Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Heater for back of van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm afraid I'm from another generation. The world has changed and I've been left behind in the old one. I grew up in a world where you had to fix something when it broke as a replacement could be 3 to 4 months away. It was like that on the Copperbelt on the Congo boarder in the late 1950's and 1960's.

I have an industrial Bosch battery drill/screwdriver which is about 12 years old. The batteries are Nicad. (Some of the younger ones might not know what those are. ? But I can tell you in the late 1980's they were cutting edge technology that we were so excited about in the power tool industry.) It just bugs me that the cost of upgrading/replacing 2 battery packs is more than a new drill with 2 lithium battery packs.

This throw away market is something you younger ones see as normal. My son's flat screen Samsung TV set packed up a couple of months ago. We opened it and I pointed out a couple of swollen capacitors. A few pence, solder and a soldering iron could fix that. No, he went out and bought a new bigger TV and took the old one to the tip.

Whilst they awaited their new tv the grandkids were rather upset with not having a TV to watch. So we loaned them an old small flatscreen we had upstairs for a few days. I put new batteries into the remote for them. Did the GKs moan about this 32" TV being too small! To add insult to injury, they nicked the batteries from my remote as they didn't receive batteries with their new TV when it was delivered. ?

I have a perfectly good Bosch sabre saw (PFZ550 all purpose saw Bosch calls it) in the garage. It needs a new armature. A replacement armature with new carbon brushes is a similar price as a new machine.
I think a big part of the issue is things are no longer made to last. I'm a strong believer that you buy good you buy once (Where you can). For example I spent £300 on my Dewalt drill. I know if I look after it and have it serviced regularly it will last for 30+ years. The other issue is things move on so fast. My 65 inch android TV is already outdated as it isn't 4K so there is no need to make them last for 15 years any more because in 5 years they will be in the tip. Unfortunately instead of investing in manufacturing the west invests in the financial sector. That is why we have ended up with homes full of Chinese mass produced electronics and flimsy Swedish furniture... Looks good to the naked eye but as soon as you look underneath the surface it isn't so great. Similar to how people use Social media to tell everyone how perfect their lives are, posing for pictures and tagging themselves into places but if you were there with them you would see they aren't really happy, they spend their time looking through their phones instead of communicating with their family. Basically the whole of society is F**ked and we have developed a generation of self entitled little brats!

I grew within no mentor shall we say so practically totally clueless how to fix things, but I have 2 mates who do thankfully and a really good helpful neighbour who help me me out if needed.

£300 on a drill [emoji33] I bought a corded drill in a plain packing box for £17.00 from B&Q does the job as it rarely gets used, In 30 years I will be asking if you still have your drill ?

County Durham Lad

I grew within no mentor shall we say so practically totally clueless how to fix things, but I have 2 mates who do thankfully and a really good helpful neighbour who help me me out if needed.

£300 on a drill
emoji33.png
I bought a corded drill in a plain packing box for £17.00 from B&Q does the job as it rarely gets used, In 30 years I will be asking if you still have your drill ?

County Durham Lad

Same mate. Don't know my old man and had a rocky relationship with my stepdad so no one taught me anything. Until 5 years ago I couldn't even put up a shelf. Thanks to youtube you can pretty much do anything nowadays.

The difference between the new drill and the cheap drill I used to have is astronomical. It's the same principal as investing in a van mounted system instead of using a backpack and barrels makes your life easier. Its the reason I bought a 4040 RO instead of a cheaper one which realistically would have done what I need for now.

I think a big part of the issue is things are no longer made to last. I'm a strong believer that you buy good you buy once (Where you can). For example I spent £300 on my Dewalt drill. I know if I look after it and have it serviced regularly it will last for 30+ years. The other issue is things move on so fast. My 65 inch android TV is already outdated as it isn't 4K so there is no need to make them last for 15 years any more because in 5 years they will be in the tip. Unfortunately instead of investing in manufacturing the west invests in the financial sector. That is why we have ended up with homes full of Chinese mass produced electronics and flimsy Swedish furniture... Looks good to the naked eye but as soon as you look underneath the surface it isn't so great. Similar to how people use Social media to tell everyone how perfect their lives are, posing for pictures and tagging themselves into places but if you were there with them you would see they aren't really happy, they spend their time looking through their phones instead of communicating with their family. Basically the whole of society is F**ked and we have developed a generation of self entitled little brats!

