Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Expanding

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Millsy

Not sure where to start so here goes. Started window cleaning about 2 years ago and its took off better than I ever expected . If pays a very good wage for the hours I do. Up until 2 weeks ago I had a customer base of approximately 270 customers that I cover over a 4 week period. My son is now coming on board in 4 weeks time as he’s fed up with his job so I’m going all out advertising , I’ve managed around 30 new customers in the past fortnight . Just worried I’m not going to be able to build up the customer base required to pay 2 wages. But how else do you expand.. I’m considering going down the route of offering gutter cleaning and pressure washing. Your thoughts please ?

Try and get recommendations from existing customers, ask do they have family and friends that need a window cleaner , canvass up and down the roads that you already have work in , advertise in local papers , website, sign writing van brings in loads of work if it’s done well . Some advertise on facebook not for me but some say it works well . Expand the work you do with add ons , gutter vac, pressure washing , UPVC cleaning etc until you have enough regular window jobs ,this time of year is ideal for picking up all types of work .

What he said above, your son shouldn't be under any illusion, to put it bluntly the jobs shite just like every other job. There's no one in school that has any ambitions to be cleaning windows when they leave. It's repetitive work which makes some days become a slug fest

Bear in mind that add ons like pressure washing are very much seasonal and jobs are few and far between during winter.
The one reliable source of regular ongoing new enquiries all year round is a website that ranks well in local search results and a Google Business Profile. These results are the box of 3 results at the top of page 1 (called local pack).
You don't need a website to claim your listing. Just fill it out accurately and only select the services directly related to your business. Once up and running get reviews from existing customers and this will boost your ranking. This is the link you need.

Also claim on Bing Places and other free listings on sites like Yell, Yelp etc. Reviews here also help where you rank in their results and your business in general.
@Gavin who runs this forum will make you a professional website for a reasonable price and can arrange hosting, management etc. He understands the business and is very good to deal with. . . and I'm not just saying that. It happens to be true. Or click one of the ads on here for Thrive WP.
The fact is websites work for you and generate wnquiries from local people actively looking for your services

Can your son not go part time on his job and do a couple of days with you. This would take the pressure off in having to double in size overnight.
It will also allow your son to build up the required muscles and let him find out if he likes this jo
Bear in mind that add ons like pressure washing are very much seasonal and jobs are few and far between during winter.
The one reliable source of regular ongoing new enquiries all year round is a website that ranks well in local search results and a Google Business Profile. These results are the box of 3 results at the top of page 1 (called local pack).
You don't need a website to claim your listing. Just fill it out accurately and only select the services directly related to your business. Once up and running get reviews from existing customers and this will boost your ranking. This is the link you need.

Also claim on Bing Places and other free listings on sites like Yell, Yelp etc. Reviews here also help where you rank in their results and your business in general.
@Gavin who runs this forum will make you a professional website for a reasonable price and can arrange hosting, management etc. He understands the business and is very good to deal with. . . and I'm not just saying that. It happens to be true. Or click one of the ads on here for Thrive WP.
The fact is websites work for you and generate wnquiries from local people actively looking for your services
Yes I understand they’re seasonal . Just weighing up the options.

What he said above, your son shouldn't be under any illusion, to put it bluntly the jobs shite just like every other job. There's no one in school that has any ambitions to be cleaning windows when they leave. It's repetitive work which makes some days become a slug fest
I’ve explained to him there are no guarantees. I’ve been self employed for over 30 years as a scaffolder/health and safety advisor and now window cleaning. Trust me the latter is far better than the other two. He’s leaving a job that pays around £24k a year that he hates. He may as well give this a try .

I’ve explained to him there are no guarantees. I’ve been self employed for over 30 years as a scaffolder/health and safety advisor and now window cleaning. Trust me the latter is far better than the other two. He’s leaving a job that pays around £24k a year that he hates. He may as well give this a try .
I was in a similar situation, I took my brother on and had to grow quickly. Here is what I did:

1. Both of us knocked doors whenever possible.
Even if you both average 1 hour per day, with 1 customer per hour each. That's 14 new customers per week.
The more time you put in, the better that will get

2. Post every couple of weeks on local Facebook groups, you should get at least a couple enquiries each time. At the very least you get your name out there so people recognise you as local when you canvass.

