Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First time clean and first job ever for me…any advice?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

How times change. ? In the early days window cleaners used bicycles. When we started virtually every window cleaner used the family car with a pair of roof racks to carry the leaders.
Today, we all need a van.
Health and safety wasn’t really a thing back then though was it. I imagine the hospital admissions of window cleaners were a lot higher back in the good old days of ladders on bikes/roof racks.

Health and safety wasn’t really a thing back then though was it. I imagine the hospital admissions of window cleaners were a lot higher back in the good old days of ladders on bikes/roof racks.
The reality for me is that if I still used ladders, I probably wouldn't be alive today. I fell once, landed on soft lawn and got away with serious injury. I doubt I would be as fortunate a second time.

My advice to your @JustLiam is what has already been said.

Practice, practice and practice again cleaning your own windows, even if you clean them 100 times. Practice helps you gain a smooth window cleaning action and gives the customer confidence that you are a professional window cleaner, even if you don't have much experience.

When we were getting wfp off the ground, we sometimes made excuses for a not so good first clean. "Your windows could take 2 or 3 cleans before they come up perfect" was the story a windie told who was using none purified tap water to clean windows with. Thankfully, he has gone, but he gave wfp a bad name in our area. We only leave a first clean once we have confirmed that the clean is 100%. In winter, it sometimes meant that we went to another job close by to give the windows time to dry off, come back, check and titivate where needed before we asked for payment.

First cleans are going to take you ages and you will use much more water. That's part of the game. Time spent on each new clean today will be rewarded in the future. We still estimate a new clean can take 2 to 3 times longer than it will 3 or 4 months down the line.

It might be a bit early but @Mx19 has a round for sale near you here: Rounds for sale - Fleet/Ash/Farnham/Farnborough Might be worth having a chat with him?
I use to live in Ash about 18 years ago, went through Aldershot each day as I worked in Farnborough.
Interesting.
It’s a decent round to be fair, one of my favourite days, well worth it if you’re looking to buy @JustLiam otherwise it’s one I won’t mind commuting for for a while longer!!
i am interested. What sort of deal is it?

First time clean and first job ever for me…any advice? I use the BigBoy Back pack with pole.
Sure should have experience soon be getting complaints especially with poles window cleaning sounds easy but it's not its very tiren health and safety haven't made poles compulsory your best bet is ladder less drips rub cloth round side of window hope for best good luck you whill need it definitely get a helper with experience give him 25 percent òf money you don't say how many houses or any thing behond its an adventure watch out for poachers and moaners indents on grass whill set moaners off ?

I’m starting out in my car currently and I feel funny about it. I’ve ended up buying and fixing down a waterworks manual hose reel with 100m 6mm hose in the boot so it looks more professional. I’m also using a facelift pump box and barrels. I actually mentioned to one of my new self canvassed customers that I only had a car and she said who cares what you come in. Gave me a little boost of confidence! Good luck!

I’m starting out in my car currently and I feel funny about it. I’ve ended up buying and fixing down a waterworks manual hose reel with 100m 6mm hose in the boot so it looks more professional. I’m also using a facelift pump box and barrels. I actually mentioned to one of my new self canvassed customers that I only had a car and she said who cares what you come in. Gave me a little boost of confidence! Good luck!
Twenty years ago nearly all domestic window cleaners worked from their cars, with a ladder on their roof rack and bucket and scrims in the boot.

However, whilst it's a good start, you will soon find that it's not ideal wfp. There are one of two on here who do work from an estate, but the majority who started off this way end up with a van mount.

Spilt water is a problem using a car, especially in winter as the inside of the car doesn't dry out and starts to smell, which I find isn't very unpleasant.

There is a local lad we know who has a trailer, but the car he uses to pull it is a dedicated work car.

We started wfp with a trailer as well with 3 fixed 150 litre tanks secured to it. I pulled it with my Suzuki Carry van with an additional 100 litres of water in the back. It did me on my own for around 3 years before I bought a 51 plate Citroen Relay van and fitted a 650 liter tank for two operators.

Sure should have experience soon be getting complaints especially with poles window cleaning sounds easy but it's not its very tiren health and safety haven't made poles compulsory your best bet is ladder less drips rub cloth round side of window hope for best good luck you whill need it definitely get a helper with experience give him 25 percent òf money you don't say how many houses or any thing behond its an adventure watch out for poachers and moaners indents on grass whill set moaners off ?
???

As long as you are doing a good job then don't worry at the moment. If you can gain enough customers and are happy doing the work you can always buy a van later.
I started out in my car, I didn't mention to any customers how I was arriving at their house, just I would be using wfp etc. I used to park a little away when going to quote so it wasn't obvious I was using my car.
I do now have a van and it does feel a lot more professional, it's significantly faster and I do get a few walkups or calls from people seeing my sign written van.

Bottom line is as long as you are doing a good job most people won't care what mode of transport you are using but don't price low as you are using your car. Your prices should be related to how good a job you are doing not what vehicle you are driving.

As long as you are doing a good job then don't worry at the moment. If you can gain enough customers and are happy doing the work you can always buy a van later.
I started out in my car, I didn't mention to any customers how I was arriving at their house, just I would be using wfp etc. I used to park a little away when going to quote so it wasn't obvious I was using my car.
I do now have a van and it does feel a lot more professional, it's significantly faster and I do get a few walkups or calls from people seeing my sign written van.

Bottom line is as long as you are doing a good job most people won't care what mode of transport you are using but don't price low as you are using your car. Your prices should be related to how good a job you are doing not what vehicle you are driving.

Having used a van mounted setup with electric hose reels etc I wanted it to be as close to that experience as I can. Other than having barrels and a manual hose reel I’ve managed to setup the same setup really. I’ve got a mounted waterworks manual hose reel with facelift pump box and SLX 27 pole. I’ve even got the pump taking water from two barrels at once so I don’t need to change it whilst at a house, no matter the size ??.

I’ve been pricing jobs probably a little more than most tbh, only because I want to set my customer base up in a correct way that I don’t feel I’ve under priced etc.

I might even sign write my car up ?

I know how you feel because that’s how I used to feel, that is until is started taking customers off well established guys with full van set-ups because basically they were basically doing a **** job. So it doesn’t really matter what you rock up in, just as long as you do a quality consistent job.

I know how you feel because that’s how I used to feel, that is until is started taking customers off well established guys with full van set-ups because basically they were basically doing a **** job. So it doesn’t really matter what you rock up in, just as long as you do a quality consistent job.
Thanks for the reply, today was my first day out in the car, doing my own work. I actually got a possible new job whilst doing one today. She wasn’t bothered by the car at all, wants me to pop round and give her a price. What is good though is I earned more money today in 3 hours than I did in a full day whilst employed.

Back