Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roof Cleaning - should I or shouldn't I?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ched999uk

Long story but I have a gutter empty and gsf clean to do on a largish bungalow - via a recommendation from an existing customer.
After she called to accept my quote she asked if I do roof moss removal. I have only done my own bungalow roof with scraper then hypo before we had solar panels fitted.
I have a DIY scaffold tower and the roof scrapers. The job is flat tiles and quite mossy on 2 sides. Using Google I estimate it to be about 136sqm although 1 and a half sides don't look bad.

After I have carried out the gutter and gsf job I am wondering if I should quote for the moss removal and either biocide or hypo treatment. Looking round it seems like £10 to £12 a sqm is the going rate.
I was thinking maybe go in at £8 a sqm and treat it as a learning experience. Maybe do it over a few days over 2 weeks to allow me to recover :)

They question is should I quote for it or should I just stay clean of roof cleans?
Any thoughts?

Well, my immediate reaction is go for it - as long as you're up for it and are going to earn some decent money out of it.
Obviously you don't want it getting in the way of your regular work, but if there's room in the working week then fill it up. It's another string in your bow and it's going to make you money - and there's always a first time for everything for everyone.
Earn and learn.

Here is an image of the roof, it does look like someone has already cleaned 1 and a half sides of it! Think I will see how I get on with the customer doing the gutters and gfs job.
Roof.png

Long story but I have a gutter empty and gsf clean to do on a largish bungalow - via a recommendation from an existing customer.
After she called to accept my quote she asked if I do roof moss removal. I have only done my own bungalow roof with scraper then hypo before we had solar panels fitted.
I have a DIY scaffold tower and the roof scrapers. The job is flat tiles and quite mossy on 2 sides. Using Google I estimate it to be about 136sqm although 1 and a half sides don't look bad.

After I have carried out the gutter and gsf job I am wondering if I should quote for the moss removal and either biocide or hypo treatment. Looking round it seems like £10 to £12 a sqm is the going rate.
I was thinking maybe go in at £8 a sqm and treat it as a learning experience. Maybe do it over a few days over 2 weeks to allow me to recover :)

They question is should I quote for it or should I just stay clean of roof cleans?
Any thoughts?
Scrape what needs scraping then hypo or bio the whole roof so it will all look the same . Price wise it’s up to you but a @K in Kent says if you have time it’s getting paid to learn personally wouldn’t do any roof like that for less than 1:2 k material costs will probably be in the region of £200+ scraper blade , hypo or bio.

Last edited:
@ched999uk Do you watch Sid Partridge on YouTube? His channel has loads on roof cleaning (he started with a ladder and an aluminium pole). Definitely worth checking out because his early videos he's working just by himself as a one man band. Best of luck with this mate ?

Back