Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tds reading of 277

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mind you you could also go down the rainwater harvesting route if you don't intend to use much water.

Got to dash now as I've some painting to do as I'm helping my son out so he can move back in to his own house....Thank god not too longer now as the little one is doing my head in /emoticons/biggrin.png

Got to dash now as I've some painting to do as I'm helping my son out so he can move back in to his own house....Thank god not too longer now as the little one is doing my head in /emoticons/biggrin.png
Do you mind if I ask how old is he?You took the money from under your bed and bought a place for him.nice

Is rainwater has 000tds reading?
No but it can be pretty close depending on where its collected from.

To explain: Our garage roof is felted but has been painted over with silver paint. If I clean the gutter out, the water collected can be anywhere between 2 and 6ppm.

The same rain taken off the hose roof is around 32ppm. We have a concrete tiled roof which is about 45 years old. Much of the protective coat has gone so the water will be contaminated from the exposed concrete deposits. If we were to paint the tiles or replace them with new then I'm sure the tds would drop considerably.

I have never bothered with rain water harvesting as we don't get enough rain to ensure a continual supply for our demand.

There is an old WPFer named jeff Brimble and he lives in Wales. He harvests rain water. He doesn't use much a day; he cleans a window with a thimble full of water, but he says collecting rainwater isn't as simple as it sounds. He is often up at 2am to sort his system out when it starts to rain. The idea is that he disgards the first catch as that water is more contaminated. Once the rain has washed any dirt off the roof, then he collects the cleanest stuff.

I remember a photo taken of someones setup in Cornwall somewhere. He had around 6 IBC tanks and was collecting water of a large industrial unit's steel roof. He was investing in more IBC tanks for additional storage. He has a few cleaner's working for him.

If you do a search of rain water diverters on Australian websites you will see how clever they are at rejecting the first rush of water off the roof and then collecting water later. I think they call it a 'first flush diverter valve.' Jeff does something similar but manually.

here is an interesting idea

http://water-tank-secrets.com/water-tank-accessories/first-flush-diverters/

but it needs daily maintenance as the first flush diverter tube needs to be manually emptied.

My son in his 30's already owns a house so I won't be buying him another one neither my other son./emoticons/biggrin.png

The granddaughter is a bit young yet to be setting up home on her own as is only 3:rolleyes:

Do you mind if I ask how old is he?You took the money from under your bed and bought a place for him.nice

I collect rain water. Started about 3 months ago. Just a small piece of guttering on the shed. Comes off at 7ppm. As it comes down the pipe I have it going into a funnel which I have filled with a bit of resin so it drips in the funnel through the resin & into my 25litre drum at 0ppm. Clean the windows with it & they come out brill. Had about 150 litres so far. Snows the best. Amazing how much you get from that.

With a tds at 277 ppm would work out roughly £40 to produce 1000 itr of pure water using Di resin only so is not a cheap option by any means.

Latest Posts

Back