Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Health and Safety Precautions for Softwashing Large Block of Flats

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DeLaCruz

Want to make a strategy for a large block of flats i have to softwash - what precautions are you taking in terms of notification to residents, taping up vents, fencing off areas ect ? One wall is close to the main access door so not sure if its worth the trouble ?

Want to make a strategy for a large block of flats i have to softwash - what precautions are you taking in terms of notification to residents, taping up vents, fencing off areas ect ? One wall is close to the main access door so not sure if its worth the trouble ?
I'd say if you're not sure if it's worth the trouble, it probably is. Better safe than sorry. What chemicals are you using?
If you're going to be using Benz it might also be worth asking their advice cos they do some big commercial jobs.

How would you make sure all windows are completely shut?
Can’t spray chems in flats lol

I am asking bc big companies do this on the regular and i dont know their protocols ? Just wondering if anyone had any insight into their process for this kinda job

I am asking bc big companies do this on the regular and i dont know their protocols ? Just wondering if anyone had any insight into their process for this kinda job
Has the property management company not set you any specific requirements or inquired as to what chemicals you'll be using?
My advice to you would be to have someone else with you on the ground while you're doing the work so they can keep people well away.
Actually do a proper Risk Assessment and Method Statement and stick to it.
Put a notice up well in advance in the block informing residents that you will be cleaning the exterior etc and when and for them to keep windows closed. and do the job one section at a time ensuring it's taped off and signs out r.e. Caution - cleaning in Progress, Wet Floor etc and work your way around the building slowly.
It might be worth using something like Lightning Cleanze and factor the extra into the price with plenty of scent masker. You WILL get people complaining about the smell and questioning what it is, and some might make a real nuisance of themselves so better to cover your back with an approved product. If the smell gets too overbearing you might want to do it over 2 days but the smell is what residents will moan about so try to mask it as best you can.
Bear in mind that chemicals could take longer to work in cooler weather. (and what hypo can do in one treatment Benz might need 2).
Take obvious precautions r.e. overspray, run-off, protecting plants and lawns, vehicles parked nearby.
But basically if you keep people out of harms way and protect property ot should be ok. Take your time and make sure your quote ensures it's well worth your while and incorporates all the extra costs on chems, wages etc etc. It needs to be a good earner to make it worth the hassle otherwise swerve it. But management companies expect these jobs to cost and would possibly be a bit suspect of you if you're too cheap.
If they went to a company like Purple Rhino the quote would easily run into the thousands and that's no exageration.
I'm sure there's all sorts of bits n pieces I've missed out that others will fill in but hope that helps a little. And in the words of Arthur daley make sure it's a nice little earner.

Back