Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Get something semi decent as you rely it for a living.

You could buy an old van for a grand or two and it be perfect or it could cost you a lloadin repairs and breakdowns. Been there done it 

Get something better on finance, you should be able to afford it no problem if you have a good round and it's all tax deductible.

Fair enough, I’m not very good at making water last, I work with my pump on 25/26 and on a average 8hr (£220 day) I would use 400/450L. 
Using 2mm jets uses more water as for pump/controller settings to many variables with systems and hose etc my pump is almost 7 years old and my setting used to be lower years ago. I only use 1mm jets which a id of around 08-09mm https://www.clarketools.net/clarke-pack-of-5-10mm-welding-tips---8132275-591-p.asp these give a more powerful rinse and reduce water usage 

As for the van if you are clueless about motors like me and have a decent budget go to your local https://www.vanmonster.com/en-gb/find-a-branch they give a 6 month warranty as well dealerships etc are lucky to give you 4 weeks https://www.vanmonster.com/en-gb/van-monster-warranty 

I have had my Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo almost 12 weeks now and very pleased with the purchase process and the van overall, They fully check the van out before putting them up for sale,  I went to a Ford dealership to look at a van and they had no clue that side loading was faulty and couldn't be opened and they had being in possession of the van for weeks and personally i found the big ford dealerships on a number of ocassions almost clueless and badly organised 

As for the van if you are clueless about motors like me and have a decent budget go to your local https://www.vanmonster.com/en-gb/find-a-branch they give a 6 month warranty as well dealerships etc are lucky to give you 4 weeks https://www.vanmonster.com/en-gb/van-monster-warranty 

I have had my Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo almost 12 weeks now and very pleased with the purchase process and the van overall, They fully check the van out before putting them up for sale,  I went to a Ford dealership to look at a van and they had no clue that side loading was faulty and couldn't be opened and they had being in possession of the van for weeks and personally i found the big ford dealerships on a number of ocassions almost clueless and badly organised 
Thanks for all the feedback guys I think I have my heart set on the be cadi maxi for 6k it comes with 6 months warranty and 1 yer breakdown cover, my budget is 10k so will be able to get a decent system in there too

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the feedback guys I think I have my heart set on the be cadi maxi for 6k it comes with 6 months warranty and 1 yer breakdown cover, my budget is 10k so will be able to get a decent system in there too

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Yeh definitely, a few quid left over my a ‘short back & sides’ I would say....

As i said my Caddy Maxi was all in £3,900.

•The tank & frame was £440. 

•Protekta Coat=£100ish

•Gardiner pump & controller= £200ish

•Grippatank hose reel=£200ish

•Gardiner Poles (look them up)

•Then my 600gpd R.O & Di & 1000L storage tank = £500ish

Then I got sign writing £250

Roof rack £80

Primark boxer shorts £5

Blah blah blah

•Protekta Coat=£100ish

Roof rack £80

Primark boxer shorts £5

Blah blah blah
Have you got a link to the boxer shorts? ?

•Protekta Coat=£100ish

Roof rack £80

Primark boxer shorts £5

Blah blah blah
Just seen this thread here. I started own thread in WFP section about me thinking of getting small like likes of Caddy PV, Caddy Maxi or Transit Connect. I wasn't sure if my slx27 would fit in Caddy PV. I would be looking for 300/325/350L tank system as as carrying small ladder and trad gear. How is the Maxi for space with poles and tank?

Just seen this thread here. I started own thread in WFP section about me thinking of getting small like likes of Caddy PV, Caddy Maxi or Transit Connect. I wasn't sure if my slx27 would fit in Caddy PV. I would be looking for 300/325/350L tank system as as carrying small ladder and trad gear. How is the Maxi for space with poles and tank?
I have the Maxi, which is about a foot longer (i think) than the usual caddy. I can fit my Slx25 in straight, with 6 inch’s spare or. Space wise yeh I have 500L tank, and have had two reels side by side as well before.

