Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hello all

WCF

Help Support WCF:

nico05

Hi guys, just want to reach out to say hello and get some basic advice if I may.

I've been reading the forums for a little while and seriously contemplating starting up myself with the purified water system as there does seem demand in my area.

Could I get a few basics from people as to everything I will need (recommended products to check out if possible). The SLX 22 pole & supreme tapered seem highly recommended on here, previously had shoulder injury so lighter/easier on the body poles the better in this regard.
I understand I will need a water tank to store in the pick-up (will be working from this) but with regards to purifying the water at home and pumping it into the storage tank I am a little unsure on exactly what is required best place to purchase.

Thank you for reading :)

Hi guys, just want to reach out to say hello and get some basic advice if I may.

I've been reading the forums for a little while and seriously contemplating starting up myself with the purified water system as there does seem demand in my area.

Could I get a few basics from people as to everything I will need (recommended products to check out if possible). The SLX 22 pole & supreme tapered seem highly recommended on here, previously had shoulder injury so lighter/easier on the body poles the better in this regard.
I understand I will need a water tank to store in the pick-up (will be working from this) but with regards to purifying the water at home and pumping it into the storage tank I am a little unsure on exactly what is required best place to purchase.

Thank you for reading :)
If you've previously had a shoulder injury I guarantee you'll be saying hello to it again!

There are plenty of videos on YouTube and also check out the suppliers websites as they show what's needed

dauqa
Bladeright
DA components
Window cleaning warehouse
Cleaning spot
Streamline
Wintecs
Cleaning warehouse

Also educate yourself on the dangers of working in the vicinity of overhead power lines. There has been too many serious accidents and deaths recently. One less if you are aware

If you’re worried about your shoulder I’d consider getting a longer pole. I realise it sounds counter productive weight wise but if you can stand further back from the windows when cleaning them it’ll be a lot easier on your shoulders.

If you’re worried about your shoulder I’d consider getting a longer pole. I realise it sounds counter productive weight wise but if you can stand further back from the windows when cleaning them it’ll be a lot easier on your shoulders.
22 will definitely do most windows but there might be one or two you come across that catch you out. That initial budget is hard to get back in your first year so it’s important to spend it wisely

I have also struggled with shoulder pain (due to this job). My advice is to buy the best pole you can. Then by extensions if you need them but ONLY add them onto the pole when you actually need to use them. Also, exercise. WFP cleaning uses some muscles but not all of them, so you end up with an imbalance (this is what caused my pain). Weight lifting has helped me balance them all up.

Welcome, there are loads of threads regarding all aspects of the equipment you'll need for setting up.
Regarding making your own water, ring Doug at Daqua.
Cheers mate I'll be sure to do that a telephone chat with him would probably be a nice easy way to grasp the ins and outs

If you've previously had a shoulder injury I guarantee you'll be saying hello to it again!

There are plenty of videos on YouTube and also check out the suppliers websites as they show what's needed

dauqa
Bladeright
DA components
Window cleaning warehouse
Cleaning spot
Streamline
Wintecs
Cleaning warehouse

Also educate yourself on the dangers of working in the vicinity of overhead power lines. There has been too many serious accidents and deaths recently. One less if you are aware
Cheers for your response, and the list of websites to check. Do you find it hard work on the shoulder regardless of pole and technique then?

22 will definitely do most windows but there might be one or two you come across that catch you out. That initial budget is hard to get back in your first year so it’s important to spend it wisely
Thank you Peter for your advice, standing further back does make sense. Is there a particular pole you would recommend? Would it be a carbon fibre one? Obviously id rather spend as little as possible to start with but would rather pay more and not need to replace due to the strain its causing etc

I have also struggled with shoulder pain (due to this job). My advice is to buy the best pole you can. Then by extensions if you need them but ONLY add them onto the pole when you actually need to use them. Also, exercise. WFP cleaning uses some muscles but not all of them, so you end up with an imbalance (this is what caused my pain). Weight lifting has helped me balance them all up.
Hi Alejandro, thanks for getting back to me. Is there a particular pole you would recommend to be kinder on the body with you suffering in that area. Lifting for pre hab makes total sense, I expect the job is very repetitive

Hi Alejandro, thanks for getting back to me. Is there a particular pole you would recommend to be kinder on the body with you suffering in that area. Lifting for pre hab makes total sense, I expect the job is very repetitive
I’ve been used an Gardiner Extreme pole but they are expensive, especially if you are just starting out. I would recommend a Gardiner SLX to start. Depending on the sort of houses that are popular in your area will depend on what length you should go for.