Legislation also plays a part in product longevity in some cases. When that all purpose saw was first manufactured Bosch had to abide by new German legislation that required a brake to be fitted to dangerous equipment to reduce accidents. The way of doing it with an electric motor is to flash current through the motor the other way for a brief moment. It puts the motor into reverse but before the motor actually starts to turn in reverse(the opposite direction) the current is cut to the motor completely. This puts untold stress onto a single component - the armature. TBH I'm surprised it lasted the time it has to be fair, but in 25 years I can't say its done that much work.

Having come from an after sale service background and working at Bosch as technical and national after sales service manager in Johannesburg it still upsets me when that company (and others like it)  give lip service to great after sales service and customer care when they have moved away from the culture that Robert Bosch built the company on all those years ago. I understand that mass production reduces manufacturing costs and that is the only way they can still sell their products in today's world. I'm annoyed that 30 years ago they were already manipulating privatisation of their after sales service worldwide as they wanted to off load the financial risk onto smaller workshops approved by them to work on their behalf. They then deliberately priced spare parts at a level that forces people to buy new, thus killing off the service and repair market.

Black and Decker did the same in the UK 25 years ago. Now all those outlets we had in various centers throughout the UK have all gone. They don't want anyone to fix their products - they want them to replace them with new ones. So they now have a central factory warranty outlet and sell 'refurbished' stuff through a couple of outlets. 

We had to replace the catalytic converter on my wife's Citroen Xsara Hdi last year. Part from Citroen £1163 + VAT. Then you need 2 special exhaust clamps and also best to replace the special front exhaust mountings. 2 hours labour is shy of £150. So all in all around £1600.00. The car is worth about £750 even with 87k on the clock. Got one from our local motor factors for £87 including VAT and fitted it myself. It took me around 4 hours to do as removing and refitting intercooler pipes are a nightmare on that car due to limited working space. You have to do it to give yourself room to unbolt the exhaust clamp on the manifold. I honestly feel sorry for people who aren't able to do it themselves because big industry is pressurising everyone to replace with new asap. Its easy to get on a replacement treadmill with easy finance and very difficult to get off it later as they have hooked you and reeled you in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legislation also plays a part in product longevity in some cases. When that all purpose saw was first manufactured Bosch had to abide by new German legislation that required a brake to be fitted to dangerous equipment to reduce accidents. The way of doing it with an electric motor is to flash current through the motor the other way for a brief moment. It puts the motor into reverse but before the motor actually starts to turn in reverse(the opposite direction) the current is cut to the motor completely. This puts untold stress onto a single component - the armature. TBH I'm surprised it lasted the time it has to be fair, but in 25 years I can't say its done that much work.

Having come from an after sale service background and working at Bosch as technical and national after sales service manager in Johannesburg it still upsets me when that company (and others like it)  give lip service to great after sales service and customer care when they have moved away from the culture that Robert Bosch built the company on all those years ago. I understand that mass production reduces manufacturing costs and that is the only way they can still sell their products in today's world. I'm annoyed that 30 years ago they were already manipulating privatisation of their after sales service worldwide as they wanted to off load the financial risk onto smaller workshops approved by them to work on their behalf. They then deliberately priced spare parts at a level that forces people to buy new, thus killing off the service and repair market.

Black and Decker did the same in the UK 25 years ago. Now all those outlets we had in various centers throughout the UK have all gone. They don't want anyone to fix their products - they want them to replace them with new ones. So they now have a central factory warranty outlet and sell 'refurbished' stuff through a couple of outlets. 

