Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water problem

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Does anyone use their hot water just half the year? Finding im using a lot of diesel when used so was thinkin of just using it from oct-march. Or is that bad to leave the burner not used for so long at a time? 
And how often should a webasto diesel burner be professionally serviced? I was told around 2-2.5 years. 

Does anyone use their hot water just half the year? Finding im using a lot of diesel when used so was thinkin of just using it from oct-march. Or is that bad to leave the burner not used for so long at a time? 
And how often should a webasto diesel burner be professionally serviced? I was told around 2-2.5 years. 
I only use mine on really bad first cleans, on bad FSG's and when it's below 0 including wind chill. Mine's getting it's first service today and it's 10 years old. The service is getting done because of it's age, not because it's not working properly.

I get it serviced every year with my set-up. If you are worried about the diesel cost then put your prices up and get more customers. I did a big pvc clean yesterday and the hot water was the reason I could do it quickly and a good standard. I have never gave the diesel cost a thought because I'm too busy. That's me fully booked next month because the work has came in early.

I get it serviced every year with my set-up. If you are worried about the diesel cost then put your prices up and get more customers. I did a big pvc clean yesterday and the hot water was the reason I could do it quickly and a good standard. I have never gave the diesel cost a thought because I'm too busy. That's me fully booked next month because the work has came in early.
Yeah doing a price rise from April. I live in the south (not near the coast) my windows are typically always clean and regular, but i’ll be movin to the highlands at some point in future so ill probably be using my hot water daily lol! Isnt servicing it every year a bit excessive?

I only use mine on really bad first cleans, on bad FSG's and when it's below 0 including wind chill. Mine's getting it's first service today and it's 10 years old. The service is getting done because of it's age, not because it's not working properly.
Please may I ask who is servicing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.  I never noticed them. I did find an agent in Durham, Lifting and Cooling that are Webasto authorised agents. They talked the talk but then made all sorts of excuses for not booking the boiler in. Too difficult to get to - the diagnostics plug is usually tucked away and they can't find, it were a couple. Then I will get the workshop receptionist to book the van in but we will need the van here for a couple of days. Never heard from the workshop receptionist.

I bought another Thermo pro 90 and fitted that.

Yeah doing a price rise from April. I live in the south (not near the coast) my windows are typically always clean and regular, but i’ll be movin to the highlands at some point in future so ill probably be using my hot water daily lol! Isnt servicing it every year a bit excessive?
Aye, probably every two years would do and change the filter once a year.

Thanks.  I never noticed them. I did find an agent in Durham, Lifting and Cooling that are Webasto authorised agents. They talked the talk but then made all sorts of excuses for not booking the boiler in. Too difficult to get to - the diagnostics plug is usually tucked away and they can't find, it were a couple. Then I will get the workshop receptionist to book the van in but we will need the van here for a couple of days. Never heard from the workshop receptionist.

Turned up at 10, as arranged, and cars everywhere. He came out and said just leave the van and he'll let me know when to pick it up. I was expecting a couple of hours and had some jobs to price up so I did them and took the van back. Not the greatest of starts but he does seem to know what he's talking about, he also services the Webasto systems in the local NHS Ambulances. Will let you know

Put it on the computer, 1 fault code from old, low voltage. Nothing wrong with it, initially said it would be £80 + VAT but as there was nothing wrong he charged me £60 + VAT

We use our wabasto boilers 8 hours a day 5 days a week and never have them serviced , I spoke to the nearest wabasto service centre and there advice was if it’s working leave it until is stops or produces clouds of white smoke , they said there is nothing to service , all they replace when there is a problem  is the screen and pin and combustion Chainbure , my first one had well over 12,000 hours run time before it needed the above bits replaced that was 6:5 years old , personally I think the servicing recommended by  by certain window cleaning supply company’s is a con to get money out of your pocket as wabasto do not recommend servicing them I have spoken to several dealers and all said the same thing , if it needed servicing they would have been only to keen to suggest it as they would be making money from it . 

Turned up at 10, as arranged, and cars everywhere. He came out and said just leave the van and he'll let me know when to pick it up. I was expecting a couple of hours and had some jobs to price up so I did them and took the van back. Not the greatest of starts but he does seem to know what he's talking about, he also services the Webasto systems in the local NHS Ambulances. Will let you know
The ones in the ambulances are air heaters not the thermo 90 models we use for heating water , but they work in a similar way .

We use our wabasto boilers 8 hours a day 5 days a week and never have them serviced , I spoke to the nearest wabasto service centre and there advice was if it’s working leave it until is stops or produces clouds of white smoke , they said there is nothing to service , all they replace when there is a problem  is the screen and pin and combustion Chainbure , my first one had well over 12,000 hours run time before it needed the above bits replaced that was 6:5 years old , personally I think the servicing recommended by  by certain window cleaning supply company’s is a con to get money out of your pocket as wabasto do not recommend servicing them I have spoken to several dealers and all said the same thing , if it needed servicing they would have been only to keen to suggest it as they would be making money from it . 
Good to know thanks. How would window cleaning companies like xline make any money out of it if it has to go to webasto dealer? Theyre not getting commission are they

Good to know thanks. How would window cleaning companies like xline make any money out of it if it has to go to webasto dealer? Theyre not getting commission are they
Certain window cleaning supplies company’s that sell the boilers and install them say they need an annual  service to keep the warranty they are trying to get you to get them to service it , thus getting more money out of your pocket . 

Certain window cleaning supplies company’s that sell the boilers and install them say they need an annual  service to keep the warranty they are trying to get you to get them to service it , thus getting more money out of your pocket . 
James and xline told me i should get mine serviced in 2-2.5 yrs. not even knowing how much or how little i work. Lol

I would imagine that the company you are referring to would have a contract with Webasto and their servicing recommendations stipulated in that servicing contract. Its highly unlikely that someone from that company would pull an annual service requirement 'out of his hat.'

The issue here is Webasto have their product in many varied applications. Many years ago the red diesel sold on inland waterways for liveaboards was of very poor quality and coked those boilers up within a year. So they can't give a servicing recommendation for one industry and another for another industry.

There a bit from Webasto's service recommendations.

"While warranty is provided to the "original product owner", it is to be administered and serviced by Webasto Product personnel, or a Webasto Authorized distributor in accordance with the Webasto warranty policy or contractual agreement between Webasto and a second party. Servicing the heater at the start of each season is recommended. While such maintenance may be performed by any company, Webasto recommends that the vehicle owner use only Webasto authorized distributors. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids the Warranty. Parts including fuel nozzles, filters and overheat fuses are not covered under warranty."

Its up to us how we decide to run our Webasto. Road diesel does seem to be very clean and you have shown how many hours they last. I've had my Eberspatcher Airtronic in my old van for 10 years and its worked perfectly every year. It was second hand when I bought it so have no idea how many hours it had done before I purchased it.

The ones in the ambulances are air heaters not the thermo 90 models we use for heating water , but they work in a similar way .
I only mentioned it so that people realised he has the Webasto equipment and assume some form of licence.

£60 (£72) for 5 minutes work to plug in a laptop to the diagnostics lead. I need to review my prices
Any computer diagnostics are expensive, cost me £45 18 years ago for my car. Fairly certain Webasto will licence the software or charge a fee to be approved. He did quote £96 so didn't have to drop it to £72.

The way I see it, buy a £10k system and then penny pinch on the servicing. ?

Making good money now and I want to keep it that way so i don't mind giving them a turn. Any problems and they are just at the end of a phone call or email. I don't have a business without my system so I want to take care of it. 

Latest Posts

Back