Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GrippaTank Electric Reel Review?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Easy tiger @wezza13...I said it arrived...it's only right and proper that it should sit unpacked and in the way for just a little bit longer ? I've only been 'politely' asked at 4 times 'when is it going to get moved?'...i think I've got another 3-4 'lives'  before a thermnuclear meltdown because a distinct risk...?It does looks the part, sturdy but compact. Last week this week then we're off, so will tackle the install then, when all the shops are shut so when realise I need a thingy-me-bob I'm stuffed...? (I'm giving the van a clear out and installing some racking at the same time). I simply can not imagine that it will not massively make the day easier - (along with the side benefit of dropping down to microbore - needed for the reel)

I'm also fitting thru-the-floor 4way roller guides so need a bit of grace/time to get it all sorted...ready for new year restart.

Will let you know how it goes in the new year...

@wezza13 ...I got the reel fitted over the hols...initial thoughts, it's a 1st world 'must' have...get one!

Fitting was fairly straight forward...but a little fiddly...I've got a 1.2Mx850mm rectangular tank with a flat top to which I fitted sheet of alu checker plate, secured to the tank in each corner with a M8 bolt, 'flap' cut incase I need to access the tank top opening. I drilled bolt holes thru the checker plate and used M8 bolts poking up and thru the reel base holes and tighten a nut to keep reel secure. (No self tapping screws supplied - asper their bumph! and others comments) I shorted the lead to the battery and rewired the control box so the cables would flow in more logical atheistic flow for my setup. I relocated my water 'out' hose so it would be tidy and flush to the reel 'in'.

I left the 'remote' cable length as it came, about 1.5m, just to see how it works in practice...So far I think this sound approach I can stand back with the back barn doors open and comfortably stand operating 'remote'  without having to 'lean' into the van. Fitting instructions were all clear and logical (no indecipherable ikea pictograms in sight ?)

I fitted some thru flloor rollers (ala Waterworks HD Security guide) but not used in anger yet, want to asses the practicalities of the reel use first...but think this will be handy addition.

+Reel pulls in lovely, just take pressure off control button to keep speed under control.

+Sturdy build, looks/feels like it will last

+No more hand reeling...as many have said - I/you won't go back

+I noticed I've start to 'proudly' leave my barn doors open as I reel her in (as opposed to slightly 'apologetically' spinning the handle with the doors only ajar) related to have a good clean/tidy up in the van, fitting racking, etc..?

- It only powers in, you still need to pull/spool the hose out...

- You need to keep your eye on the reel when winding in to ensure cable is tidy and doesn't slip over the sides.

-The reel doesn't 'lock' in the wound in position, so hose could start to unwind, esp when I use the underport (need to figure out how to efficiently prevent this) 

- Recommended getting a couple of spare blade 30amp (I think) fuses - whilst 'testing' it's resistance if the cable is caught etc,  burnt out (guess that's a 'thermal' cut out, to prevent damage ) - but could imagine I'll do this out in the field so have  couple of spares

No experience of other electric reels, so others may no more pros/cons, but so far used in anger it's the real deal...(pun intended)

Last edited by a moderator:
My Grippatank electric reel is set at a steady pace which makes it very practical. Don't know what I would do if both reels failed because there is no handle to revert back to. Like everything electric, great when they are working.

My Grippatank electric reel is set at a steady pace which makes it very practical. Don't know what I would do if both reels failed because there is no handle to revert back to. Like everything electric, great when they are working.
Good Morning,

An emergency handle assembly can be connected into the side of the reel - if you have not got one, which comes with the reel as standard, please contact the office and we will get this sent out for you free of charge.

Good Morning,

An emergency handle assembly can be connected into the side of the reel - if you have not got one, which comes with the reel as standard, please contact the office and we will get this sent out for you free of charge.

That's handy to know, I'll pick one up and keep in my van in case I ever need it. Thanks

@wezza13 ...I got the reel fitted over the hols...initial thoughts, it's a 1st world 'must' have...get one!