We had to replace the catalytic converter on my wife's Citroen Xsara Hdi last year. Part from Citroen £1163 + VAT. Then you need 2 special exhaust clamps and also best to replace the special front exhaust mountings. 2 hours labour is shy of £150. So all in all around £1600.00. The car is worth about £750 even with 87k on the clock. Got one from our local motor factors for £87 including VAT and fitted it myself. It took me around 4 hours to do as removing and refitting intercooler pipes are a nightmare on that car due to limited working space. You have to do it to give yourself room to unbolt the exhaust clamp on the manifold. I honestly feel sorry for people who aren't able to do it themselves because big industry is pressurising everyone to replace with new asap. Its easy to get on a replacement treadmill with easy finance and very difficult to get off it later as they have hooked you and reeled you in.

There is still a Black & Decker outlet in Spennymoor 5 minutes from me, they do spares and refurbished items as one of my neighbours is a joiner by trade and got a refurbished drill for a good price when his packed up at working one day.

County Durham Lad

Without being rude to workers I don't call them mechanics, plumbers etc I call them replacement engineers.

There is still a Black & Decker outlet in Spennymoor 5 minutes from me, they do spares and refurbished items as one of my neighbours is a joiner by trade and got a refurbished drill for a good price when his packed up at working one day.

County Durham Lad

I was in their very empty factory in 1995 and the outlet/service center was in a corner of this freezing cold expanse of a once factory building. They used to manufacture power tools there but had just completely removed the complete production lines to another country where manufacturing was cheaper because of cheap labour and Government grants. The factory was up for sale. If memory serves me there was a Hoover factory there as well at one time and had also relocated to a country behind the once iron curtain.

I'm glad you kick started my memory as I could look to see if they have a good Dewalt refurbished battery drill in stock. Thank you!

Bosch did the same with a complete power tool assembly line and production on an old model series of power tools, a drill, a jigsaw, a sander and a circular saw. This was from the Swiss factory at Scintilla, Switzerland. The production line moved to Mexico but the tools produced were black rather than the green that was used to denote diy tools. It was power tool version of the old VW Beetle all over again.

I was in their very empty factory in 1995 and the outlet/service center was in a corner of this freezing cold expanse of a once factory building. They used to manufacture power tools there but had just completely removed the complete production lines to another country where manufacturing was cheaper because of cheap labour and Government grants. The factory was up for sale. If memory serves me there was a Hoover factory there as well at one time and had also relocated to a country behind the once iron curtain.

I'm glad you kick started my memory as I could look to see if they have a good Dewalt refurbished battery drill in stock. Thank you!

Bosch did the same with a complete power tool assembly line and production on an old model series of power tools, a drill, a jigsaw, a sander and a circular saw. This was from the Swiss factory at Scintilla, Switzerland. The production line moved to Mexico but the tools produced were black rather than the green that was used to denote diy tools. It was power tool version of the old VW Beetle all over again.
Your memory must be really bad as my wife and I was married in August 2000 and she worked there ? although it was only a year or so I think that the factory completely closed for good. if you are driving down your welcome to pop in for a cuppa, don't get confused at the newer Thinford roundabout you need to be in the middle lane to reach Durham Gate as it's now called 

Same mate. Don't know my old man and had a rocky relationship with my stepdad so no one taught me anything. Until 5 years ago I couldn't even put up a shelf. Thanks to youtube you can pretty much do anything nowadays.

The difference between the new drill and the cheap drill I used to have is astronomical. It's the same principal as investing in a van mounted system instead of using a backpack and barrels makes your life easier. Its the reason I bought a 4040 RO instead of a cheaper one which realistically would have done what I need for now.
I hear what you are saying mate and agree with spending more on work items that are used on a daily basis, But if you are only using a drill on an almost rare basis then it's pointless, I asked a mate of mine about the best mid-range priced cordless drill as I needed a better drill for drilling masonry etc and his very words were why on earth do you need to buy a one as you will rarely use it, get yourself to B&Q and buy the cheapest corded drill you can lay your hands on and it will do you just fine, He runs his own building alterations business so knows what he is talking about and he knows me too well ?

