Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help needed do I need a new membrane

Dabber

Hi

prior to Xmas TDS was at 002.Closed down over Xmas and new year and when I went back to producing water TDS rose to 008.

I had recently changed resin so I changed sediment and carbon filter as well but it's still at 008.Tds at tap is 291 and reduced to 16 after membrane.This means the TDS after the membrane has been reduced by less than 95%.

i have read that if it falls to below 95% I should consider replacing the membrane.The membrane is only ten months old but I'm concerned that it may have been damaged by the cold weather.My system is kept in the garage.

Would greatly appreciate any help

Dabber

My is in the garage as well. I use fleece throws to cover it when it’s cold weather

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I haven’t used anything like that,it didn’t seem that cold in there but it’s my first winter and it’s a steep learning curve.

i also had a 24-48 nour period where I had turned the pump off but had forgotten to turn the water supply off.Just read that lack of pressure could damage the membrane.

Ive emailed my supplier so will wait to see what he says.

cheers

dabber

Unfortunately, all it takes is a little ice forming inside the r/o housing to damage the membrane even although it wasn't enough to break the housing.

I have made a cabinet and all my filtration stuff is in that. It also has a froststat inside with a 120watt tube heater. The froststat is set at 8 degrees. My r/o is also in my garage.

I used to have my old 450gpd under a towel with a 100 watt bulb underneath to keep the frost out. I panicked on several ocassions when the bulb blew.

We live on the North East Coast so don't experience the low temps that those inland do, but we did experience the water in the transfer hose freezing solid during that bad winter of 2011/2012. Hence the cabinet to be sure.

I have flushed the system but has made no difference.

Thanks for all the advice.Will look at protecting the system better.

Still waiting for a reply from the supplier.

cheers

dabber

If your tds after membrane is 16 and 8 after resin then the resin isn't working properly. We have members who have soft water with tds around 70 that only use a DI and get 0ppm. Yes your membrane isn't working properly but your resin is far less efficient than it should be. 

Spoke to my supplier today who thinks the problem is with the resin or seal on the resin cartridge.Going to change the resin this evening and see how we go.

cheers

dabber

I agree with Part a timer. Unless your resin is spent you should always be getting 0 for a while before it slowly creeps up.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

If you do decide to change your membrane, here’s a little tip for the newbies.

Colour code every adjoining tube to its connecting port or membrane, waste or pre filter, you won’t connect it back up wrong!

Also remember to lubricate the black o rings. You can use cooking oil if you have no silicon grease ?

Spoke to my supplier today who thinks the problem is with the resin or seal on the resin cartridge.Going to change the resin this evening and see how we go.

cheers

dabber
The first problem is the membrane. The second problem is the resin.  Fixing the problem with the resin isn't going to solve the problem with the membrane. They are trying to fob you off. They are telling you to take a tablet to stop the pain instead of removing the thorn thats causing the pain.

If the problem wasn't there before the Christmas break but is there after the break, then something has happened during the break. You are worried about the cold so there is a high probability that the cold is responsible for your membrane issue.

If its a prefilter issue (you not changing the carbon block in time) then deterioration of the membrane will occur over a long period of use. So you will gradually see your tds of the pure output before di increase.

You need to fix both things. Replace the membrane and sort the di issue out.

Hi everyone

changed resin and TDS is now down to 002 which is what it normally is when everything seems ok.Membrane appears to be ok,but will take on board the issues of protecting it in cold weather.

I have a hidrotek 100gpd system and my supplier has advised me that with my TDS  readings that I would need to change the resin after 1000litres of production.Im only working 2 days a week max at the moment so that’s not a problem.

One other question,I know that the resin is becoming less effective when the TDS rises. But does it visually look any different when it’s spent ?

Thanks for everyone’s help,it’s great to be able to get advice from you all and it’s hugely appreciated.

cheers

dabber

Hi everyone

changed resin and TDS is now down to 002 which is what it normally is when everything seems ok.Membrane appears to be ok,but will take on board the issues of protecting it in cold weather.

I have a hidrotek 100gpd system and my supplier has advised me that with my TDS  readings that I would need to change the resin after 1000litres of production.Im only working 2 days a week max at the moment so that’s not a problem.

One other question,I know that the resin is becoming less effective when the TDS rises. But does it visually look any different when it’s spent ?

Thanks for everyone’s help,it’s great to be able to get advice from you all and it’s hugely appreciated.

cheers

dabber
Something's still not right, your TDS should be 0 after di.

If you do decide to change your membrane, here’s a little tip for the newbies.

Colour code every adjoining tube to its connecting port or membrane, waste or pre filter, you won’t connect it back up wrong!

Also remember to lubricate the black o rings. You can use cooking oil if you have no silicon grease ?
How come it's always the Londoners talking about greasing the o rings. Before you ask, yes since 5 O Clock  :1f61c:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock