Gutter vacuum which brand ?

Discussion in 'Gutter & Fascia Cleaning' started by JEF, Jul 16, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. JEF

JEF Newcomer

Hello, I would like to invest in a Gutter cleaning system. Skyvac is too expensive for me. I've seen polarvak (with carbon fiber poles) from polarbrite. Somebody can tell me if this brand is good or not?
    I've a budget around 1200 pounds (more or less 1700 euros). Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

I've got a numatic and gardiner CF poles. Ive been happy with the performance which seems robust and capable but I only got 6m, 8m would be much better as I'm finding, even for normal two floor domestic where access can be compromised

3. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Buy a ladder and use you hands.

I have had gutter vacs in the past and turned up to so many jobs where the gap between roof line ind gutters is too tight the nozzel wont fit in or the muck packed in so tightly that it wont budge with a vac.

In the end I flogged them on ebay and now just use a ladder for gutters.

4. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Couldn't agree more, much easier and better job,

Gutter vacs mean you need power, there awkward, often they don't fit as green said, and there clumsy to use, if your only doing demestic houses then a ladder and your hands are the best way!

5. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

I agree there's some nasty tight gutters, but if the OP can afford it and has the demand, could be a useful tool. I made a nozzle with a narrow spout, inch diameter at the end, to deal with the narrow gaps, not ideal but does get the stuff out after a few passes, can be quicker than ladder and avoid certain risks

6. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Yeah it's defo safer, but what do you do if customer isn't in? You need electricity?

7. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Yes need electric point. Hasn't been a problem to date, but does need them to be in. I do them early evening and Saturdays. It hasn't come up, but if the electric thing came up I'd point out the cost on the bill to off set a generator would be a lot more costly than the mains electricity

I think having both is ideal as sometimes I look at houses and think I'd rather use ladder, more often, I'd rather use vac, including ones with poor rear access for a big ladder. If there's good gap between the tile and gutter, I can wiz round in a few mins, so quick it's bit awkward, but more often there some issue or other to slow it down to nearer ladder placement proportions

What bothers me most is the original cost and time to recoup it, and if the equipment fails it could take a long time to start being profitable over windows

8. TolishAPurd

I had dreams of buying one until I did the maths, and it just aint worth it. I'd say with all the gutters I've cleaned there is only one where I would have favoured a vac. But for those ones its easy, just turn it down, and you have instantly saved yourself £1200 quid. Its needed so few times, and takes so long to earn back that there is really no need to have one. For my business 1200squid could buy me some great tools that could earn me the money back in a couple of jobs. Why would I pay that much for (albeit well paid) dribs n drabs.

Heres an example for you; I'm looking to get into hardwood flooring as not many people do it, and I've been pricing up the tools recently. Compressor, floor nailer, brad gun, chop saw, and bits n pieces....all total about the same as a good vac. If you get a big job you could hide 1200 quid in the quote just on materials alone since you are dealing with thousands of pounds worth of materials, and get discounts off suppliers that can be left off the bill.;)

9. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

The costs do spiral for quality kit and if there's an alternative revenue stream that earns more it makes sense to back that. I think it does make back the money but it's not as easy or great as people make out; on a longer job (over hanging tiles, poor access) it hits the neck hard working at that angle and I've found so far most people don't want to pay for gutter clearance period, let alone with a 'safer' method

I think smurf made it pay nicely and Neil with his high level jobs. Must be others too, but it wouldn't be the goldmine for every one. My jury is still out. I'll see what the rest of the year brings

10. JEF

JEF Newcomer

Thank's to all members for your responses. I'm studying the pros and cons. I'm not afraid with hard work (I'm in the business since 1991). I've already cleaned gutters by hands (I've have a ladder to reach up to 10 m high), but in certain circumstances it's impossible to clean gutters with a ladder. For me, gutter cleaning will be an add-on and I know there are no miracle processes (this being valid for any work).

Advertisement