Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

single 10"fibredyne pre-filter?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Hi all, 

was just wondering if anyone knows or has any views on using this single pre-filter. It says instead of using 3 pre-filters just use this one and twice the life. I only have 2 pre-filters anyway, but would this one be better? I havent produced much yet as trade picking up slow, but thought when im due to change pre-filters it sounded good. 

Also, it mentions about stopping chlorine, would this maybe reduce the need for a water softener? im just about to get a softener before any more production, can get ones for £140 inc vat which have 6.9 litre vessel which seem a good idea. 

I guess mainly you hard water warriors will have some views which I'll appreciate to hear,

cheers all

Hi all, 

was just wondering if anyone knows or has any views on using this single pre-filter. It says instead of using 3 pre-filters just use this one and twice the life. I only have 2 pre-filters anyway, but would this one be better? I havent produced much yet as trade picking up slow, but thought when im due to change pre-filters it sounded good. 

Also, it mentions about stopping chlorine, would this maybe reduce the need for a water softener? im just about to get a softener before any more production, can get ones for £140 inc vat which have 6.9 litre vessel which seem a good idea. 

I guess mainly you hard water warriors will have some views which I'll appreciate to hear,

cheers all

A fiberdyne 10" carbon block filter has a service life of 38,000 liters - waste + pure.

So in my books that's better than a cheaper GAC or ordinary carbon block filter with a 10,000 liter service life as I wouldn't have to change it as often.

I have used 20" Fiberdyne prefilters for about 5 years now and would recommend using them. We still use a sediment filter as our water is full of sediment on occasion. When there were 3 of us drawing water, a Fiberdyne filter would need to be replaced every 3 months. But there were times when I had to change the sediment filter every month because our water was so bad. So I would recommend you use a sediment filter until such a time that you have proved to yourself that your water isn't like ours. If after the first change you hardly see any discolourization of the sediment filter then you can be pretty sure you won't need one. Just fit the Fiberdyne filter in the first housing (where the sediment filter goes) and leave the other/others empty.

The sole function of the carbon block filter is to remove chlorine from the water as chlorine and membranes don't get along too well together. The fact that the Fiberdyne c/b filter has 5 micron pore sizes means that it can also do the job of the sediment filter as well. The sediment filters we use are also 5 micron. So any tiny particles that are smaller than 5 micron will pass through the c/b filter as well.

There are some carbon block filters with a rating of 1 micron. We found that those blocked up and became useless long before their service life expired. They were also much more expensive.

A c/b filter only removes traces of chlorine from our water. It does nothing to make the water softer. A water softener runs the water through a salt 'bed' which removes calcium and magnesium ions from the water BUT replaces those ions with sodium ions. So the tds of water through a water softener will not change. Its modified. Sodium ions are much kinder to membranes than magnesium and calcium ions are.

Last edited by a moderator:
much appreciated for good info. The fibredynes look the ones to get, and a sediment filter too. Daqua do a reasonable softener.

cheers again.

I have been using the 10" fiberdyne for approx 6 months I prefer them just one filter to change instead of three lol seriously I have no need for a sediment filter where I live and even think my water production as gone up very slight as I only have a 450gpd RO.

Latest Posts

Back