Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First day a lot learnt...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just drive or reverse on and  block the path. You need to work out ways to get jobs done
I agree with this, apart from today I get back home and there is another bloody windy parked right across my drive and loads of parking in the street, he was like I always just park there.

yesterday my wife was home and had to stop another window cleaner cleaning our windows because he had no idea new owners were in, I told her she should have waited till he finished then stopped him ?

I think maybe where I was trying to do a good job I probably went into restoring them instead... 
Don't worry about going overboard to begin with.  I see all my work as an advert.  When friends and neighbours see how clean they are it looks good for you.  It's better to over clean them than under-clean them, it's not a race to see how fast you can work.  Quality first, speed later.

I spend ages doing first cleans, that's your chance to gain the customers trust.  Once they trust you will do a great job they won't try and spot bits that you have missed.  It's impossible to be perfect all the time, but trying to be perfect the first time sets you off on a good footing with the customer.

Definitely price higher though.  No freebies, you're in business charge right at the beginning.  There is enough work out there to not have to resort to freebies.

Once you get a bit of experience you will be a lot quicker we allow 2-3 times longer on really bad first cleans , but for an avarage 3 bed modern semi I recon it would take 15-25 muinits , we spray all the windows and glass with a 10-1 virosol mix good scrub and rinse job done . 

We charge double for first cleans unless they are existing customers or families of the same . 

Don't worry about going overboard to begin with.  I see all my work as an advert.  When friends and neighbours see how clean they are it looks good for you.  It's better to over clean them than under-clean them, it's not a race to see how fast you can work.  Quality first, speed later.

I spend ages doing first cleans, that's your chance to gain the customers trust.  Once they trust you will do a great job they won't try and spot bits that you have missed.  It's impossible to be perfect all the time, but trying to be perfect the first time sets you off on a good footing with the customer.

Definitely price higher though.  No freebies, you're in business charge right at the beginning.  There is enough work out there to not have to resort to freebies.
I think I was trying my best to get them to a restored position and to maintain from there. I spent on average 10 minutes per window which now I think of it was quite a lot... i made a mistake but I have learnt the difference between cleaning and restoring and I know how long it’ll take me to restore 12 ground floor windows (roughly) ??

thanks for the nice comments ?

We charge double for first cleans unless they are existing customers or families of the same . 
Just to pick up on this, I also charge double for a first clean, however if they have already had a window cleaner until very recent then I will just charge a normal clean.  

Take today for instance I had a job where the customer just got rid of the last window cleaner because she didn't like his work, however the house is only 1 year old and the windows looked clean before I started, the frames just very light dust what you would expect after not being cleaned for 4 weeks.  So I charged normal price as double wasn't justified.

I also go easier on family from family recommendations, instead of double I usually charge around 50 percent extra.  Reason being is you already have some sort of history / connection with the current family you clean for, so you know that there is less chance of them just wanting a one off. 

Where I am am that’s the sort of thing that is straight onto the local buy and sell pages.... people need reaction and they know they know they’ll get mass reaction too it 
I'd aim for better areas. Away from the fb, Love Island set. Outlying smaller towns, villages and hamlets, if there are any in your area. You might have a better chance of securing work where you have a bit more elbow and parking room and a better type of customer. I understand of course that there might not be any suitable local areas, especially for those guys living in the bigger, former industrial cities and towns.

I'll give an example of what I mean. Today my son and I went to our furthest job (13 miles). We've been doing just the one house in a very small village for a couple of years.

No one else in the village showed any interest in our service, until today. There were a couple of young mothers walking with small children as we did that one regular house. One lady doubled back and asked for a quote. A couple of minutes later another one asked as well.

We quoted and got both on an 8 weekly maintenance schedule. By far the majority of our work is 6 weekly but because of the distance and as we were initially going all that way for just one house we made it 8 weekly to tie in with some of our big houses on the way. We did both houses while we were there (Striking while the iron was hot). They were delighted as they had been unable to get a regular, reliable service because of their relative remoteness from the nearest towns. Time will tell whether we'll keep them, but we're quietly optimistic.

As we were doing the second new one her next door neighbour asked for a quote. His windows were filthy so we charged a fairly high price for the first wash. When we were finished his wife came out, nit picking and told us they hadn't been cleaned for 8 years. She told us there were two more windows only visible and accessible from the other side neighbour's back garden. She asked her neighbour for access permission and we did them included in the price but we didn't like the self important attitude of the customer, so we'll see how it goes. It will all unfold next time we're due out there. Any cheek and we'll drop her in a heartbeat.

As we worked our way back to base we were doing two houses in a small estate in the town and got another walk up recruit for a small front only, 6 weekly.

It's very rare for us to recruit more than one or two in the same day but, like today, It happens occasionally.

Moral of the story is: If it ain't good where you am?, try and find somewhere not too far away where you can make it happen if at all possible.

Best of luck. ?