The van is a personal choice thing..  For me I've always gone with Renault Trafic vans (Vivaros re-badged) as they have fully galvanised bodies with 10 year anti corrosion warranties.  Never had an issue with one but they do eat tyres.  

As for tank size remember, you can put 350-400 litres in a 500L tank but you cant put 500 litres in a 350 litre tank.  Consideration for you as you expand.  

People will almost always defend the van they have and the system they have as no one wants to feel embarrassed that perhaps they didn't make the optimum choice at the time.  

I like those new caddies but I also like the shed load of space left a full size van offers for wifes weekends at the car boot sale, shopping for my gardening bits etc.   

So I carry a 500L tank, steel frame, hose reel, two pumps, 2 controllers, 3 poles. Backpack, fold up small ladders. Big ladder on top. Got enough room for my gutter vac down the side when I need it.

I am just under the weight limit. Enough space for 2nd hose reel, but with 2 person you want to watch the weight. 

View attachment 13556
Thanks for the info you gave and picture. im looking for a vw caddy maxi also. always wondered what the back looked like setup. its a shame the 500 litre tank doesnt fit sideways against the bulkhead. maybe some do more upright tanks. Th blue put me of these vans as people prob mistake for british gas but mainly i find it hard to do a decent sign writing design on this colour. theyre about 6500 from 40-70000 miles. all so far away from me.

Thanks for the info you gave and picture. im looking for a vw caddy maxi also. always wondered what the back looked like setup. its a shame the 500 litre tank doesnt fit sideways against the bulkhead. maybe some do more upright tanks. Th blue put me of these vans as people prob mistake for british gas but mainly i find it hard to do a decent sign writing design on this colour. theyre about 6500 from 40-70000 miles. all so far away from me.
It does fit side ways, just. My mate had a standard caddy, he had it side ways. I prefer long ways (just preference) can fit my back pack & gutter vac on the left, fold up ladders on right side. Still enough room for two reels in front. 

And yeh regarding the ex British Gas, well for me I love blue, so instantly wanted it. I got mine sign written (think was £350/£400ish) for bonnet, sides & back, now you can instantly tell it’s a window cleaning van instead of ex British Gas 

It does fit side ways, just. My mate had a standard caddy, he had it side ways. I prefer long ways (just preference) can fit my back pack & gutter vac on the left, fold up ladders on right side. Still enough room for two reels in front. 

And yeh regarding the ex British Gas, well for me I love blue, so instantly wanted it. I got mine sign written (think was £350/£400ish) for bonnet, sides & back, now you can instantly tell it’s a window cleaning van instead of ex British Gas 
i just got ex British gas van. vw caddy 1.6 like yours. was either that or Peugeot expert. love the van, just got to get it fitted out now. downside is the caddy payload is only 734kg and quite narrow. going to get 500 tank but would very rarely fill to top only on big commercial jobs as i would be close to overloading. 

i just got ex British gas van. vw caddy 1.6 like yours. was either that or Peugeot expert. love the van, just got to get it fitted out now. downside is the caddy payload is only 734kg and quite narrow. going to get 500 tank but would very rarely fill to top only on big commercial jobs as i would be close to overloading. 
Ah excellent! Well done mate.

yeh lovely vans. What price did you get if you don’t mind me asking? Yeh 734kg is a bit restrictive but not too bad, I’m similar, with the 1.9 I only get 800kg. Can’t really take a passenger with a van load full. 

i couldnt find any 1.9 on autotrader, well i did but they done lot of miles.  got it for £5,600, 61 plate,  done 50,000 miles, sat nav, parking sensors, ac, bit of wooden shelving either side. van is like new but getting cambelt done next week as its 7 years old which costing me around 450. a lot ? . oh and came with a decent roof rack too

its only 1.6 but its tdi 105 bhp so im hoping it will go ok with the weight, most time i will carry 300-400 around town, will find out soon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back