Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gaining commercial customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’d love a few commercial jobs a month, nothing massive, but would be cool to do £50-£100 early one day a week before the domestic day starts.

But nothing good ever happens to me (violins please) so I can just throw that idea in the bin. 

In fact, as the old saying goes, if I fell into a barrel full of boobs, I’d come out sucking my own thumb! 

I don’t quite understand commercial pricing though, some say it’s ok, they just do it to fill up a early morning or a rainy day. Where some say “I wouldn’t clean that for less than £90 a hour you idiot!!”

I’ve priced 6/7 different commercial jobs here in Bournemouth, done two one offs of them. One was a little under priced, was a shop front with 3D signage, said £18 thinking it’ll take 30 mins (I was still using back packs and was slow at the time) took a hour unfortunately.

The other one was a fascia & gutter clean on a pub which was well priced. My best morning to date probably. I then quoted £12 a week for the ongoing external windows. He umm’d & urrr’d then said he’ll think about it. Texted him a week later and he said no it’s ok it’s sorted now. Strange. Oh well.

The problem we have in this country is all the kids are educated with the internet. Old generation not up to speed with the net and like to plod along. Why work on a building site or outside in all weathers if you can get an office job working a computer. That's why all the poles are over here working on the sites. Funny thing is happening to my mum at the moment. She is getting her house clad with insulation and she keeps trying to talk with the workers and they all say, me no talk English. I think I will need to try that every time she asks me questions. If one is paying their employee the minimum wage then it shows that you don't respect them and you will have a high turnover of staff.

In all seriousness a lot of it is who you know, being in the right place at the right time and don’t be fooled into thinking that free cleans for MD houses doesn’t count etc. 

With the increase this year and late last year I’m having a van just for commercial work

and will be sign written to that effect. Im not a 100% set on it but being doing my figures and it should be doable/ROI etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the bulk of my commercial window cleaning (offices) on the back of a customers daughter who fancied me. A real minger too. She worked for a large motor company and she got me the job. They have 5 plots within a 8mile radius that I do also. From that I got another large motor company next door when it opened, and also got all their yearly gutter cleans for a handsome sum. 

Ive looked after these for 17 years now, and have been my ‘bills paid’ bread & butter money in that time. If I had them all lined up together nicely, I reckon I could to them all in 2 days easily.  So they are very handy to have - especially as you can literally start as early as you want. 

A lot just down to luck like this.

I owe a lot to that ugly girl that fell for a super-stud Prince! 

Back