Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi from a newbie

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Fair enough. Wife and son say the same. I guess there must be some truth in it.

Apologies, all!

Slap on wrist self administered. ?☺️

I was only joking Davy , you are a pussy cat really 
I'm still suffering from his cutting comment on the hot water thread...?

Fair enough. But I very rarely insult anyone. 
I can assure you whenever I have they will have deserved it.

I have a mantra "If someone can dish it out, they have to be man enough to receive a slice of it. " ?
I feel privilege then to suffer from your tongue lashing...?

@NewGuy, my sincere apologies. I don't remember it. In my defence I'm nearly 65, so easing steadily into dotage.

Ahem! Possibly a bit faster than easing. ?☺️

Just after starting up, looking for advice, not much money to start with so starting small, probs traditional then go over to water fed poles once enough money to buy the stuff, not sure about if i should save and buy a round or canvas, as hear a lot of stories about turf wars etc but not sure how true that is, but don't want to pay for just good will. 

Any advice would be good about how to go about this. and a big hi to everyone.

sorry if this subject been covered already
Surprised no one else pointed this out to you, if you’re planning to save and buy a round then just save and buy WFP equipment. It’s much more affordable than a round and in the long run it’ll pay off. You’ve heard of the saying all the gear no idea? You’ll be none of the gear and no idea. If I sold you some of my work tomorrow my customers would cancel you one by one because you’d be turning up doing a ? job due to lack of equipment and knowledge.

I lost a good customer in Renfrew this week, not sure if they are moving or jumped to someone cheaper. If I lose anymore then its because I'm quite expensive but I clean everything and even the wheely bin lids.

Just became aware that "There is no loyalty in window cleaning" fwiw
I've just started a new company doing water fed pole frames cills and both doors included my 4 neighbours wanted me to do there's let the local guy that does them know and that I'm not canvassing anyone well the reply was downright disrespectful. I charge a lot more than he does but Dona bang up job every time. He's gonna lose a lot more as everyone is fair game.
No more Mr nice guy do a bang up job charge appropriately and you won't lose customers.
I will be keeping his texts for future reference.

I've just started a new company doing water fed pole frames cills and both doors included my 4 neighbours wanted me to do there's let the local guy that does them know and that I'm not canvassing anyone well the reply was downright disrespectful. I charge a lot more than he does but Dona bang up job every time. He's gonna lose a lot more as everyone is fair game.
No more Mr nice guy do a bang up job charge appropriately and you won't lose customers.
While customers have the choice who they have, I would say it's the customer who does the 'hiring or firing' of their windy. If the 'new' windy 'sacks' the old one by text I am not surprised you received a disrespectful message back. Just remember that you are taking money out of someone else's pocket and then telling them!!!

By all means run your business as you see fit but I would suggest canvassing where you want to work but don't undercut anyone as that will just be a race to the bottom and no one wins! If you start trying to 'take' someone else's work then you might be in for a rough ride!

Above all be professional, be reliable, do a great job and charge a decent rate and you will build a great business.

While customers have the choice who they have, I would say it's the customer who does the 'hiring or firing' of their windy. If the 'new' windy 'sacks' the old one by text I am not surprised you received a disrespectful message back. Just remember that you are taking money out of someone else's pocket and then telling them!!!

By all means run your business as you see fit but I would suggest canvassing where you want to work but don't undercut anyone as that will just be a race to the bottom and no one wins! If you start trying to 'take' someone else's work then you might be in for a rough ride!

Above all be professional, be reliable, do a great job and charge a decent rate and you will build a great business.
This guy has been cleaning my windows for years thought he was a friend I was only saying that 4 neighbours wanted me to do the windows best coming from me I thought i was very respectful said I wasn't canvassing the area but it's the way he replied instead of saying you win some you lose some and he doesn't do what I am doing fair enough I'm £6 more expensive I will never undercut anyone as it's a totally different service I'm offering times are changing people want a better service where do people get off with this is my patch. Do a good job you won't lose anyone.
Unreal the way he responded he can't service the customers he has.
I'm more into pressure washing to be honest more money and satisfaction in it.

Yes it can turn nasty. The guy has been coasting along and now bang, opposition begins to take his customers or his money or is it the customers are fed up with his service and jumping ship. I get the pink stuff out and clean the white pvc door so the new customer sees instant results. It takes at least 10 mins but I have found its well worth it because my new customers tell me so.

Yes it can turn nasty. The guy has been coasting along and now bang, opposition begins to take his customers or his money or is it the customers are fed up with his service and jumping ship. I get the pink stuff out and clean the white pvc door so the new customer sees instant results. It takes at least 10 mins but I have found its well worth it because my new customers tell me so.
You've got to use up all that pink stuff! :ROFLMAO:

He sure has been coasting but I offer as I said a better service that he doesn't do, I'm going to go after the big stuff to make it worth my while.

Buy a round only if the seller is willing to do the round with you for a few cleans
Anyone decent will let you go out with them and clean the round if you are going to buy it. & Pay you a % of Takings that day
If you are going to do Ladder Work you will have to buy an established round off a Traditional Window cleaner
Then clean this way untill they have got used to you
Dont just go out once if buying a round. They will dump you if they think they have been sold out

Google new houses that are getting built and see how far away the developments are, if you get lucky and get in there first then chances are youl pick up a good few.

Apart from that buying is by far the quickest and most efficient way, problem is when starting out most don't have the funds to buy it. If you see adds that you fancy then even if you haven't got the funds at the time give the number a call anyway. When ppl are selling runs there's a good chance its because they have to much work and are struggling to get round it. So they might give you a bit of lee way with maybe paying it up and eases the burden on them too. I've let complete strangers pay up rounds before and so far been lucky that they have stuck to there word. When buying a run il pay no more than half upfront, then the other half is paid on completion if everything's like how it was described.

Had one person say before well how can I trust you to pay the rest of the money, tbf we had never met before. I said ask yourself who's taking the bigger risk here, I've just handed you 2k for a few pieces of paper with addresses on it. For all I know you might have just wrote down anything. Said from the outside looking in here the majority of people would say I'm taking the much bigger risk here. Could be 4 bits of paper that I've just handed you 2k for.

Back