Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GrippaTank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

professional crash tested system is a far safer option as far as Ime concerned , this comes into play more if you have staff and clients that want to see your set up and we have secured a number of commercial contracts due to our professional set up
They're crash tested to 30mph only.  Who wouldn't brag about crash testing. The vans payload points with ratchet straps will hold a load secured at 30mph.  

When they start ramming vans head on in to walls at 70mph without repercussion then I'll be impressed. 

STILL WON'T MATTER the damage to the cab due to the force of weight in the cargo bay will still be massive and you're still going to get messed up. 

Total respect to Grippa or any company that can sell a plastic container and water pump for £10k. Wish so had thought of it. 

I have seen 2 of their systems and I'm still trying to work out where £5k of the value is (same with PF) 

TBH. I have seen some much more impressive work done DIY by lads on here for less than 1/4 the price. 

This will always be a horses for courses debate.  Id rather have a spare £8k for holidays and a DIY setup than any of the above but that as always is just IMO. 

As for securing contracts based on shiny toys in back of van I find that laughable.  What secured 90% of my contracts was submitting a RAMS with each quote. They found that more impressive than what type of controller I had fitted to my van. 

They're crash tested to 30mph only.  Who wouldn't brag about crash testing. The vans payload points with ratchet straps will hold a load secured at 30mph.  

When they start ramming vans head on in to walls at 70mph without repercussion then I'll be impressed. 

STILL WON'T MATTER the damage to the cab due to the force of weight in the cargo bay will still be massive and you're still going to get messed up. 

Total respect to Grippa or any company that can sell a plastic container and water pump for £10k. Wish so had thought of it. 

I have seen 2 of their systems and I'm still trying to work out where £5k of the value is (same with PF) 

TBH. I have seen some much more impressive work done DIY by lads on here for less than 1/4 the price. 

This will always be a horses for courses debate.  Id rather have a spare £8k for holidays and a DIY setup than any of the above but that as always is just IMO. 

As for securing contracts based on shiny toys in back of van I find that laughable.  What secured 90% of my contracts was submitting a RAMS with each quote. They found that more impressive than what type of controller I had fitted to my van. 
90% of my work is commercial, never been asked what my equipment looked like or who supplied it. RAMS, PL and prices are what the majority want. Occasionally references and PUWER, I have had a few residential customers asking to have a look at the equipment.  

I quite agree it does seam funny but for one very large company that we do a lot of work for we had to supply photos of the system proof of water tds by Samples and the regional manager wanted to see it It in the flesh before awarding g us a very lucrative contract  , all due to a previous national window cleaning company using unpurified tap water that they filled there tank from on site they didn’t have any filtration at all , so now they check all there contractors in the manner that I have just explained , solar steve with his solar panel cleaning company wants daily proof of tds readings and photos before and after work completed so more firms are starting to get wise to some of the cowboys in this industry 

Rams , pl, are of course essential but we still secured these long term contracts and my price is three and a half times dearer than the previous company so it just goes to show people are prepared to pay for a quality job we have been working for this firm for over 10 years and have just sighted a further 5 year contract

Thanks for all the comments guys much appreciated.  Am I right in saying that when you lease a van and system thru grippa at the end of the contract the van goes back but the system will belong to me??
Thanks guys for comments but no one has answered the question about what happens the system at the end of the contract?  Does it belong to me or the finance company??

You are right about it being crash tested to 30 mph , but the tank is designed for the filler top to come off in an accident and the water comes out of the top of the tank like fountain preventing intrusion into the cab compartment from all the videos I have seen the tank may rupture but stayed in place and doesn’t come in contact with the bulk head , it’s a personal choice but if you had an employee injured in an accident and had a diy system I think you will find that they may not pay out as the last couple of years that I’ve been shopping around for insurance quotes they would only cover what they called professional installations  by a known company like Grippatank, Ionic’s,etc , some insurance company’s ask for details of who fitted it and phone them to cheak  it out I’ve had that with both of my vans one has a 650 ltr and the other 1000 ltr system I think they are starting to get wiser with what some people are doing , I don’t intend going down the route of arguing about the law and the carriage of goods but a water tank used for window cleaning should not be held in place by ratchet straps it is a fixture not a parcel being delivered , I know some may disagree with this and that’s fine everyone is entitled to there opinion and as a sole trader if you want to do that it’s up to you , but under employment law you have a duty of care to employees and I think you would be found negligent if someone got injured or killed , unfortunately until that happens there will be all this conjecture 

solar steve with his solar panel cleaning company wants daily proof
:1f602: :1f602: :1f602: :1f602: :1f602:

The man who pays 13p per panel to subs and claimed that cleaning panels without 'his knowledge' would kill you and yet when challenged to show one example of anyone EVER being killed cleaning a solar panel totally failed to do so.  The man whom single handedly drove prices into the dirt over night, what could have been a hugely profitable industry destroyed by that fool! 

I can respect what your saying on a company requesting proof of filtration and TDS but all that means is you had to prove your waters pure and you had the tools to do the job.  You DID NOT get the contract because you have a 'Grippa' label on your tank.  

I advertise 'Pure Water' window cleaning.  Not 'Nearly pure' My water has not risen above 000 in over 2 years as I have a regime of filtration maintenance regardless of readings.    Your water is no more pure than mine and mine no more than yours. 

