Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Black window seals

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Belfastcleaning

I have a good few houses that the rubber seals make the frames all black, destroy the scrims too..

If I started doing these wfp, would the black stuff leave marks over the glass or leave run marks?

I brought this up about a month ago. There is a thread for this somewhere but don't know how to get it up. I had the same trouble.

Put in black rubber marks on the search & it will come up

Can't answer your question, but I think the rubber perishes, I do trad, and when am detailing I get black marks all over the scrims

when you trad on certain you get a black mark from the perished rubbers and it looks horrible but when you wfp you will not get this any more

It is to do with the rubber oxidising over time due to an exposure to light. Google that for a bit more info, but there really isn't anything you can do, other than to advise the customer about it and how it may affect the cleaning.

There is one house that is really bad, each time I'm back it looks like the rain had made all the frames black.. When scrimming it puts black lines all over the place. Sometimes feel like just not going back lol

I have stopped a new clean half way through and refused to finish it because of this in the past, only once though. Think the guy was at it, he new there was a problem with them, and didn't tell me. Because he was all nice, but the second I said I am going to have to leave them, I wont charge you for what I have did, but I cant complete them, he started to get a bit irate, "what I am I supposed to do about the rest of them then", "err, no offence, but I am not charging you a penny here, so its really not my problem, they cant be cleaned".

ive got a couple like this ive got an old scrim i use for them i just wrap the scrim round one finger then run it straight down the seal and it seems to detail the window ok without getting black stuff everywere

I did talk about this a couple of months ago as was getting the same thing. Someone suggested don't go right to the edge with yer applicator. I tried this & it cut it down a hell of a lot. I basically was detailing a dry edge which was ok & never left any marks (I used a microfiber) and hardly got any black marks. Took a bit longer as careful to go about 1cm from the edge but looked miles better.

I have this problem on some jobs.

If black marks are left, I don't bother wiping up.

IF (big if) a customer complains, I say that they're clean,just not white.

My reason to come here is not any problem regarding windows. It is very different from what other visitors have come here. Actually, when I read the topic, I read it as 'Black Widow', it is a character in the recent Blockbuster hit film The Avengers, I guess I miss understood the ***le of topic.

You can get away with out having to detail a window on windows with bad rubbers... just wet the window but leave a 1/2 gap around the edge.. Then when you squeegie go to the edge or a few mill off .. Practice and you will get it...

You can get away with out having to detail a window on windows with bad rubbers... just wet the window but leave a 1/2 gap around the edge.. Then when you squeegie go to the edge or a few mill off .. Practice and you will get it...
I do that on most windows anyway.. But you always will soak the bottom.. Also it dosent feel complete until you wipe the edges?

Latest Posts

Back