I'm in the same boat. This will be my first winter with a 350L set up. I was considering a Greenhouse tube heater. Does anyone have any experience with one?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Hi Brian, I have used a greenhouse tube heater in my VW transporter for the last 3 years. Best decision I ever made as it costs little or nothing to run. I have a 650lt tank and a pressure washer in the back which did not freeze even during last years coldest stretch. Very compact and safe to leave in the van over night.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

£300 on a drill
emoji33.png
I bought a corded drill in a plain packing box for £17.00 from B&Q does the job as it rarely gets used, In 30 years I will be asking if you still have your drill ?

County Durham Lad

Bought my first 9.6v Dewalt drill in mid 90s and even the case was made of metal. I think its still going bar the batteries. I have everything Festool and my 18v drill was £600. Batteries last forever now or seem like that as they are lithium ion and not had one lose its charge. You can buy things that will last but if it gets stolen then expensive to replace. Better to walk on to a site with a cheap drill in case it gets stolen. Festool understand that now and will replace your tool for £100 if it gets stolen so they understand what their customer is up against. Germans seem to make the best and so does the USA but 20% of the USA are of German decent I only found out.

Hi WindowWize

Thanks for that useful reply. I was hoping that something simple would sort out the problem. What length and wattage are you using?  I've copied a link from eBay showing various lengths and wattage. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tubular-Tube-Heater-with-Built-In-Thermostat-Greenhouse-Garage-Bathroom/382542295219?hash=item59114c30b3:m:mkmgIAFU-mbXcmrXGJxLsdw
I have a 60cm 120watt, bought from Argos for about 20quid.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks For the heads up. I was on your website. Do you do much softwashing? I haven't got a power washer. I was on the Cork lads website www.benzsoftwash.com they seem to know everything about it. Do you buy from them?

Yes I buy all my softwashing chems from them as softwashing is getting very busy due to the amount of houses finished with k render over the last 10 years which are starting to look really bad now with red algae stains. They are very good on price and their hypo (Benz blackwash) is great for putting on driveways and patios before power washing as cuts time in half. Works great on sandstone patios as no need to power wash after as you just need to rinse with plenty of water. Their Window Cleanze is great for adding to your pure water for window cleaning.

Yes I buy all my softwashing chems from them as softwashing is getting very busy due to the amount of houses finished with k render over the last 10 years which are starting to look really bad now with red algae stains. They are very good on price and their hypo (Benz blackwash) is great for putting on driveways and patios before power washing as cuts time in half. Works great on sandstone patios as no need to power wash after as you just need to rinse with plenty of water. Their Window Cleanze is great for adding to your pure water for window cleaning.

I've got a Vauxhall Combo with a 350L set up. A gardiner CLX25 Pole. What extra equipment would I need to offer softwashing? I'm thinking about water pumps and a water container. What set up are you using? What's your name?

I've got a Vauxhall Combo with a 350L set up. A gardiner CLX25 Pole. What extra equipment would I need to offer softwashing? I'm thinking about water pumps and a water container. What set up are you using? What's your name?

Just get yourself a Gardiner V3 backpack and make sure you empty and rinse well after use as hypo will wreck the seals and pump. That’s way you should not use your window cleaning pump with hypo. I spray using my Gardiner 27’ pole and use a brush with fan jets. I use the Gardiner guick loQ brush fitting which is handy as you can adjust the brush angle to suit. Seamus

Just get yourself a Gardiner V3 backpack and make sure you empty and rinse well after use as hypo will wreck the seals and pump. That’s way you should not use your window cleaning pump with hypo. I spray using my Gardiner 27’ pole and use a brush with fan jets. I use the Gardiner guick loQ brush fitting which is handy as you can adjust the brush angle to suit. Seamus

Thanks Seamus. Did you buy Ben’s illustrated guide on soft washing for troubleshooting advice?
https://www.benzsoftwash.com/products/benz-soft-washing-how-to-manual

Latest Posts

Back