Like I said horses for courses, £10k does not make windows any cleaner than £2k 

You chose to buy a fitted system and that's your choice, but your're coming across as if you think your system will clean better than a DIY system and that's just not a fact.  As long as the water quality is the same and the technique right (which has nothing to do with what systems we have) then the glass will be clean.   In fact YOU would get the same result with a £100 backpack as you do with your system as long as the waters right.  Simple as that.  

he last couple of years that I’ve been shopping around for insurance quotes they would only cover what they called professional installations  by a known company like Grippatank, Ionic’s,etc , some insurance company’s ask for details of who fitted it and phone them to cheak  it out
Now your clutching at straws pal..     4 systems over the last decade, never once been asked who fitted it.  You're talking nonsense IMO now. 

With regards to the original question my van is a lease, when I finish the lease period I have the option to buy the van for the equivalent of the value of the last payment.  So in my case my final payment is £210 so for one extra payment of £210 I own the van.  No brainer.  

My advice is simply ask the question to the firm you are planning to lease the gear from. 

That's all I have to say on this topic now.  

:1f602: :1f602: :1f602: :1f602: :1f602:

The man who pays 13p per panel to subs and claimed that cleaning panels without 'his knowledge' would kill you and yet when challenged to show one example of anyone EVER being killed cleaning a solar panel totally failed to do so.  The man whom single handedly drove prices into the dirt over night, what could have been a hugely profitable industry destroyed by that fool! 

I can respect what your saying on a company requesting proof of filtration and TDS but all that means is you had to prove your waters pure and you had the tools to do the job.  You DID NOT get the contract because you have a 'Grippa' label on your tank.  

I advertise 'Pure Water' window cleaning.  Not 'Nearly pure' My water has not risen above 000 in over 2 years as I have a regime of filtration maintenance regardless of readings.    Your water is no more pure than mine and mine no more than yours. 

Like I said horses for courses, £10k does not make windows any cleaner than £2k 

You chose to buy a fitted system and that's your choice, but your're coming across as if you think your system will clean better than a DIY system and that's just not a fact.  As long as the water quality is the same and the technique right (which has nothing to do with what systems we have) then the glass will be clean.   In fact YOU would get the same result with a £100 backpack as you do with your system as long as the waters right.  Simple as that.  
I quite agree with you it is easy with the right filtration to have 000 water you dont have to spend 10 k Ime not saying my kit is better than anybody else’s what I am saying is that it is securely fixed to the vehicle and I have a certificate to show insurance company’s and if the worst should happen in the eyes of the law I have done my best to protect staff . 

Also agree entirely with you about solar steve but it is still a fact that firms do require proof and more company’s are going this way , we are In discution with a hotel chain at the moment they want a detailed description of our equipment, filtration set up and want to know if we keep records of servicing of equipment!! I kid you not all this was asked before Rams I asked if the wanted rams and public liability they were less bothered about that , shear madness but that is what they wanted 

Now your clutching at straws pal..     4 systems over the last decade, never once been asked who fitted it.  You're talking nonsense IMO now. 

With regards to the original question my van is a lease, when I finish the lease period I have the option to buy the van for the equivalent of the value of the last payment.  So in my case my final payment is £210 so for one extra payment of £210 I own the van.  No brainer.  

My advice is simply ask the question to the firm you are planning to lease the gear from. 

Ime currently insured with Alexander swan that was one of the first question that they asked said that they couldn’t cover wyvale tanks or diy systems unless professional fitted with an engineers report 

Last edited by a moderator:
But you don't need to tell them a name. PUWER and a simple paragraph in your method statement about testing water purity would do. Have done this for one of my customers for the last 3 years 
I think you might of miss understood what I meant I wasn’t saying that you have to have Ionic’s or Grippatank systems to gain certain jobs I was just saying what the customer was specifying certain aspects of what they wanted and wanted to see the equipment that we use , some company’s will not accept what you say this national window cleaning company told my client that they had ro systems in all there vans and water was 000 the reality was that they had a tank with pump in each van drive to the customers site filled the tank with tap water then cleaned the glass with it ! Not surprisingly in certain parts of the country this has led to lime scale problems so no theybwant proof of the equipment used and will periodically cheak when we are on site . 

surely company's like purefreedom, window cleaning warehouse etc would give you a certificate to stay proffesionally installed for insurance purposes or is it only grippatank and ionic that dies that.

You don’t have to pay a fortune to have GrippaTank fit a system.

I didn’t go for a crash tested system because of the reasons above, so they fitted me a custom made frame that I can hang my reels on, rollers in and under the floor of the van, supplied the tank, bolted it all in through the van floor, all for £1400.

Yes I could of done it cheaper, but £1400 isn’t going to break the bank and the installation is pure quality.

The word to sum this post up is compromise ?

Ime currently insured with Alexander swan that was one of the first question that they asked said that they couldn’t cover wyvale tanks or diy systems unless professional fitted with an engineers report 
No surprise mate, They are in bed with ionics 

Thanks guys for comments but no one has answered the question about what happens the system at the end of the contract?  Does it belong to me or the finance company??

I've asked Grippatank before, you own the system so can remove and instal in a different van

Actually @Green Pro Clean Ltd I'm with Aviva and they asked me if my tank was professionally fitted. Thats the first time I've been asked. I said yes, I fitted it myself. There was no further comment from the lady on the other end of the phone but I expect that this will raise its head if I make a claim.

I'm still with Aviva. But this last time they were totally involved with the total loss claim of my wife as she is a named driver on my van. Her accident and claim increased my van insurance by £60.00 and I lost a portion of my no claim bonus.

If I take her off then it reverts back to full no claim bonus and the insurance is reduced. She very rarely drives the van, but I need a backup driver should anything go wrong with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back