@nico05 I think @Master Jedi Alejandro has it spot on. I have an injury to my ribs which flares up. I use an 18 foot pole for the lion's share of my work, and then add on 1 or 2 extensions when necessary. I think the 18 foot pole does 95% or my work so a longer pole would mean extra weight. I use the SLX but if I had the money I'd get the Xtreme. The Xtreme Sill brushes are also great and nice and light (although even Gardiner's more robust brushes like the Standard Sill brushes and Super Lites are not as heavy as most other manufacturers brushes anyway).

I’ve been used an Gardiner Extreme pole but they are expensive, especially if you are just starting out. I would recommend a Gardiner SLX to start. Depending on the sort of houses that are popular in your area will depend on what length you should go for.

Thanks again, the extreme range looks impressively light but like you say expensive for starting out. The SLX seems a sound way to start

Go with the SLX. Look after it and it will last you years
Thank you Peter, would something like the SLX do the majority and still be relatively lightweight compared to a lot on the market? It's generally traditional two storey homes in and around my area. Thank again :)

@nico05 I think @Master Jedi Alejandro has it spot on. I have an injury to my ribs which flares up. I use an 18 foot pole for the lion's share of my work, and then add on 1 or 2 extensions when necessary. I think the 18 foot pole does 95% or my work so a longer pole would mean extra weight. I use the SLX but if I had the money I'd get the Xtreme. The Xtreme Sill brushes are also great and nice and light (although even Gardiner's more robust brushes like the Standard Sill brushes and Super Lites are not as heavy as most other manufacturers brushes anyway).
Cheers Scrubsy I appreciate that. Makes total sense to go with the 18 (I didn't realise that would do the majority of work). May I ask what specific extension did you buy for your SLX 18?

Thank you Peter, would something like the SLX do the majority and still be relatively lightweight compared to a lot on the market? It's generally traditional two storey homes in and around my area. Thank again :)
Yep you’ll be fine, SLX only gets really heavy when you’re at a dodgy angle or trying to reach over a conservatory or something.

In my opinion you only really need to be looking at lighter more expensive poles when you go over something like the SLX 22. That said I’m not a weight lifter or anything but I’m reasonably strong and I recently found out that I’m the only guy on here that just lugs his backpack around rather than putting it on a trolley.

Cheers Scrubsy I appreciate that. Makes total sense to go with the 18 (I didn't realise that would do the majority of work). May I ask what specific extension did you buy for your SLX 18?
@nico05 yes of course mate, I have extensions 5 and 6. Extension 5 takes the pole to just over 22.5 feet, and then extension 6 takes it to just over 27.5 feet. To be honest I only use extension 6 when I'm cleaning my own house as I live in a narrow townhouse which is a pain to clean, but as I'm about to start offering gutters/fascia cleaning it will probably get used more. It probably depends what your local housing is like but I find an 18 foot pole is usually fine.

Yep you’ll be fine, SLX only gets really heavy when you’re at a dodgy angle or trying to reach over a conservatory or something.

In my opinion you only really need to be looking at lighter more expensive poles when you go over something like the SLX 22. That said I’m not a weight lifter or anything but I’m reasonably strong and I recently found out that I’m the only guy on here that just lugs his backpack around rather than putting it on a trolley.
Cheers Peter, yea im fairly young and fit but not the most robust of fella's ha ha. Makes total sense with the pole SLX 22 seems a good shout. Do you use a backpack then rather than straight from the van?

@nico05 yes of course mate, I have extensions 5 and 6. Extension 5 takes the pole to just over 22.5 feet, and then extension 6 takes it to just over 27.5 feet. To be honest I only use extension 6 when I'm cleaning my own house as I live in a narrow townhouse which is a pain to clean, but as I'm about to start offering gutters/fascia cleaning it will probably get used more. It probably depends what your local housing is like but I find an 18 foot pole is usually fine.
Cheers for that mate I appreciate the advice

Back