Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter clearing standards

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I think it’s down to how we sell our services , when quoting for windows I explain we will clean the frames , sill , and glass and doors on every visit , we clean conservatories from gutter line down on each visit ,but don’t do the roof ,on very odd occasions I have had someone say you haven’t cleaned the roof ,I then remind them of what was said usually they accept that cleaning the roof is a separate job and I think they were just trying it on to get it cleaned for free.
As for gutter vaccing work I explain that we will vac out all guttering and check all downpipes for blockages and unblock them , provided the gutters are 99% free from dirt and running free that’s it , as has already been mentioned if they can see into any gutters from upstairs and I think they are going to be a pita then we will wash them out with a garden hose but then the price will be more if we do this .
That’s pretty much exactly what I do. It just gets you thinking when you get pulled up on things and I was just reaching out to see what others do in the same situation.

On the subject of gutter clearing, seeing some of my regulars' gutters at the moment, I'm thinking of purchasing a panther or skyvac to add another string to the bow. My question is again, down to expectation. Do you, who use a gutter vacuum, ever get up or are expected to get up gutter level to inspect or anything like that?
I'm wfp for a reason, conservatory roof is my limit on a ladder so I'm wondering if I can go second story with gutter clearing without the expectations of ladder use. If I see anything untoward, I'm much happier subbing repair work out.
Thanks

On the subject of gutter clearing, seeing some of my regulars' gutters at the moment, I'm thinking of purchasing a panther or skyvac to add another string to the bow. My question is again, down to expectation. Do you, who use a gutter vacuum, ever get up or are expected to get up gutter level to inspect or anything like that?
I'm wfp for a reason, conservatory roof is my limit on a ladder so I'm wondering if I can go second story with gutter clearing without the expectations of ladder use. If I see anything untoward, I'm much happier subbing repair work out.
Thanks
I recently bought a Panther from GVS and find it great. I too don't do ladders. I do inspect the gutters with a camera and have only had 1 that had a down pipe I couldn't unblock. The downpipe was actually on the neighbours part of the semi, so I didn't have access to try unblocking it from the bottom. I did clear out the rest of the gutters before I realised that it was so blocked. I made the customer aware and said that as I hadn't cleared the blockage there would be no charge, they insisted they paid me! It was an existing windy customer though.
I am very careful of gutter end caps as they can pop off and without a ladder I would be paying a subby to sort out the end cap.
Not using ladders isn't ideal but is safer, I just use a camera and if I see the downpipes are looking like a forest I say sorry I can't do the job.
I recently bought a gutter spike from Gardiners and that has helped when a bit of mortar was stuck under a ridge tile in the gutter, it enabled me to slide it out from under the ridge so it could be vacced up. I also made a 40mm nozzle which might go past screws that are sometimes put in the outlet to downpipe joint.

Within 6 weeks of getting the gutter vac and geny I have done enough jobs to more than pay for both of them. So I'm quite pleased so far.

Thanks
Get one of these cheap go pro fakes from Amazon and stick it on the nozzle you are using to clear the gutters (comes with loads of fittings)
Connects to phone with app and can either look or record etc and see what they are like
I post regular videos on instagram and Facebook with it which also gets me more jobs
Just remember to turn your data off when using or it doesn’t work but doesn’t say on instructions
Did both houses here

Attachments

• IMG_1758.png
    IMG_1758.png
    365.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest Posts

Back