competitive honestly i know plenty that are as cheap or cheaper that do work that the customer is very satisfied with when you hand a card out and a cust says sorry mate already have one is an obvious clue if your work isn't great then your reputation is damaged and keeps damaging can't imagine business would be be very profitable. yes there probably are some that just aren't that bothered but plenty that are ?
I've not come across any cleaner who has been cheap and offered a high standard of service, most of the work I get has come from cheaper window cleaners where the customer has sacked them off. Based on what I've seen, cheaper is usually cheap for a reason.

I'm experiencing it myself. The houses that I haven't yet put up the price since 2019 to what I charge the new customers now in 2022 I treat at a different level of standard, it's only slight but those extra checks and those windows where the customer has left something in the way I just tend to dodge around it and put in less effort at ensuring it's perfect because I'm trying to clean it faster to achieve my higher 2022 hourly rate. Now if I didn't put up the price for say 10 years my standards would keep dropping as I will be less and less happy to spend the time to do a top quality job. I expect this is the case for most window cleaners and is why you end up with cheap window cleaners who have poor standards.

Anyway good luck with your business, I've got my own to run (y)

The houses that I haven't yet put up the price since 2019 to what I charge the new customers now in 2022 I treat at a different level of standard
Everyone runs their business they way they see fit. I am just curious as to why you don't just put up the 2019 prices and maintain your high standards. Surely at some point the 2019 customers are going to think your standards are slipping they won't think it's because you haven't put up the prices?

Everyone runs their business they way they see fit. I am just curious as to why you don't just put up the 2019 prices and maintain your high standards. Surely at some point the 2019 customers are going to think your standards are slipping they won't think it's because you haven't put up the prices?
I will be, I was going to do it this month but I've had 2 customers on low cost houses contact me wanting to cancel because of rising costs of energy, food, petrol etc. So I've decided to wait for the dust to settle after the massive energy price increase in April and then I'll increase the prices.

I've just had this email from Uswitch

-------------------------------------------------

On 1 April, average energy bills are set to rise from £1,277 to £1,971* a year for standard variable tariff customers, with around 80% of energy customers affected.

Now I know there will be those who say it's just business, whack up the price but to say that customers are not going to consider cancelling it is wishful thinking, people don't have money trees in their gardens. It's over a 50% increase now and it will be going up another 50% in December. So it will be £3,000 per year in December. So that's 5 times higher than I was paying in 2021 and that's just housing energy costs.

It's going to be very uncertain and early indications are that those on lower incomes are already cancelling and that's the ones who are looking ahead and are organised, they haven't got a choice and I don't blame them.

End of the day window cleaning is a service that isn't necessary. I haven't ever seen a time in my life where the costs of all essential bills are rocketing like they are. Rent / housing, Energy, Food, Fuel.

I'm just being careful, I'm close to achieving my goal and don't want to lose a load of customers via poorly timed rises.

At current gas wholesale prices, the cap will be going up in October 13%, not 50%.

The 50% figure was worked out when gas prices hit their peak. They are well below that now.
It’s just newspaper sensationalism at the moment.
It’s still a big hit but nowhere near as bad.

At current gas wholesale prices, the cap will be going up in October 13%, not 50%.

The 50% figure was worked out when gas prices hit their peak. They are well below that now.
It’s just newspaper sensationalism at the moment.
It’s still a big hit but nowhere near as bad.
It doesn't look too good atm

It's dropped a bit but it's still very high compared to this time last year. I'm not overly confident in your prediction looking at the chart, I'm preparing for the worst.

They are saying it's estimated to be 29%, so I'm preparing for 50%.

I will be, I was going to do it this month but I've had 2 customers on low cost houses contact me wanting to cancel because of rising costs of energy, food, petrol etc. So I've decided to wait for the dust to settle after the massive energy price increase in April and then I'll increase the prices.

I've just had this email from Uswitch

On 1 April, average energy bills are set to rise from £1,277 to £1,971* a year for standard variable tariff customers, with around 80% of energy customers affected.

