Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hose guides/ rollers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gasket

I have to work out the backdoors of my van , my reel is fixed in and I use a cheap hozelock hose guide, which is great 90% of the time when I’m able to park in front of the work, but it’s a pain if I’m opposite the work or behind it, meaning that I have to drag the hose against the bumper and bodywork. I did see something on you tube where they had fabricated an arm or similar to get the roller outside the van. Just wondering how you guys deal with this 

I got a pure freedom reel, it had bars that slide out with rollers on, I can pull sideways without scuffing up the van.

You could probably make or get made something similar

admin-ajax.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a pure freedom reel, it had bars that slide out with rollers on, I can pull sideways without scuffing up the van.

You could probably make or get made something similar

View attachment 16651
A local windie has those double mounted reels with those pull-out guides. His van has reer barn doors and the guide doesn't pull out far enough the clear the back doors, so he still has the problem. He still works with both his rear doors open. These reels work fine if you have a lift-up tailgate.

As per @Iron Giant this topic has been discussed numerous time @Gasket.

Whatever you decide, underfloor rollers need very regular maintenance and replacement as they are sprayed with road muck and grim everytime you drive on the road.

I put up this YouTube video link once of a window cleaner in the south who fitted a roller system to his van using fairlead rollers below secured to his rear valance/crossmember box section. He tells me he has to lubricate those rollers because they seize up if he doesn't. He's had them on his van for a quite sometime now.

Here is a copy of the Q&A asked when he put the post up. (I've removed some questions. One was; if this is a sneak preview, where is your tank?)

The Ebay links probably won't work now.

1. What stops the handle rotating as you drive and allowing the hose to unravel thus eventually dragging on the road?

1) There is a locking pin on the Reelworks 460, purchased from Gardiners. (http://www.redashe.co.uk/ )  I used to have a purefreedom reel which I just used a bungie cord on. It does unwind otherwise, and your rectus connector will be half gone when you turn up to your next job. Hilarious, but expensive!

2. How did you cut through the floor of the van and make safe the jagged edges of the aperture over which the rollers stand? Who did it for you?
2) I cut through the floor with a dremel, filed down the edges, and ultimately protecta kote went over it.

3. Is there some kind of base plate beneath the van to which the bolts holding the reel to the van floor are secured to?
3) Probably should have done that, but at the moment it's bolted with penny washers. One end it went through an extension of the box section, so it's safe for anything other than head on crash.

4. Is there any reason you didn't fix it to one side or the other of the van floor - in the middle wouldn't work for me.
4) No particular reason why you can't have it anywhere you want. You can do both. I wanted both sides free so I can put some boxes and safety cones there.

5. Have you been through a hard winter with it? If so how did you stop the hose from freezing solid (I take mine indoors each evening when it's very cold)?
5) Yes I did go through a bad winter with it, several! During the day I did not have to take the hose all the way in. During the night I did have to do so, as that part of hose freezes up. When it's inside the van it's okay as I have a fan assisted heater with thermostat in there. Coldsnap app on Android lets me know when temps are going down.

6. What are the rollers below the van called?
6) Fairlead is the type of winch roller guide.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251094330203&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160#ht_500wt_1180

Specs

[SIZE=18pt]HD15000 heavy duty roller fairlead suitable for a wide variety of winches - 255mm mounting hole centres[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Heavy duty roller fairlead essential for correct/safe fleet angle winching.

Fairlead is suitable for a wide variety of winches.

Fairlead consists of two horizontal and two vertical chrome rollers with long life bushing mounted on steel pins in a Black steel frame.

Mounting holes centres for fairlead is 255mm.

Overall dimensions of fairlead are 294mm long, 115mm high [140mm pin height], 85mm deep.

Fairlead centre opening 215mm x 25mm.[/SIZE]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330755937376#ht_500wt_1414

This looks similar

[SIZE=24pt]Cable Winch Fairlead Roller Pulley Lifting Host Trailer ATV Recovery Steel 4x4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cable Winch Fairlead Roller Pulley Lifting Host Trailer ATV Recovery Steel 4x4 CS/127C[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4 Way chromed plated fairlead suitable for many winch applications up to 2.2 ton (4500lb). an be used with winch wire and winch rope application. The item provide a stable and accurate straight direction with the use of 4 rollers that create a smooth running. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Specification:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]Width: 72mm[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Length: 148mm[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Depth: 46mm[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Fixing width (centre to centre of hole) : 129mm[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Fixing hole ID: 9mm (12/32")[/SIZE]

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back