Just to pick up on this, I also charge double for a first clean, however if they have already had a window cleaner until very recent then I will just charge a normal clean.  

Take today for instance I had a job where the customer just got rid of the last window cleaner because she didn't like his work, however the house is only 1 year old and the windows looked clean before I started, the frames just very light dust what you would expect after not being cleaned for 4 weeks.  So I charged normal price as double wasn't justified.

I also go easier on family from family recommendations, instead of double I usually charge around 50 percent extra.  Reason being is you already have some sort of history / connection with the current family you clean for, so you know that there is less chance of them just wanting a one off. 
Yes I should have been more specific in my reply , if they are clean windows and not happy with currant cleaner then we would do them for the normal price , unless I thought they are after a one off clean or end of tenancy clean then it’s double .if the frames are green then it’s double price . 

I'd aim for better areas. Away from the fb, Love Island set. Outlying smaller towns, villages and hamlets, if there are any in your area. You might have a better chance of securing work where you have a bit more elbow and parking room and a better type of customer. I understand of course that there might not be any suitable local areas, especially for those guys living in the bigger, former industrial cities and towns.

I'll give an example of what I mean. Today my son and I went to our furthest job (13 miles). We've been doing just the one house in a very small village for a couple of years.

No one else in the village showed any interest in our service, until today. There were a couple of young mothers walking with small children as we did that one regular house. One lady doubled back and asked for a quote. A couple of minutes later another one asked as well.

We quoted and got both on an 8 weekly maintenance schedule. By far the majority of our work is 6 weekly but because of the distance and as we were initially going all that way for just one house we made it 8 weekly to tie in with some of our big houses on the way. We did both houses while we were there (Striking while the iron was hot). They were delighted as they had been unable to get a regular, reliable service because of their relative remoteness from the nearest towns. Time will tell whether we'll keep them, but we're quietly optimistic.

As we were doing the second new one her next door neighbour asked for a quote. His windows were filthy so we charged a fairly high price for the first wash. When we were finished his wife came out, nit picking and told us they hadn't been cleaned for 8 years. She told us there were two more windows only visible and accessible from the other side neighbour's back garden. She asked her neighbour for access permission and we did them included in the price but we didn't like the self important attitude of the customer, so we'll see how it goes. It will all unfold next time we're due out there. Any cheek and we'll drop her in a heartbeat.

As we worked our way back to base we were doing two houses in a small estate in the town and got another walk up recruit for a small front only, 6 weekly.

It's very rare for us to recruit more than one or two in the same day but, like today, It happens occasionally.

Moral of the story is: If it ain't good where you am?, try and find somewhere not too far away where you can make it happen if at all possible.

Best of luck. ?
Thanks for that insight Davey, I can imagine its a nice day when you get some more work just walk up to you haha

Thanks for that insight Davey, I can imagine its a nice day when you get some more work just walk up to you haha
You will get walk ups just give it time , we have recently bought a new gutter vac it’s powerd by a honda engine , and have to say it is noisy drives me nuts , but the noise has worked to our advantage as all the neighbors hear it and come out to see what’s going on our walk up rates for gutter vaccing have increased quite dramatically. Once ones see what you are doing and the quality of the clean they will approach you , if you have a van get it sign written it will be the best £300-400 you will ever spend 

Yes I should have been more specific in my reply , if they are clean windows and not happy with currant cleaner then we would do them for the normal price , unless I thought they are after a one off clean or end of tenancy clean then it’s double .if the frames are green then it’s double price . 
Just as another contribution to the discussion. I don't think I've ever quoted double for a first clean. I've never had the confidence that we'd get it and the subsequent maintenance cleans☺️. Our normal is plus 50% or, if we feel it's jobs we'd really like to get, and feel they genuinely want a regular service, such as the first two today, we might not charge any extra at all. I admire the courage of those of you do charge double. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a contribution to the discussion. I don't think I've ever quoted double for a first clean. I've never had the confidence that we'd get it and the subsequent maintenance cleans☺️. Our normal is plus 50% or, if we feel it's jobs we'd really like to get, and feel they genuinely want a regular service, such as the first two today, we might not charge any extra at all. ??
I think you have answered your own question “ never had the confidence to charge double “ , I was the same for years , but if you don t ask you don’t get , most genuine people will understand if the windows are green that they will need a lot more time and effort to get them looking good and are happy to pay more I have never had anyone complain  when we have done them , some won’t pay the extra but from experience they will be the problem non or slow paying , leave it this time type of customer who I don’t want anyway , I only started charging double after a friend whose a window cleaner said he did it . Try it and see how you get on explaine  why first clean is more , they can only say no ??? like all jobs not everyone will accept it but most will .

I cant fault your logic?. But I really don't think we'd have got the two young mums today if we'd quoted double the good maintenance price we quoted today. They were straight forward and will be quick and easy to maintain. We've been travelling that distance for just one job for a couple of years. Now hopefully we'll be going that distance for at least three. I'd rather not get quite as much as possible for a first wash in preference for securing long term work that might well lead to more long term work with the new customer's social circle. Even a difference of £10 for a first wash is small fry to securing long term work and setting further seeds. I trust my very reliable gut feelings. ?

