Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water problem

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Does anyone use their hot water just half the year? Finding im using a lot of diesel when used so was thinkin of just using it from oct-march. Or is that bad to leave the burner not used for so long at a time? 
And how often should a webasto diesel burner be professionally serviced? I was told around 2-2.5 years. 
i use hot water all year round every day....i only put around £100-£120 a month in diesel in my van(this is both for running the van and heater)so around £25-£30 a week....

ive had my burner and glow pin changed once in 3 years and a bit of pipework altered...it cost me around £430 including VAT and labour.thats it.....

Its all the proverbial horses for courses.

@Pjj's heater has done well before it needed repair. The cost of repairs was nearly the price of a new boiler. Whilst my inner self compells me to repair what I have rather than buy a brand new replacement, unfortunately logic tells me that sometimes in this modern world I have to follow logic.

If you want to service your boiler every year then that's up to you. If you want to run it until it stops or shows signs of future failure (excessive smoke when starting up) then that's also fine. I'm a believer in that if its working then leave it alone. It isn't like a car that needs a regular oil change.

Many years ago in the motor trade there was a feeling even among mechanics. that once you strip an engine down for repair, it's never the same after that.

@Pjj's heater has done well before it needed repair. The cost of repairs was nearly the price of a new boiler. Whilst my inner self compells me to repair what I have rather than buy a brand new replacement, unfortunately logic tells me that sometimes in this modern world I have to follow logic.

If you want to service your boiler every year then that's up to you. If you want to run it until it stops or shows signs of future failure (excessive smoke when starting up) then that's also fine. I'm a believer in that if its working then leave it alone. It isn't like a car that needs a regular oil change.

Many years ago in the motor trade there was a feeling even among mechanics. that once you strip an engine down for repair, it's never the same after that.
I wonder if we will begin to witness more plane engines going on fire due to their lack of use ? I'll be waiting a year till they have all been run in again just incase.

The funny thing is it still worked out cheaper than having it serviced every year as it was 6:5 years old they quote around £400 plus VAT for an annual service ,so servicing costs for that time would be over £2400 plus vat , I could buy two new heaters for that .

The funny thing is it still worked out cheaper than having it serviced every year as it was 6:5 years old they quote around £400 plus VAT for an annual service ,so servicing costs for that time would be over £2400 plus vat , I could buy two new heaters for that .
Aye, but oliver won't make any money from you ? and will need to ask for seconds.

I wonder if we will begin to witness more plane engines going on fire due to their lack of use ? I'll be waiting a year till they have all been run in again just incase.
It was a Pratt and Whitney engine - they were years behind Rolls in their turbine blades. Those high bypass fan blades don't half take some load. I am sure here is an inspection procedure to bring engines back into use after being stood idle for a long time. In fact I seem to remember that they have to be 'turned over' on a monthly basis if they are standing. Sounds like inspections haven't been carried out well enough, maybe too many staff on furlough!

It was a Pratt and Whitney engine - they were years behind Rolls in their turbine blades. Those high bypass fan blades don't half take some load. I am sure here is an inspection procedure to bring engines back into use after being stood idle for a long time. In fact I seem to remember that they have to be 'turned over' on a monthly basis if they are standing. Sounds like inspections haven't been carried out well enough, maybe too many staff on furlough!
I don't like becoming a Guinea pig so I'll be holidaying at home or working through it. ? It must be bad, I heard lyanair lost 800 mill. ?

I don't like becoming a Guinea pig so I'll be holidaying at home or working through it. ? It must be bad, I heard lyanair lost 800 mill. ?
I'm booked for June 14th and if allowed I'm off. Flew around the world, as a very young child, in the 60's and if I survived that I'm fairly certain a 3 and a half hour flight today is a cake walk.

Feels like I've worked for 6 months without a break.

Kassiopi again, loads of bars and restaurants,  my type of holiday.
Jolly good Ime quite envious ?? lovely place we have been to Corfu many times we had friends that lived the for  several years but have now moved back to the uk . We haven’t booked anything at the moment just waiting to see how everything pans out , might go somewhere in September, thinking about kefalonia again ???

