Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Generator on wheels

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have a 650l tank but it holds pure so I never use it in case I contaminate the tank and it messes with my window cleaning. If I can't get access to outside tap then I don't want the job. I streaked all my windows once with a contaminated brush, never again, nightmare but my customers stuck by me when I did them again for free.
Thought about this, but just going see how it goes, outside taps dont give enough lpm to run JW!

so going have to have a water supply

Thanks SCS-would you let us know how you get on with the ramps please. Got a bit bored during lockdown and decided to dip toe in the water re gutter vacuuming.

I think I got a good deal with equipment -paid £1200 for second hand industrial 85 with carbon  poles (well used) -cant believe how light they are plus Skyvac atom plus Honda gx 270 generator. Still getting to grips with camera-not skycam-not sure working.

Part-timer-i think I bounced a few questions off you too so thanks for your help.

I only received a 15 minutes masterclass at a service station (half way )which wasn't ideal so reading as much as I can on this forum to learn.

I am not sure if I rushed into this, only time will tell. my first lesson was the generator was blinking heavy -so will get it fixed to trolley with wheels -plus need a ramp-therefore my request.re ramp advice. I have 2 fixed hose reels which will need to be widened to accommodate the gennie.

I have a 2 man wfp set up- 9only been going 12 months but expanding pretty quickly) I work with my son.

Other learnings are that I need a set of ladders for occasional blocked downpipes so need to invest in ladders and roof rack-any recommendations gratefully received too.

Thanks-any hints and tips gratefully received from all.

Cheers

Seel

I've got rhino aluminium roof racks on both of my transit's with roller bar at the back, had them a while and they are great! 

We use laddersandaccess.co.uk they tend to have everything weve ever needed. 

But looks like you got a great deal for £1,200!!

Thanks for the recommendation DCD-I will take a look. I thought so too regarding £1.2k. Was advertised for £1.5 k but keen to sell.

Thanks Part-timer -yes I will do-good advice.

8 kva !!!!!! Are you going to be supplying power to the national grid ?.... what on Earth are you going to be running off that ?..
I have also bought a 3kw kettle that boils 1.7l in 3mins (i timed it) so I can have a tea break anytime (like back at the fire station). On pvc cleans then i can boil water for my bucket of degreaser. I can run my Vac or two if I want too. Only thing is, I need a bigger van with a 350 litre tank because my 650l tank is too big for me. I will need to come off Checkatrade because I'm getting too busy, fed up working all the time. Only a few things left to buy, Elite poles and a chipper to break up tree branches because I'm still building the odd fence here and there. ?

I have also bought a 3kw kettle that boils 1.7l in 3mins (i timed it) so I can have a tea break anytime (like back at the fire station). On pvc cleans then i can boil water for my bucket of degreaser. I can run my Vac or two if I want too. Only thing is, I need a bigger van with a 350 litre tank because my 650l tank is too big for me. I will need to come off Checkatrade because I'm getting too busy, fed up working all the time. Only a few things left to buy, Elite poles and a chipper to break up tree branches because I'm still building the odd fence here and there. ?
You can only use one vac at a time !,,,,,???

Im going for one of these from rutland pumps for my skyvac industrial. 

Loncin 6kw Electric Start Generator LC8000
You most likely need a minimum of over 7 kVA and that is before you run a 100m extension but really 61 metres is the maximum recommended distance for a 16mm 240v 63A rated extension. There is a lot of current lost through the resistance of the extension lead.  110V and you can halve that distance.

It is prudent to over specify by a quite a sizeable margin if you are working at the end of long extension lead or you will be shortening the lifespan of generator and Skyvac.   The kVA on generators is peak and no equipment can run at peak for any length of time without doing serious damage.

There is no easy solution when it comes to power and working off-grid. Getting a smaller vac and genny means you are limiting your reach and taking twice as long to do the jobs you can reach.

Probably best to get a winch rigged up in your van to pull the generator up the loading ramps or make sure there is always someone to help you load. A ratchet strap or winch can help ensure that it cannot roll back on you on loading. If it is something you are doing all the time get a van gantry hoist or crane fitted as in terms of site safety the generator will be too heavy for two people to lift. An electric crane is fairly cheap to handle that weight.

I use ramps equipment of similar mass and it is easy enough, especially if you site the van on an incline to flatten the angle of the ramps a bit when you are loading and I always ensure I am pulling it into the van from above rather than pushing it from below just in case. It is not something I would feel comfortable letting an employee do though, hence the crane/gantry suggestion. The solution does depend on a lot of factors, not least the size of your van. With a generator and and  3 motor Skyvac most people are going to be struggling to squeeze in a pair of collapsible ramps, let alone have room to fit a crane.

Back