I cant fault your logic?. But I really don't think we'd have got the two young mums today if we'd quoted double the good maintenance price we quoted today. They were straight forward and will be quick and easy to maintain. We've been travelling that distance for just one job for a couple of years. Now hopefully we'll be going that distance for at least three. I'd rather not get quite as much as possible for a first wash in preference for securing long term work that might well lead to more long term work with the new customer's social circle. Even a difference of £10 for a first wash is small fry to securing long term work and setting further seeds. I trust my very reliable gut feelings. ?
I hear what you are saying it’s a personal thing , we don’t  need anymore work so I can afford it do it  if I dont get the job Ime not worried , having said that 90% are fine with it ,it’s the potential problem customers that won’t pay it from my experience, we picked up one job on a old council house estate regular price would be £15  first clean £30 I didn’t want to do the job as it’s a very run down area , people were fine said do it , we now do 12 houses in a row , I couldn’t believe they would pay that but all did and are all regular customers now . ??? happy days 

Yeah, we have found now that we're doing what was once a full eight hours work in five or six hours so we're happy to try and increase numbers. I like a challenge within reason and we especially like to be able to gain customers that are in the same immediate area. ??

I've gone with what PJJ has said from early on.  I started with 50 percent but then last year I decided to double the price.  I actually got less resistance from doubling the price than I did from 50 percent.  I think the problem is when you say the first clean takes longer, well they understand that and most even say that they expect it will be a bit more, but when you say it will be £30 on the first and then £20 every 4 weeks, well I think it doesn't sound like a good offer, like they could leave it for a year and it would still only be £10 more than a regular clean.  But when you say it's £40 for the first and then £20 every 4 weeks it just sounds better, like there is a big discount for getting them done regular.  

It is true though what PJJ says, all the customers I'm getting stick with me.  It's hard work but they're not sloping off claiming hardship.  I think the ones that genuinely want a window cleaner and a good one are happy to pay double.

It is like you say a confidence thing, it's how you say it.  When I first started doubling the price I felt uneasy about it and admittedly I switched between 50 percent and doubling for a couple of months, but then I noticed I got more of the quotes with double the first clean price, so I started doubling them all.  I don't think twice about it now, did one yesterday  £30 first clean then  £15 thereafter, only a bungalow very straight forward.

Try it, quote 10 jobs at double then do 10 at whatever you feel is right.  I tell you, when you're getting double it makes them first cleans a little more rewarding, less cleaning with gritted teeth, lol.

I might triple mine, then I can claim to be the most expensive window cleaner in Britain, lol... until PJJ quadruples his ?

You will get walk ups just give it time , we have recently bought a new gutter vac it’s powerd by a honda engine , and have to say it is noisy drives me nuts , but the noise has worked to our advantage as all the neighbors hear it and come out to see what’s going on our walk up rates for gutter vaccing have increased quite dramatically. Once ones see what you are doing and the quality of the clean they will approach you , if you have a van get it sign written it will be the best £300-400 you will ever spend 
I've had a couple of walk ups while setting my van up, happy days.

I didnt fancy full sign written van, I got 5 magnetic signs done. £180. I just take them off n take van through the  car wash at local Tesco.

I didnt fancy full sign written van, I got 5 magnetic signs done. £180. I just take them off n take van through the  car wash at local Tesco.
Where did you get your signs done?  Something I've been meaning to do for a long time.  I looked at the vistaprint ones but they didn't look that great.

Would be good to know where you got the signs, it’ll be good whilst I’m setting up to have these on the side ?

I'm only a couple months further on than you, and jobs are taking longer that expected because i'm still learning and like you want to make a good first impression clean.

majority have also been first cleans. I did one on Saturday a 3 bedroom 2 storey L shaped house. I quoted £25 over the phone. He did say when i turned up they hadn't been cleaned since he moved in around July. I still went with the £25. And i was on the job 1hr30 mins! if i'd have had the courage i should have said it will be £35 because they are in poor condition. but because the phone isn't ringing off the hook i didn't change the price..

I did take a photo of one of the sills.

20210123_105421.jpg

I'm only a couple months further on than you, and jobs are taking longer that expected because i'm still learning and like you want to make a good first impression clean.

majority have also been first cleans. I did one on Saturday a 3 bedroom 2 storey L shaped house. I quoted £25 over the phone. He did say when i turned up they hadn't been cleaned since he moved in around July. I still went with the £25. And i was on the job 1hr30 mins! if i'd have had the courage i should have said it will be £35 because they are in poor condition. but because the phone isn't ringing off the hook i didn't change the price..

I did take a photo of one of the sills.

View attachment 23171
You're learning and earning, once you know the job you'll gain the confidence to charge more.

Latest Posts

Back