Hot Rain

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Jeff Brimble, Oct 20, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Jeff Brimble

Jeff Brimble Member

I have an L5 but went for this during the summer heat. Costs nothing to run off the waste heat from the car rad system.

[​IMG]

I like to try things before reccomending them so that will be the spring :) I got on very well last winter with just bringing in containers and storing overnight next to rads, temp about 25 degrees. but over the summer I had an itch to try storage water on a bigger scale so found these and fitted them, bleeding the car rad system was a slightly difficult, But I now have mulled wine on tap for Christmas.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROWBOAT-AND-MARINE-calorifier-/180875242570?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item2a1d012c4a

The thing is now that I have done it, I have realised just how much heat a car engine wastes, we are messing about with Windmills but have millions of vehicles on the raod, if only someone could capture that waste we could almost run a couple of power stations with it, its enormous.

Current tank temp at 6.15pm Sat is 28 C check back tomoz and I will post the morning temp.
    The immersion raises the water temp by 1 degree in 1 min.

1"BSP fittings for the tank or plastic equiv. a pair of taps for the car rad in and out - so that the whole thing can be taken out. Welded bracket anchored to the seat belt fixings. Enough space above it to be able to put water in the top.I pump from the IBC. Cut the car hose and insert "T" s to circulate round the cylinder then bleed. I did think about putting a thermo tap on the in side but it was an extra £30 so make do with turning the tap on for 20 min or so when the engine is hot. Water stays warm all day as does the car.100 degress F is the hotest I have used temp taken at the top with a fish tank thermometer, the tap at the bottom (Supply)of the cylinder is far cooler.
    When I get home I top up the cylinder and theres usually enough warm water to stay warm till the next morning.
    The downside for the majority that are not water efficient is, that it holds approz 50-60 litres so not for the guys that use 2L per minute. I use approx 40 litres per day so its been designed for my useage. But you could buy larger cylinders for more money and running costs etc.

Advertisement
  2. chip

chip Guru

Thought I might be seeing that on here! Jeff, you're a genius! Just to clarify, is the idea just for the day usage, or do you expect it to handle freezing nights to protect hoses etc?

3. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Hi Jeff,

I have a Wabesto diesel hot water heater with 2 plate heat exchangers which I having been planning to fit in my van for the last 3 years.

I have thought of coupling this Wabesto up to a calorifier like this and using it the other way round. A calorifier has an internal heat exchanger that is coupled to the vehicle's cooling system and this is how the cold water in the calorifier is heated. But I want to heat the water up in calorifier with my diesel heater so it becomes the heat source. The idea was to pump my wfp water through the internal heat exchanger which would heat the water going to my pole.

However, none of the manufacturers of these things will commit to their internal heat exchangers being efficient enough to work this way round. At a flow rate of 2 litres per minute I guess it would be asking a bit much.

I don't want to heat the water much, I just want the hoses a little more supple during the winter cold, that's all. The other solution is to plumb the whole heater into the van mount and just heat the water a few degrees for that day.

Spruce

4. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

one down side to storing and heating water like this is high risk of legionnaires disease. anything over 20ºC the bacteria grows.

good idea tho,

Causes of Legionnaires’ disease

Legionella bacteria is commonly found (often in low numbers) in sources of water, such as rivers, lakes and other area that water is stored. The bacteria sometimes find their way into artificial water supply systems such as:
    • air conditioning systems
    • hot and cold water services
    • cooling towers

Given the right conditions, legionella bacteria can rapidly spread and contaminate these water systems.

Large buildings, such as hotels, hospitals, museums and office blocks, are more vulnerable to legionella contamination because they have larger, more complex water supply systems in which legionella contamination can quickly spread.

There are strict regulations regarding the maintenance and control of water supply systems, such as either keeping the water cooled below 20ºC (68ºF) or heated above 60ºC (140ºF) to prevent an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease.

See Legionnaires’ disease - causes for more information about where legionella bacteria can be found and how they can spread.

5. chip

chip Guru

I might have known you'd come up with that! :)

6. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

well it can kill people and sperading it about on customers house too isnt good! its just something to be aware of!
    you can get it in your static ro systems too!

daughters in hospital with problems, and i have asked the doctors to test her for it as all her symptom's are the same as legionnaires and im not even storing warm water!

7. chip

chip Guru

Does storing in the ibc outside pose a threat?

8. chip

chip Guru

Hope your young uns ok

9. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

any water being stored can be a threat. even the water from air conditioning systems. the ro systems dont get rid of the bacteria from the water, so if the water reaches between 20ºC - 60ºC thats the perfect growing temp for it.

its not to bad if you using the water and getting rid of all the water each day, but it can still grow in small amounts.

10. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

cheers, im hoping its not this tho, other wise i could have some explaining to do!

Advertisement