Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Clean

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I agree to a point. However I think it is nearly impossible to completely get rid of ladders in out line of work. Well at this moment in time. There will always be flat roof extensions that mean you have to climb up on to get at, or slipped tiles stopping you using a gutter vac. Until there is a way round those issues a ladder will be necessary. I know the jobs are few and far between, but there will always be those odd 1 or 2 that mean ladders are unavoidable. Obviously if your starting out in similar situations to how you did, then ladders are a necessary tool. And I'd fully support an apprenticeship type training for windys, I looked into this as a way of taking on a member of staff on the cheap when I get that big, and there is one covering external contract cleaning where you can do window cleaning as your placement, can't remember what the actual course name is, but making the industry more, for lack of the right word "respectable" and safer, would benefit everyone, custys and windys alike.
All of my work is now 100% wfp, and I'm slowly converting my father in laws work, whilst facing resistance from him (old school trader set in ways) even though in 25 years he's had 8 falls!!!
Well put. Although in most commercial window cleaning ladders have been obsolete for over a decade now and you couldn’t use them even if you wanted to, they are an integral part of a domestic window cleaners kit. I know a lot like to pick and choose their jobs based on what they are willing to do but aren’t they usually the same people slating some 100% traditional cleaners for doin half a job cos they don’t do frames and windows over connys etc. Well isn’t refusing to use ladders just the same? What about all the blind first cleans on upstairs windows that your doin. I know you like to use your instincts but you will never be 100% sure. Even if you don’t like workin off ladders you will still need them for access like flat roofs that poles can’t get to and bolted gates that you can’t reach off the ground. I know some of you text the night before to leave gates unlocked but you can’t expect them to leave them unsecured altogether blowing off their hinges in the wind.
The world is always changing and I always agree that if you don’t keep up you will be left behind, that said until I sprout wings and learn to fly ladders will always be a part of my kit.
If your not confident then don’t use them, simple as, but if they were as unsafe as some people say they would stop making them altogether not to mention the 1000s of tradesman that use them everyday.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Well put. Although in most commercial window cleaning ladders have been obsolete for over a decade now and you couldn’t use them even if you wanted to, they are an integral part of a domestic window cleaners kit. I know a lot like to pick and choose their jobs based on what they are willing to do but aren’t they usually the same people slating some 100% traditional cleaners for doin half a job cos they don’t do frames and windows over connys etc. Well isn’t refusing to use ladders just the same? What about all the blind first cleans on upstairs windows that your doin. I know you like to use your instincts but you will never be 100% sure. Even if you don’t like workin off ladders you will still need them for access like flat roofs that poles can’t get to and bolted gates that you can’t reach off the ground. I know some of you text the night before to leave gates unlocked but you can’t expect them to leave them unsecured altogether blowing off their hinges in the wind.
The world is always changing and I always agree that if you don’t keep up you will be left behind, that said until I sprout wings and learn to fly ladders will always be a part of my kit.
If your not confident then don’t use them, simple as, but if they were as unsafe as some people say they would stop making them altogether not to mention the 1000s of tradesman that use them everyday.

I have been domestic window cleaning ladder free for years!

Just don't need them.

You don’t need them because you choose not to use them and that’s up to you. Wfp has been a major game changer. I know loads of lads that wouldn’t have dreamed of being a window cleaner if they had to climb a ladder. I just think its good to have more than one way of doin things at your disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

You don’t need them because you choose not to use them and that’s up to you. Wfp has been a major game changer. I know loads of lads that wouldn’t have dreamed of being a window cleaner if they had to climb a ladder. I just think its good to have more than one way of doin things at your disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Agree with you there its good to be diverse in your approach.

I do have a small step ladder that helps with going over some conny's, that and being 6'3".

I did start window cleaning off ladder's but never liked it and don't miss it all. there is plenty of customers out there, more than enough to tailor your round to suit your needs.

I don't feel as though I am cleaning upstairs blind as i follow the same routine for the downstairs windows which always come up exceptional, if i am ever unsure i will simply have a look through the customers eyes and ask them to let me know if i missed anything.

I was 25 years on the ladders, until I went Wfp last year, never managed to hurt myself in all that time I think because I tried not to be complacent, and if there were certain windows that looked a bit dodgy to get at I declined it. I lost a few jobs, but if another window cleaner wanted to take the risk so be it.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I used to use ubik 2000 or virosol pretreat, now just clean them twice.
1st time with flocked brush and rinse out all slot vents, then go over again with the extreme brush.

A window cleaner that does a proper job.
If you clean them properly first time , then maintaining them is a lot easier.
There's plenty of splash and dash round.
And I always charge accordingly to the state of the Windows on a first clean.
I've seen Windies that charge low and because there working out of an estate car with a few barrels they wfp the glass and don't touch the vents or top of the frames.
If you rock up to property with upvc that hasn't been touched for years and you clean them twice you'll get less complaints, more recommendations and probably keep that customer. [emoji38]

I quite agree with you but there are still some total idiots out there saw this guy today ladder propped up on stones and he’s 70 . Working on a nursing home , then they wonder why they have accidents 

906E72B9-A387-4102-8C4A-AD6FBCD36CE1.jpeg

OP, how do you want to do a good cleaning without chemicals? It's the stuff you extremely needed. If you don't want to have intoxication or chemical burn, just use a respirator and the gloves. I'm not new in cleaning. A few years ago I worked with one window cleaning company. They gave masks and gloves to all of their employes. There is no problem with using any chemicals if you do it right. And the result almost always is better than without them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one always makes me chuckle.. posted it before

Hse numpty

https://youtu.be/Yd_FMM8FPAU

I like the comment "That just proves the system doesn't work" ?

OP, how do you want to do a good cleaning without chemicals? It's the stuff you extremely needed. If you don't want to have intoxication or chemical burn, just use a respirator and the gloves. I'm not new in cleaning. A few years ago I worked with one window cleaning company. They gave masks and gloves to all of their employes. There is no problem with using any chemicals if you do it right. And the result almost always is better than without them.

Because its the chemicals that cause the streaks on the glass. I just use pure hot water now and not had a single complaint, touch wood.

Back