Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner Back Pack

WCF

Help Support WCF:

yes def replace the battery on the trolley.

I havent found a problem with rinsing with the backpack, I think its been a bit more flow or blast than Ive been using on the van mount controller. I could turn  up, but it seems to be good enough.  I use the one stop but thinking how handy the new one with the flow control on it would be. 
Oh yes, you can turn the flow up but ideally you want a low flow rate for washing and a faster flow for rinsing. You can empty that BP fast with a higher flow rate on permanently.

Gardiners BP is a great bit of kit. I got one as my entry level kit into the world of WC however it really has been brilliant to me - clearly well researched and designed. Battery holds out well too.

Only downsides are how quick it can empty on higher flow rates. I've seen some on here say they use it on full flow for every job and can do several houses on one fill. They either move like grease lightening without getting everything else done (sills, frames etc) or they're just speaking an untruth. It just isn't possible. I can get an entire house done on one fill at a slower speed but turn it up and you notice the thing empty itself a lot quicker. The higher flow rate is good for conservatories though when rinsing - makes large panes a doddle at the cost of water in the tank. I reckon the fan jets will make that situation better but not tried them myself.

Refilling can be a pain though, 25L barrels are heavy! I have one custy who lives with double yellow lines outside her house so i have to unload 3 barrels as her house is massive. Even then i dump them at the front of the house and when needed, disconnect the hose from the trolley and take the trolley to the barrels. If you got a van / tank alreadyit would be easier to install a hose and a petrol pump handle to refill your BP.

Only downside is it needs a remote control version of the control panel - variable flow and fixed full speed flow plus on/ off. Trundling back to the trolley between windows is a pain and I'm not fitting a univalve in order to shock-stop my pump and gradually destroy it. I've got the electronics gear to do a remote i just lack the motivation..

Gardiners BP is a great bit of kit. I got one as my entry level kit into the world of WC however it really has been brilliant to me - clearly well researched and designed. Battery holds out well too.

Only downsides are how quick it can empty on higher flow rates. I've seen some on here say they use it on full flow for every job and can do several houses on one fill. They either move like grease lightening without getting everything else done (sills, frames etc) or they're just speaking an untruth. It just isn't possible. I can get an entire house done on one fill at a slower speed but turn it up and you notice the thing empty itself a lot quicker. The higher flow rate is good for conservatories though when rinsing - makes large panes a doddle at the cost of water in the tank. I reckon the fan jets will make that situation better but not tried them myself.

Refilling can be a pain though, 25L barrels are heavy! I have one custy who lives with double yellow lines outside her house so i have to unload 3 barrels as her house is massive. Even then i dump them at the front of the house and when needed, disconnect the hose from the trolley and take the trolley to the barrels. If you got a van / tank alreadyit would be easier to install a hose and a petrol pump handle to refill your BP.

Only downside is it needs a remote control version of the control panel - variable flow and fixed full speed flow plus on/ off. Trundling back to the trolley between windows is a pain and I'm not fitting a univalve in order to shock-stop my pump and gradually destroy it. I've got the electronics gear to do a remote i just lack the motivation..
The thought of doing my round with a backpack sends shudders through me. Get yourself sorted with a van mount and you’ll look back and wonder how you coped without it. Good luck 

@Tango "Only downsides are how quick it can empty on higher flow rates. I've seen some on here say they use it on full flow for every job and can do several houses on one fill

I think you have been on Fb too much, I don't think anyone on here has said they can clean 7 houses with 21 litres of water, You just need to get out there and crack on and take whatever work comes your way, you have been negative about not having enough work, then you won't take on add on jobs or terraced houses 

The only person who could clean a window with a thimble full of water was/is Jeff Brimble. But he only cleans glass, he doesn't touch the frames. Personally, cleaning that way isn't 'my cup of tea.' Maybe he can get away with it as he lives in Wales with that county's higher rainfall.

@Tango "Only downsides are how quick it can empty on higher flow rates. I've seen some on here say they use it on full flow for every job and can do several houses on one fill

I think you have been on Fb too much, I don't think anyone on here has said they can clean 7 houses with 21 litres of water, You just need to get out there and crack on and take whatever work comes your way, you have been negative about not having enough work, then you won't take on add on jobs or terraced houses 
I use a gardiner backpack for all my work and fill it from the tank mounted in my van with a bilge pump.

Easier on my work as lots of alleyways etc.

It's all to do with speed due to big brush and high flow.

I clean an average of 2 x 3 bed houses or 1 bigger detached with 1 fill on full flow with 4 x 1mm pencil jets.

I don't understand how some people run out halfway through a small house.

Actually i don't look at any window cleaning groups on facebook but there was a guy here a few weeks back saying he could do loads of houses on one tank. Maybe he was just exagerating or being sarcy.. who knows!

As for terraces, I don't actively knock them but i do still leaflet them. Trouble is round here we're saturated with windys and the established ones are the ones who find it easy to pick up work. I find it quite hard and knocking on someones terraced front door asking to do their windows, trundling through with a dripping wet hose / pole / BP is a bit of a tall order. If they respond to a leaflet fine - i'll do it happily (and have a few as regulars - been to a terraced today for instance). I don't like hauling the BP through a terraced house but by god they're usually so much easier to clean compared to a detached property with awkward windows all over the place.

Only add on i won't do is insides - don't have the gear and don't want the risk of breaking stuff. Garage doors, coony roofs, solar panels etc.. I'll do - unless they're seriously awkward. I've only turned away one job due to that - a conny roof that was trapped between two walls - I genuinely didn't want that.

@steve garwood yes mate i could do with a van setup (along with a SLX - my back is not as strong as i thought!) - trust me i think about it every week but i don't have the income / enough custys to afford it (no way i'll get a loan either)! Right now my dual sim phone has just packed up too leaving me in the proverbial for sending out texts or even doing phone calls... Just as i was starting to get off the ground i'm in that dark place again..

Actually i don't look at any window cleaning groups on facebook but there was a guy here a few weeks back saying he could do loads of houses on one tank. Maybe he was just exagerating or being sarcy.. who knows!

As for terraces, I don't actively knock them but i do still leaflet them. Trouble is round here we're saturated with windys and the established ones are the ones who find it easy to pick up work. I find it quite hard and knocking on someones terraced front door asking to do their windows, trundling through with a dripping wet hose / pole / BP is a bit of a tall order. If they respond to a leaflet fine - i'll do it happily (and have a few as regulars - been to a terraced today for instance). I don't like hauling the BP through a terraced house but by god they're usually so much easier to clean compared to a detached property with awkward windows all over the place.

Only add on i won't do is insides - don't have the gear and don't want the risk of breaking stuff. Garage doors, coony roofs, solar panels etc.. I'll do - unless they're seriously awkward. I've only turned away one job due to that - a conny roof that was trapped between two walls - I genuinely didn't want that.

@steve garwood yes mate i could do with a van setup (along with a SLX - my back is not as strong as i thought!) - trust me i think about it every week but i don't have the income / enough custys to afford it (no way i'll get a loan either)! Right now my dual sim phone has just packed up too leaving me in the proverbial for sending out texts or even doing phone calls... Just as i was starting to get off the ground i'm in that dark place again..

Sorry to hear that but I'm sure the majority of us on here are in the same boat. You can never just get on top of things for long before you get hit with something new.

Then Gardiners come out with some new brushes. ?

A great addition to any wfp set up. If I had to choose one I would go for a van mount just for the simplicity although in practice you won’t notice much difference in time. I love the freedom they can give especially when working as a two man op. 

Back