3. Use a lead generation service
I cannot recommend Josh and Reliable lead generation services enough. They advertise for you, and you pay for £12.50 per lead they provide. The first time I used them I closed around 75% of the leads, earning my investment back on the first clean.
The second time was slightly lower, but you'll still be in the green by the second clean minimum.
I did some advertising myself and didn't get anything from it, they work wonders.

Using all 3 of those you can grow decently quick.

Best thing is to get him a van with good signage on it then you will have two vans on the road offering free advertising. I'm sticking to being a sole trader as someone called today looking for work. I like to keep it simple but can understand when it's a relative. good luck.

Best thing is to get him a van with good signage on it then you will have two vans on the road offering free advertising. I'm sticking to being a sole trader as someone called today looking for work. I like to keep it simple but can understand when it's a relative. good luck.
Yes this is what we’re going to do. I’m exactly the same and want to keep it simple.

Heard alot of cases in business where the company has expanded too quick and went pop. Having too much work is worse than having too little work which I have found out. Folk then begin to call and ask when you are coming and doing the work. All it takes is one to fall sick and the headache really begins.

Heard alot of cases in business where the company has expanded too quick and went pop. Having too much work is worse than having too little work which I have found out. Folk then begin to call and ask when you are coming and doing the work. All it takes is one to fall sick and the headache really begins.
Can’t really foresee that being a problem. All my customers are on 4 weekly and I don’t think any of them would be bothered if I had to go too 6 weekly if one of us were ill. I’m just trying to balance fitting new customers into each area I do until he starts with me next month. It’s all good fun though .

I'd always prefer too much work rather than too little. Then you can cherry pick the best jobs and make sure you only take on what you know you can handle.
That's all part of running a business and managing your time.... it's not as if you're going to be listed on the stock exchange. It's a window cleaning round

I'd always prefer too much work rather than too little. Then you can cherry pick the best jobs and make sure you only take on what you know you can handle.
That's all part of running a business and managing your time.... it's not as if you're going to be listed on the stock exchange. It's a window cleaning round
This⬆️

I was in a similar situation, I took my brother on and had to grow quickly. Here is what I did:

1. Both of us knocked doors whenever possible.
Even if you both average 1 hour per day, with 1 customer per hour each. That's 14 new customers per week.
The more time you put in, the better that will get

2. Post every couple of weeks on local Facebook groups, you should get at least a couple enquiries each time. At the very least you get your name out there so people recognise you as local when you canvass.

3. Use a lead generation service
I cannot recommend Josh and Reliable lead generation services enough. They advertise for you, and you pay for £12.50 per lead they provide. The first time I used them I closed around 75% of the leads, earning my investment back on the first clean.
The second time was slightly lower, but you'll still be in the green by the second clean minimum.
I did some advertising myself and didn't get anything from it, they work wonders.

Using all 3 of those you can grow decently quick.
Anyone who's used lead generation services and it worked for them then good luck to them. But personally I don't like the idea of paying for leads and definitely not at £12.50 each! And when you've got no idea about their quality. A decent amount of them is going to work out expensive.
As I understand it, rhese leads are generated by online enquiries so I'd much rather invest that money in getting a website of my own and generate my own enquiries that come direct to me - and keep on coming.
Advertising is very much a hit and miss affair and there' no better advert for your busines than a website that ranks in the local pack and on page 1 of Google in the local search results.
Attached is a screenshot of stats for my site = nearly 2 thousand visitors in last 30 days and I've lost count of how many ewquiries from calls and emails.
Websites work.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 17-30-21 Pages ‹ Gleam Team — WordPress.png

Then you get a reputation for not being reliable when you bump off customers

Latest Posts

Back