Fitting was fairly straight forward...but a little fiddly...I've got a 1.2Mx850mm rectangular tank with a flat top to which I fitted sheet of alu checker plate, secured to the tank in each corner with a M8 bolt, 'flap' cut incase I need to access the tank top opening. I drilled bolt holes thru the checker plate and used M8 bolts poking up and thru the reel base holes and tighten a nut to keep reel secure. (No self tapping screws supplied - asper their bumph! and others comments) I shorted the lead to the battery and rewired the control box so the cables would flow in more logical atheistic flow for my setup. I relocated my water 'out' hose so it would be tidy and flush to the reel 'in'.

I left the 'remote' cable length as it came, about 1.5m, just to see how it works in practice...So far I think this sound approach I can stand back with the back barn doors open and comfortably stand operating 'remote'  without having to 'lean' into the van. Fitting instructions were all clear and logical (no indecipherable ikea pictograms in sight ?)

I fitted some thru flloor rollers (ala Waterworks HD Security guide) but not used in anger yet, want to asses the practicalities of the reel use first...but think this will be handy addition.

+Reel pulls in lovely, just take pressure off control button to keep speed under control.

+Sturdy build, looks/feels like it will last

+No more hand reeling...as many have said - I/you won't go back

+I noticed I've start to 'proudly' leave my barn doors open as I reel her in (as opposed to slightly 'apologetically' spinning the handle with the doors only ajar) related to have a good clean/tidy up in the van, fitting racking, etc..?

- It only powers in, you still need to pull/spool the hose out...

- You need to keep your eye on the reel when winding in to ensure cable is tidy and doesn't slip over the sides.

-The reel doesn't 'lock' in the wound in position, so hose could start to unwind, esp when I use the underport (need to figure out how to efficiently prevent this) 

- Recommended getting a couple of spare blade 30amp (I think) fuses - whilst 'testing' it's resistance if the cable is caught etc,  burnt out (guess that's a 'thermal' cut out, to prevent damage ) - but could imagine I'll do this out in the field so have  couple of spares

No experience of other electric reels, so others may no more pros/cons, but so far used in anger it's the real deal...(pun intended)

Sorry @NoName, only just seen this tag!

Nice one, thank you for the review. It seems that you're very happy with it. I bought the Power Up HD and it arrived on Tuesday. Fitted it into the van that night and used it for the whole day yesterday. Wow, what a difference! 

Nice and easy to use and a lot slimmer than I expected it to be, saving space in the van. It's nice and weighty too and seems to have been built solidly. I can see that it's going to help with my shoulder aches and pains too. 

Overall, it's looking like a winner. Of course, I now think "Why didn't I get one sooner!" ?

As an aside, I ordered it on Boxing Day to see if there were any deals (there weren't though). It was between the Pure Freedom Reel Master and the Power Up HD.  I went to the checkout page for the Power Up HD and it was £490 with free delivery + 5% off for being over £200 (I think?) taking it down to £465. The PF reel, with a swivel base, totalled £740 and you had to pay about £60 for pallet delivery. A massive no-brainer to purchase the Power Up HD!

Would highly recommend it to somebody else ?

Btw, if anyone wants to buy a Pure Freedom manual hose reel (that I purchased a couple of months back), PM me. It's this one : https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/pure-freedom-professional-metal-hose-reel-3/#hose

Last edited by a moderator:
The reel doesn't 'lock' in the wound in position, so hose could start to unwind, esp when I use the underport (need to figure out how to efficiently prevent this) 
I haven't found this to be an issue at all, I wind the main hose on to the reel up to the point of my inline tap connects with the rollers under my van, I then place my pole in the van along with the pole hose with one end attached to the inline tap then place the pole hose in the van so pole hose goes over the bumper and gets shut in the van door 

I haven't found this to be an issue at all, I wind the main hose on to the reel up to the point of my inline tap connects with the rollers under my van, I then place my pole in the van along with the pole hose with one end attached to the inline tap then place the pole hose in the van so pole hose goes over the bumper and gets shut in the van door 
I just attach a crocodile clip to the microbore just above the roller. Never had a problem 

Back