Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What do you charge to clean conservatory roofs?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I tend to avoid lean-to roofs like that now as the pitch of the roof is very shallow so is a pain in the **** to clean properly. They are normally totally mingers too including the plastic roof bar trims as most don't get them cleaned very often if at all. Some I’ve seen are so bad that lichen is well established growing on the roof panels and frames.

Always best to look closely at the roof from the top either by ladder or ask to look out of an upstairs window to see how bad it actually is before giving a price as those small one like that can take ages to get clean.

Pricewise is down to you how much you charge but they are generally a real pain in the **** to clean properly so my advice is to charge well to make it worth your while.

Got a 2nd fsg job today smurf

Next sunday will be good for me

Decided not to sell ladders and this happens lol

What else do i need to think of selling to get more work:D

Roofing tools maybe

Anyway back to the thread everyone asking what to charge is pointless when we all live and work in different areas with different prices due to affluency, proximity to london, north or south etc

I think the best thing to do is guestimate how long it will take multiply that by minimum hourly rate then add a bit extra time as it never works out to what you think it will

Then add smurf tax (arsehole)

Then you have your price

One end of the country to the other can be a huge price difference

Ps that isn't calling smurf an arsehole lol

That is smurfs word for the extra to whack on

I've been called many things and some much worse than arsehole /emoticons/biggrin.png

@daveyboy1 I though about wife swapping before but decided that swapping her for a skoda was a bad idea after all. Reason being I would have no one to drive me about in it /emoticons/biggrin.png

firat conny i did i charged 30 and felt guilty as it ONLY took 2 hours. you see coming from earning £6 an hour it felt like a fortune. but as you get more work and realise all the overheads involved your prices go up. the last conny i did was 80 quid a 3 hour round trip.

I've moved on a lot since I posted this thread, the last conny roof I did was £150 in 4 hours, but I charged fairly, customer said the price was fair...

Getting a good price means you'll do a better job

View attachment 4686

Thanks...

Reason why I asked is when I do jobs like that the first thing they tend to spot is if any moss etc is left in the corner rain gullies or around any hatches especialy at the back of them if not cleaned out properly.

Yeah I was still up on the conny when that pic was taken, hadn't rinsed off the gullies yet

I take it you use a conservatory ladder then?
As I said smurf, I'm old school, I get up there and crack on, it's a solid steel frames conny, no worries!

No faffing, be a man and get up there!

(Yes it's safe, yes I asked the customer, yes it's steel framed under all the white, yes I know where to stand, yes I have good balance, yes most would say I'm mad, no I've never had an accident, no I don't stand on flimsy roofs/plastic roofs, no I'm not overweight, yes I stand only where the support is strongest, yes it's the only way you can get a conny spotless when it has a shallow drop etc etc, oh and I'm not into all that health and saftey, I know my skill level, I know what's safe, and yes I know a guy that fits connys and he has said they can take 16stkne easy on the struts /emoticons/biggrin.png)

Sometimes I'll use boards, but only when necessary

Oh the joys of being young and rather foolish.

Do installers walk about on a conservatory roof when it's wet & better still blast it with a washer whilst stood up there? ....

I think not somehow as they have more common sense surely?

Oh the joys of being young and rather foolish.
Do installers walk about on a conservatory roof when it's wet & better still blast it with a washer whilst stood up there? ....

I think not somehow as they have more common sense surely?
Ohh moody smurf:eek:

Honestly mate in 8 years I've never had a problem, I am a well regarded window cleaner, hence getting Porsche jobs etc.

Many of the window cleaners I know do it this way, I was 'trained' this way and in my view it's the best way to get it clean, there was no way I'd have got it clean without being above the conny, remember smurf I use low pressure, and I only stand where the joists and structure will support me, I also said I don't stand on plastic roofs or flimsy roofs,

I have friends who have been cleaning windows for 20 years (one who trained me as an 18 year old for 4 years) who still do it this way, and they have never had a problem, so why is it a problem with you smurf? Come on mate, it's doesn't need to be an issue for you does it?

Sometimes I get the feeling you get a bit 'tetchy' when people do things differently to you...

I'm always happy for other people and there methods, this is my method and is done safely and successfully each time, I would never stand on a conservatory that doesn't have a solid steel 'skeleton'

I also sometimes use boards if needs be, and other than that I use a ladder leaning up against the conny, I am fully aware of what I do smurf, so just be happy! /emoticons/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking about on conservatory roofs in my book is an unsafe practice even when you have been trained by a fellow cleaner.

It's down to the individual what they do but what seems common working practice for some is not the same thing as good working practice by most surely?

Should you ever slip and fall you will be the only one that is blamed for failing to do a risk assessment properly when other safer options could have been used.

You don't see this lot walking about on the roofs now do you

/emoticons/biggrin.png

[media]

[/media]

Back