Hi Iv been in the business for 17 year and I recently had a xline hot water system fitted the problem I’m having is the system heats up but the water keeps changing temperature even with thermostat set the water gets so hot you can’t touch it I’m needing help why this is happening
Thanks

Iv been in the business for 17 year and I recently had a xline hot water system fitted the problem I’m having is the system heats up but the water keeps changing temperature even with thermostat set the water gets so hot you can’t touch it I’m needing help why this is happening
Thanks
The obvious answer to this is it sounds like the Thermostat is knackered

Hi Iv been in the business for 17 year and I recently had a xline hot water system fitted the problem I’m having is the system heats up but the water keeps changing temperature even with thermostat set the water gets so hot you can’t touch it I’m needing help why this is happening
Thanks
If it's recently been fitted then first point of call is XLine.
I know that some people have the hot water return to the tank when not flowing from the brush, that way the heater maintains a constant temp. I think if they keep starting up and shutting down or you stop the water flow to your brush you will get a lot of heat soak from the heat exchanger transferring the heat into your pure which will then go to your brush.

If it's recently been fitted then first point of call is XLine.
I know that some people have the hot water return to the tank when not flowing from the brush, that way the heater maintains a constant temp. I think if they keep starting up and shutting down or you stop the water flow to your brush you will get a lot of heat soak from the heat exchanger transferring the heat into your pure which will then go to your brush.
Thanks xline have told me the thermostat needs adjustment using the 2 ***** on top of the unit when you turn it right to the cold it still will get really hot they just said that’s all they can tell me (there not interested) I wash a building that takes over 1 hour and the machine will still go water warm to water boiling when using the system what ever setting you have the thermostat set at
The xline customer service is very poor they just basically say what you want to hear to get you off the phone
Thanks all help appreciated

Thanks xline have told me the thermostat needs adjustment using the 2 ***** on top of the unit when you turn it right to the cold it still will get really hot they just said that’s all they can tell me (there not interested) I wash a building that takes over 1 hour and the machine will still go water warm to water boiling when using the system what ever setting you have the thermostat set at
The xline customer service is very poor they just basically say what you want to hear to get you off the phone
I presume that you have a 2 man diesel heater. Do both heat exchangers perform the same?

Remember, a diesel heater is an adapted engine preheater. It heats an internal water circuit and your heat exchangers zap the heat from that to heat the water to your brush. I can't remember the actual temps but the Webasto Pro 90 will heat at full burn until the internal water circuit reaches around 78 degrees. It then goes into reduced heat mode until the temperature reaches about 85 to 90 degrees C. Once it reaches 90 degrees the heater goes into power down mode. That power down mode can take up to 90 seconds and happens when you switch the water off to your brush. If you switch your tap on then the heater will only restart when the water in the internal circuit reaches around 60 degrees. Restarting the heater could take another 90 seconds to get fired up. By the time your heater has fired up your water at the brush head will be cold. Continuing to clean will mean the heater will take a long time to reheat the water. If you have a high water flow then the heater may not heat your water much at all as the brush water will zap all the heat.
If you download a Webasto user manual for your heater and study it, you will see how to apply the heaters characteristics to your cleaning procedure.

I presume that you have a 2 man diesel heater. Do both heat exchangers perform the same?

Remember, a diesel heater is an adapted engine preheater. It heats an internal water circuit and your heat exchangers zap the heat from that to heat the water to your brush. I can't remember the actual temps but the Webasto Pro 90 will heat at full burn until the internal water circuit reaches around 78 degrees. It then goes into reduced heat mode until the temperature reaches about 85 to 90 degrees C. Once it reaches 90 degrees the heater goes into power down mode. That power down mode can take up to 90 seconds and happens when you switch the water off to your brush. If you switch your tap on then the heater will only restart when the water in the internal circuit reaches around 60 degrees. Restarting the heater could take another 90 seconds to get fired up. By the time your heater has fired up your water at the brush head will be cold. Continuing to clean will mean the heater will take a long time to reheat the water. If you have a high water flow then the heater may not heat your water much at all as the brush water will zap all the heat.
If you download a Webasto user manual for your heater and study it, you will see how to apply the heaters characteristics to your cleaning procedure.
That's why I like to get mine serviced each year from Oliver. If I need to know anything then he usually tells me. Education isn't cheap and that's why consultants can charge alot of money.

it sounds like its not very well set up although, if you are a sole user with what i assume is a 9kw heater the water would go from boiling hot to luke warm in use, my advice is to drive down to them and get them to sort it all out, in my opinion a 5kw is fine for one person and a 9kw is an overkill for one person

Latest Posts

Back