Now I know there will be those who say it's just business, whack up the price but to say that customers are not going to consider cancelling it is wishful thinking, people don't have money trees in their gardens. It's over a 50% increase now and it will be going up another 50% in December. So it will be £3,000 per year in December. So that's 5 times higher than I was paying in 2021 and that's just housing energy costs.

It's going to be very uncertain and early indications are that those on lower incomes are already cancelling and that's the ones who are looking ahead and are organised, they haven't got a choice and I don't blame them.

End of the day window cleaning is a service that isn't necessary. I haven't ever seen a time in my life where the costs of all essential bills are rocketing like they are. Rent / housing, Energy, Food, Fuel.

I'm just being careful, I'm close to achieving my goal and don't want to lose a load of customers via poorly timed rises.
I wish you all best with the higher prices you charge, with the rise of inflation as customers even getting a high level standard clean will be looking to cut back difficult times for all and they don't generally drop inflations quickly, always rise

Slight off-topic
I would like to see some of you seasoned windies in action ie your speed so I could see where I'm going wrong with how long jobs take me

A 3 bed detached would be £20 for me but would take me 30mins a 5 bed detached 3 storey would be 1hr from turning up to driving away, I think the customer must think I've moved in as I'm there so long

Can you speedy guys do a video from when you first pull up to driving away

I don't have hose rollers in my van and have barn doors so unless the back of the van is pointing where the hose needs to go that takes a bit of time, but I must be spending too much time on each window

Slight off-topic
I would like to see some of you seasoned windies in action ie your speed so I could see where I'm going wrong with how long jobs take me

A 3 bed detached would be £20 for me but would take me 30mins a 5 bed detached 3 storey would be 1hr from turning up to driving away, I think the customer must think I've moved in as I'm there so long

I don't have hose rollers in my van and have barn doors so unless the back of the van is pointing where the hose needs to go that takes a bit of time, but I must be spending too much time on each window
It can all depend on experience and technique, access to grounds and to how much muck has settled on glass and frames ie bird and bug poo and schedule frequency i have the double doors with connector ports under van for reel fill and drain, you get quicker and flow round the more you navigate the property regularly when i first started i was told or guided on time scale per window that is maintained monthly so small windows around 30/35 seconds from scrub to rinse and sill wipe bigger windows from 1min 30se i have a couple of houses that are like manors that takes me about 1hr youtube is ok for technique and tips from pros in general but you will adapt your own way that will quicken not sure if you'd get a demo vid as be wanting to get it through work

We always tell customers that if there is any problems within 24 hours of the clean we will come back and have a look and if needs be do the windows again.
It sounds more like he was looking for an excuse to not have the windows done,could be that he can't afford it anymore or he got a cheaper quote ?

Slight off-topic

When we're down in Leighton Buzzard in May, pop along and watch my son and I. We'll do, around, 24 flats in 75 minutes or so. Will be first thing so we'll be away by 9.15

Slight off-topic

sorry Ime a technophobe so the video is a no no , but you are more than welcome to come out with us for a day or two to see how we work and the volume of jobs we do per day , several on hear have already done so .

We always tell customers that if there is any problems within 24 hours of the clean we will come back and have a look and if needs be do the windows again.
It sounds more like he was looking for an excuse to not have the windows done,could be that he can't afford it anymore or he got a cheaper quote ?
More than likely I've always told customers if theres any issues contact me i messaged to ask if i can assess and rectify issue but nothing so win some lose some ?

sorry Ime a technophobe so the video is a no no , but you are more than welcome to come out with us for a day or two to see how we work and the volume of jobs we do per day , several on hear have already done so .
Thanks for the offer, I'm in bucks so a long way away, but if I get down to fish the Upper Tamar again then I'll give you a shout

When we're down in Leighton Buzzard in May, pop along and watch my son and I. We'll do, around, 24 flats in 75 minutes or so. Will be first thing so we'll be away by 9.15
Yes Ok let me know nearer the time and if I can I'll pop down and see how it's done

I could do a vid for you but not until next week as softwashing a rendered house tomorrow and doing the decking etc but on the glass Monday
Simple really
High flow
Scrub the glass up and down
Put brush on the top and go down the glass like zorro and that is also the rinse
Scrub sill
Next window

Latest Posts

Back